The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Playing Outside
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 6:52 pm    

Last night I played an outside gig, where it later got cold. I tuned my steel up at the first of the gig and, as the gig went on and the temp dropped my guitar was getting FLAT. I could not wait until TWO things happened, break time and end of the night.
I wish I understood why this happens. And I would like to know if this has ever happened to y'all and how do you combat it?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 6:59 pm    

As the temperature drops, the guitar contracts just a smidgen. Just enough to knock it out of tune.
If you're lucky, the whole guitar moves as one

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 1:47 am    

Tommy I'd venture to say if you were out of tune the whole band was too. Temperature is a variable you live with. If anyone in the band says anything about you being out of tune...blame it on the Bass player. Smile

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 4:59 am    

My guitar went out of tune, sitting in the house, after the last temperature change...to be expected with any instrument

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 5:58 am    

I hate outdoor jobs. I turn most (basically all) down. I've done outdoor jobs in the past, both in Kansas City in the cold and here in Florida in the humid heat. Usually, after an outdoor job its "string changing time".

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 6:37 am    

It's o.k. to play the French horn out of doors if you're actually using it to hunt. And the saxophone, which was commissioned by the French army to be (amongst other things) weatherproof. There the list ends, I think.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 7:46 am    

Ian Rae wrote:
It's o.k. to play the French horn out of doors if you're actually using it to hunt. And the saxophone, which was commissioned by the French army to be (amongst other things) weatherproof. There the list ends, I think.

I believe if you're out hiking and come upon a cave, it'd be okay to crawl in and toot your mouth organ for a minute or two. The bats might like it, too.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 7:56 am    

Ian Rae wrote:

I give up: why would the slide trombone be problematic outside?

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:08 am    

I played outside Saturday in Maxwell, TX, not far from Austin. It was low 60's when we set up and sound checked, and at the end of our two hour set it was 47 degrees. I tuned once mid way through, the entire guitar had gone very slightly flat, so I just 'cheated' a bit until I retuned while the front guy was blabbing to the crowd Smile. It was fine the rest of the way. As Lane mentioned, it's fortunate when the guitar stays in relative tune to itself..

This is a '67 Emmons bolt-on, which according to common thinking is more sensitive to temp changes and tuning, but I personally haven't seen it. I have a '66 bolt-on, same thing. They both seem just as stable as any of several other P/Ps, Carters, and ShoBuds I've owned. As noted above, all guitars are somewhat sensitive to tuning when the temp changes, not much you can do about it IMO.

FWIW, I see a lot of guys talking about moving to Texas to get more gigs. If playing outside isn't something you want to do, this is the wrong place for you. I'll bet at least half, probably more, of the gigs I do are outside (or in old dance halls without A/C or heat). It's the nature of the work around here.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:09 am    

Slide trombone? Whoa!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:09 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Ian Rae wrote:

I give up: why would the slide trombone be problematic outside?

For the first two beats of the measure when the bell is pointed down, all is good. For the second two beats when the bell is pointed up, not so much.

About the French horn: isn't that "the ill wind that no man blows good?"

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:25 am    

When I need to play outside, I usually choose the melodic minor or super-Locrian. YMMV. Wink

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:33 am    

Quote:
When I need to play outside, I usually choose the melodic minor or super-Locrian.

LOL...

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:37 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
Slide trombone? Whoa!

Ian played and taught the slide trombone before coming to steel, at least that's what he's said before.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:48 am    

I've played some of the friggin coldest outdoor gigs known to man and I also noticed the guitar got kind of a thunky flat sound besides having to tune a lot.

I also played a week long gig at Six Flags where it was 108 onstage every day with no shade.

At this stage in life,I just say no to outdoor gigs.

Last edited by Dick Wood on 21 Nov 2016 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 8:55 am    

In Minnesnowta, it's hard to play steel with chopper mitts! Whoa!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 9:26 am    

When the guitar is sharp or flat, playing can be problematic, but that shouldn't deter playing if you listen carefully...and avoid open strings. You have to find the tonal center of the rest of the band, and adjust the bar slightly to compensate. Usually, I've found that the more I monkey with the pedal tuning in this situation, the further out I get. Accept that you'll probably never sound as good in that environment as you would indoors, and just go on playing! Cool

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 9:28 am    

I quit playing outdoors years ago. The condensation buildup after the sun went down on my equipment was extremely heavy at times and not a bit good for it. Jack

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 9:59 am    

In Louisianna, A fair amount of festivals , functions, parties , weddings, etc, are often outdoors.

I can't give the people who hire me one more reason to be unavailable. It can be uncomfortable at times. I played one Saturday where load in was a disaster, and the bugs were brutal. It was a drag, maybe that's why they call it "work".

In sports they say " ability is part of availability" . Sometimes you've got to say yes, to keep the phone ringing. Sometimes outdoor gigs are a blast, it's not all bad.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 10:01 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Erv Niehaus wrote:
Slide trombone? Whoa!
Ian played and taught the slide trombone before coming to steel, at least that's what he's said before.

Lane is right. In fact I still play and I'm about to go out to rehearsal. A trombone slide looks robust enough to the layman but is extremely fragile; it has a very thin wall and must be exactly cylindrical at every point. Also when you play out of doors the sound disappears into thin air (literally) and it's not very rewarding because you can't hear yourself and you tend to over-blow. (Remember when you see a military band that they don't have a choice.)

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 1:44 pm    

I have always liked playing outside when the weather is perfect. Clear, no wind and around 78 degrees and you are playing in the shade. I like the sound you get outside.
But, as some of you have said, it can be very miserable if conditions are not right. Played Six Flags once I think in March and one of those Blue Northerners came in, 28 degrees and 30 MPH wind with sleet. We were in the Gazebo. That's slowest I ever played Steel Guitar Rag, LOL.
Then once we played at the Mustangs statues in Las Calinos and it was like 110 and no shade. My friends fiddle case melted and my steel was almost to hot to touch. That lasted about 20 minutes and we had to quit. The Sho-Bud Super Pro I had once would go almost a fret out of tune but the old push pull would just barely move. Still playable.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 4:06 pm    

I hate outdoor gigs because the sound just goes 3 feet in front of the stage & dies. No walls to bounce the sound off of, or sound "live".

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 9:20 pm    

The only guy who wasn't out of tune was the drummer. The place we played at was a cabana with a roof at, a
local restaurant. The owner has vowed he is going to put some bisqueen around the open walls. We have played there during the hot Louisiana summer and really had no problems. Hope he, the owner gets the problem rectified.
Tommy

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 2:28 am    

Rich Upright wrote:
I hate outdoor gigs because the sound just goes 3 feet in front of the stage & dies. No walls to bounce the sound off of, or sound "live".

That's exactly what we brass players hate - punching an empty bag.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 8:43 am    

I'm lucky to live in Northern California, where the temperature is nice for outdoor gigs. For most of the year, about 2/3rds of my gigs are outdoors. Most venues have an outdoor space for drinking and/or dining.

Once I was playing with a big dance band in the evening as the sun was setting. September. We were facing directly into the sun. The temperature was mid-70s but it felt warmer because of the direct rays. The sun set and my guitar immediately cooled down. My tuning dropped about 20 cents in 15 minutes. It was crazy! Other instruments were affected too, but my black D-12 got the worst of it.