The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to post PDF file in Tablature Section
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 1:52 pm    

Wish Mickey Deacey' s site were still up and running. He had a bunch of great tunes in E9 and C6. He wrote to me and said we could share them on The Forum.

I encountered difficulty trying to put his PDF tab of. "How High The Moon" up and got this message:

"The Datatype application/pdf is not supported"

Can anyone help me by explaining how to post a PDF file on The Forum? If I know how, I'd be glad to make more of Mickey D's fine 'tabs available.
Thanks, Stevet

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 2:42 pm    

Hey Steve...temper this with the fact that this advice (or suggestion!) is coming from a complete computer moron. I was under the impression that you could only post jpg images in the tablature section. If this is the case and you have a scanner and printer, maybe you could print out the individual pages in the pdf file, then scan them in individually as jpg's, and post them that way as a collection of individual sheets (jpg's). I'm sure there's an easier way to do this but I have succeeded doing it this way in the past.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 3:07 pm    

If you can do a screen shot of the PDF and save it as a jpg, you should be able to upload.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 4:23 pm    

No need to jump through hoops, just open the .pdf file in an Image Editor like The Gimp and save it as a .jpg file.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2016 3:23 am    

Not "jumping through hoops" using the built in Windows "Snipping Tool". It saves as a .jpg. No need for a 3rd party program.

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2016 8:38 am    

I guess that 'jumping through hoops' is a matter of definition. Using one program to get a screenshot of the output of an another program seems more roundabout to me than making a simple file conversion with a program designed to do that. The GIMP is GNU software and as such is included with many GNU/Linux distributions and so is NOT Third Party Software in those cases. Most, if not all, *nix systems that I have seen in twenty some years of using them come with at least one quality image editor.

FWIW, I prefer to use a system, usually a GNU/Linux distribution, which provides the application software that I will want as part of the initial deal rather than adding on software from various sources and vendors. That, however, is probably a topic for another thread. Back on topic, the GIMP however is available for all modern (and many antique) Operating Systems and I am happy to highly recommend it.

Don't take any wooden nickels! Don't jump through any hoops! Cool

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2016 10:05 am    

All you have to do in Windows is open the Snipping Tool, select the data (screen, free form, etc) and save it as a .jpg. For Windows users, couldn't be any simpler.

I have no idea what is needed in Linux. I'm a PC tech and don't need it.