The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Mustang III V2
George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2016 7:45 am    

Just Bought a Fender Mustang III V2.

Could any of you that use this Amp please share with me your .fuse files with your custom settings to made this Amp sound good for pedal steel?

Randy Owens

West Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 4:08 am    

I have the Mustang II v2. I'm expecting to have visitors staying here from Wednesday through the weekend. They don't know about my PSG "sickness" so I wanted to come up with a nice preset that I could use with headphones. My big amp doesn't have a headphone jack so I turned to the Mustang. I settled on the "Neil 57" amp which is a '57 Deluxe in tweed and selected the small hall reverb. I deleted the delay and fender spring reverb that goes with that preset. It sounds pretty good through phones and definitely acceptable through that little 8" speaker in my amp.

I also recommend using the Fender Fuse software to anyone using this amp. It's much easier to work with the amp via laptop than those knobs. If I can figure out how to export my settings, I'll gladly send them to you.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2016 5:33 am    

I have a G-Dec-3 which has the same basic Fender Fuze software. It's not hooked up right now, I'm going through a noise-removal syndrome and four preamps at once seemed a little overkill-ish; but, I do remember finding the "British Blues" to have the most pleasing mid-range proportions. Turn the final volume all the way up and the preamp (gain) REALLY low, like 17, 15 on a numeric scale, maybe 2 ->2 1/2 on the knobs. The names they put on the models are... somewhat hallucinatory, like they often treat the Twin Reverb as an 85 watt "tube amp" which to THEM means it starts distorting at "5" or so. You just have to go through ALL of them - if your modeling has a "Jazzmaster" setting that was Fender's OWN dead-clean, 200w "jazz guitar amp." Sort-of meaning a Roland JC120. And the cabinet choices matter a LOT, too. Many, many hours ahead...

George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2016 6:51 am     Thanks

Hi Randy & David,

Thanks for your replies.

I am trying different settings. If I end up with one I like (That seems to work) I will email you the *.fuse file so you can try it & let me know what you think.

Josephus Vroomans

The Hague, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 8:47 am    

This is my setting, trying to make it sound like a Twin. My PSG teacher played my Stage One through the Mustang with this setting and said he really liked the sound.

BTW: Instead of a regular volume pedal I use the Fender EXP1 pedal, which only works with the Mustang III, IV and V. Advantages: it's not in the signal chain so it doesn't influence the tone, there's no noisy pot, and it's really inexpensive.

George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2016 3:16 pm    

Hi Josephus,

Thanks, I will try your settings. If I come up with something different that I like, I will send you the .fuse file.

Bob Bestor

Ashland, OR
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2017 8:19 pm     Thanks Josephus!

I just got my own Mustang III. I plugged in your settings and they sound fabulous! Thanks for sharing. Love this forum!

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2017 6:16 am     fender mustang111steel amp

hi george check my post on page one

George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 6:06 pm     Hi Warren Tavernia

Hi Warren Tavernia,

I sure will check it out.

By the way, I now have a Eminence DOUBLE-T 12 Travis Toy 12" speaker in mine. It is now even lighter. I also blocked the back, installed acoustic sponge & 2" ports. With this Speaker rated at 300watts & the Amp at 100watts. there is no distortion at high volume.

To me,it now sounds like a steel guitar amp with a 15" speaker, although it is very light.

I will be trying your settings on it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Last edited by George Winter on 30 Aug 2017 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Josephus Vroomans

The Hague, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 10:33 pm    

100 or 300 ohms? You probably mean Watts.

George Winter

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 11:04 pm     Hi Josephus

Hi Josephus,

You are right. it's watts not ohms. Thanks for pointing that out, I have corrected it.