The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Change pass word
Richard Vogt

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 10:41 am    

Is there a way to change password on start up? When I set my lap top I set it for facial recognition now it won't recognize that.I don't know that much about computers so if you know how to do this would you explain to me.Thank you Richard

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 11:39 am    

You don't need a password at all if you would prefer not to have one.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 12:35 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
You don't need a password at all if you would prefer not to have one.

If I understand what happened, it looks like the OP can't get into the system to make p/w changes. What am I missing?

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 12:50 pm    

Dave:

We are missing critical information from Richard.

Richard:

You don't say whether you are using a Mac, a Windows 7 PC, a Windows 8 PC, a Windows 10 PC---so we are all in the dark.

If Windows 7, take a look at this tutorial about password changing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/238737-user-account-reset-password-windows-7-a.html

I know little about facial recognition software and am not sure how it might affect your problem. Presumably, you can go back into the facial recognition configuration and undo or cancel it.

You may have to pound on Google for an answer. You may even have to rig up some type of boot disk to start up.

Here's the last year's worth of Google hits on resetting facial recognition in Windows.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=reset+windows&as_epq=facial+recognition&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=y&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 5:20 pm    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
Dave: We are missing critical information from Richard.

True, Mitch. And that's how questions here appear most often - not enough information to formulate a definitive response.

But what I wonder, about this one, is this:

My experience with password management, in all the software I've had any experience with, is that one needs to be in the software, to be able to make changes to critical things like passwords. I, like you, have no experience with facial recognition access. But, given the fact that normally, to make changes to password data, one has to already have the software running to do that, if password is set to "facial recognition", and that fails, what's the recourse? Surely, there must be something users of "facial recognition" can pursue as a workaround.

I'm pretty sure the purveyors of "facial recognition" security don't want that kind of bad press.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 15 Nov 2016 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Mitch Drumm

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 6:17 pm    

Dave Potter wrote:
But, given the fact that, normally, to make changes to password data, one has to already have the software running to do that, if password is set to "facial recognition", and that fails, what's the recourse? Surely, there must be something users of "facial recognition" can pursue as a workaround.

I agree with all of that.

It may require activity in the BIOS.

Or bootable media of some kind?

Or a repair install with Windows installation media?

I deliberately don't use passwords to get into my PC, but I'd guess most people do?

All I can suggest is for Richard to pound Google and that's why I provided that link.

I have no doubt at all that hundreds or thousands have faced his issue and got around it----but I'm purposely uninformed on facial recognition stuff.

Offhand, it would seem to me to be a major can of worms since it's relatively new technology. That's all the reason I need to avoid it.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 4:26 am    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
It may require activity in the BIOS. Or bootable media of some kind? Or a repair install with Windows installation media?

Well, we still don't know any specifics, and until we do, it will remain a mystery. Out of curiosity on this "facial recognition" thing, however, I ran across the following in a PCWorld article on Windows Hello, the Windows 10 facial recognition technology:

"Update July 30: Windows Hello has failed to recognize me on a couple of occasions -- one when I had just gotten out of the shower and my hair was wet, and another for an unknown reason. If Hello fails, you have the option to log in normally via a PIN or standard password."

So if the OP uses Windows Hello, he should have the PIN/password options available. This is similar to the fingerprint login on my cellphone; if it fails to recognize my finger, it offers me the option of using my PIN to get into the device.

Quote:
I deliberately don't use passwords to get into my PC, but I'd guess most people do?

We share that aversion - passwords are an unmistakable testimony to the dark side of human nature, and they're just a royal PITA. I don't have one on my PC either, except when we go out of town, and then I use a strong one. If anyone broke into the house, without password protection, a lot of sensitive personal information could be harvested.

Quote:
Offhand, it would seem to me to be a major can of worms since it's relatively new technology. That's all the reason I need to avoid it.

Googling it, I did find quite a few admonitions it's not ready for prime time.