The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1964 Emmons Redbelly Wraparound #6 built for Neil Flanz
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2016 2:45 pm    

Bump for a great guy and cool guitar.

b.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 9 Dec 2016 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 2:00 pm     Red Belly

I know the guy that Barrett bought this guitar from and the guy that owned it before him. Unfortunately the first owner has passed on but he was a great player. The guy that Barrett bought the guitar from built his own guitar and as I recall it had a different scale than the usual.

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 4:57 pm     Re: Red Belly

Charlie Hansen wrote:
I know the guy that Barrett bought this guitar from and the guy that owned it before him. Unfortunately the first owner has passed on but he was a great player. The guy that Barrett bought the guitar from built his own guitar and as I recall it had a different scale than the usual.

When this guitar first came up for sale on the forum back in 2013 (by the daughter of the first owner you spoke about) I tried to buy it, but missed out. And as fate would have it, I ran across it again here in Nashville. Definitely had a "it will be mine" moment and I ended up buying it eventually. Half because I wanted a redbelly, and the other half because it was Neil's. From what I understand it was the only '64 Emmons in Canada at the time of its original posting on the forum in 2013. I keep trying to justify keeping an instrument of this rarity, value, and caliber but at this point I think it's time to pass the torch, so to speak.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 5:09 pm    

Barrett, I did a forum search as far back as I possibly could (10 years) and there was only 3 wraparounds listed for sale in that period, your 1964, mine 1965 and one S10... to have two great wraparounds listed for sale at the same time is just something that never, ever, happens...as rare as they are, I thought both of these guitars would have sold in a matter of days...

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 5:17 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
Barrett, I did a forum search as far back as I possibly could (10 years) and there was only 3 wraparounds listed for sale in that period, your 1964, mine 1965 and one S10... to have two great wraparounds listed for sale at the same time is just something that never, ever, happens...as rare as they are, I thought both of these guitars would have sold in a matter of days...

I'm shocked as well brother. These guitars have to be experienced to be appreciated in my opinion, and the low numbers of these in makes that tough obviously. The tone is like no other Emmons, much more "haunting" is how I've described it to people who ask. These are really special guitars from the early days of Emmons.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 11:07 am    

Actually the guy that had the guitar for sale in 2013 was the second owner that I knew. I have a recording of that guitar somewhere and if I find it I'll send a link to it.

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 6:41 pm    

That would be great, Charlie. I've thought about posting a video so people can understand how incredible this guitar sounds.

Charlie Hansen

Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 6:27 am    

Here's a sound file of the Red Belly. It was done about twenty years ago in my home studio. Gordie Mathews on steel, Lawrence Patzer on guitar, Mel Burns on bass and me on vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/charlie1942/honky-tonk-heartbreak

Hope this works.

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 11:25 am    

Damir Besic wrote:

I have bought and sold a lot of Wraparounds. They usually don't appear on the forum. That being said, I have sold three through the forum. Do a better search.
Bigsbys don't appear on the forum for sale very often either, but the market is very active. I know of seventeen Bigsbys that changed hands this year and there are surely more.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 11:30 am    

Chris Lucker wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

I have bought and sold a lot of Wraparounds. They usually don't appear on the forum. That being said, I have sold three through the forum. Do a better search.
Bigsbys don't appear on the forum for sale very often either, but the market is very active. I know of seventeen Bigsbys that changed hands this year and there are surely more.

Chris , if you found more info it would be great if you would post it, my search was on the Forum going only 10 years back... and it satisfied me, and what I was looking for, more info is always welcome, but at this point I don't find necessary for me, to do any more searching...

Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 1:47 pm    

I have had posts in the for sale section that say something like " High end pedal steel guitars for sale"
Those truly interested in buying a wraparound or a Bigsby knew what that meant. The tire kickers or those wanting to complain about no price being posted so they could simply complain about the price did not. Sales worked swiftly and well.
Regarding sharing information about completed sales, no. I pay $1,000 finders fees for authentic Wraparounds and Bigsbys just as people retain me to find guitars and to assess authenticity or, in the case of Bigsbys, production record info for them. I have invested a lot in what I have learned in collecting both Wraparounds and Bigsbys, and of course, from the expertise of Mike Cass who has worked on more Wraparounds than anyone except Ron Lashley.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2016 2:18 pm    

Chris, that makes sense then, because my search included words like "wraparound" and similar...which didn't turn out too many results,if any...

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2017 6:44 pm    

Bump. Price listed. Who wants a first year Emmons? Let's give her a new home.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2017 10:49 pm    

I bet this one will end up in Texas as well...

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 6:49 pm     Wrap around

I sold a 1966 d10 wraparound on here around 1999 or 2000 to a fellow in san Antonio named Louis feridu (spelling).. it was serial number 2471 no D just the number.. I did most of the restoration myself.. it was a basket case when I got it in 92 I bougfht it from Deno music center in Casa Grande Arizona .. Billy Copper did the Final rodding and set up.. I wish now I would have never sold that dude ,. live and learn I guess!! By the way that guitar was a tone monster buddy Charlton took it home with him for a spell before I sold it and said he thought it to be a dandy.. sorry cant find a photo..
Boo Miller
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 12:34 pm    

what pisses me off is that this is first year 1964 Emmons wraparound, one of the best steel guitars ever built, and it cant sell for 12 grand, and there is an old mandolin for sale right now for $12500 , and that is a perfectly normal price for that mandolin, but God forbid you ask that for 1964 wraparound, you immediately get all kinds of stupid smart ass comments, and questions like "is that a typo" , "is that a price for 3 wraparounds" etc... ridiculous ... bump for a great guitar, at a great price...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:20 pm    

As a '64 wraparound owner myself, I feel your pain, Damir. But the sad fact seems to be that there's more money chasing after vintage acoustic instruments than there is in vintage steel guitars, the Bigsby being the obvious exception... so far.

We're in a very limited market.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:23 pm    

I understand that, but do we have to put up with idiotic comments every time we try to sell steel like that? common, if I have nothing nice to say about someones post, then I rather say nothing at all ...

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 1:43 pm    

What most steel players don't realize, or maybe care about, is that the Emmons wraparound is a different guitar than the standard cut-tail tonally, it has a different timbre. For that matter, so did the two 1964 wood neck bolt-ons I had for a few years there. Something changed when the metal neck bolt-on came on the scene in 1966. The guitar became more brash, more intense.

POSTSCRIPT: I've been informed by a knowledgeable source that there was a full metal neck bolt-on built in Fall of 1965. Two defining characteristics of the wraparound is that it's the only Emmons guitar in which the changer is not attached to either the endplate or the neck, and that the necks are hollow rather than ribbed.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 3:12 pm    

Quote:
what pisses me off is that this is first year 1964 Emmons wraparound, one of the best steel guitars ever built, and it cant sell for 12 grand

Why get upset? If you feel it's a great deal? Buy it for yourself. As for Forum members, they are always going to comment on items they feel are over priced. Value is subjective. Also, I doubt anyone willing to spend that kind of money gives a hoot what Forum members think.

Herb is right. Very small market for this item. Not many can afford to spend that much. Many prefer the the Bolder sound of the Bolt On's and Cut Tails. Again subjective.

Still, there is a market for these. Just going to take time to find a buyer.

No vested interest here. Just my opinion. Worth what it cost you.

b.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 3:16 pm    

Quote:
they are always going to comment on items they feel are over priced.

that is exactly my point, if you feel its overpriced, than you either cant afford it, or you are not in the market for it, no need to make any stupid comments on other people post... it is flat out rude...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:14 pm    

Agreed. But complaining that and item is not selling won't make people want to buy it. If anything it has the opposite effect. That's the point I was trying to make.

I should have stayed out of this. I know better.
Best of luck to the seller and the future buyer.

b.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 8:08 am    

Good post, Bobby.

An item as remarkable as this is going to excite all sorts of comments. It would be a shame if people didn't feel that the discussion was an open one - even if our interest is purely as spectators this sort of rarity is enjoyable to look at and, even, offer an opinion or two.

It's a tiny market for such a guitar. How many appreciate its significance? A few hundred at most and they're not all Forumites.

I think it's worth the money but I have yet to 'earn' such a piece of history. Anyway, I play music for a living which is another factor that precludes me from membership to this particular market place.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 8:27 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
Quote:
they are always going to comment on items they feel are over priced.

that is exactly my point, if you feel its overpriced, than you either cant afford it, or you are not in the market for it, no need to make any stupid comments on other people post... it is flat out rude...

Perfectly stated Damir.

Quote:
An item as remarkable as this is going to excite all sorts of comments. It would be a shame if people didn't feel that the discussion was an open one..
And therein lies the problem. It's not a discussion, it's a classified ad fer cryin' out loud!

Don't look like it's ever going to change. Smile

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 8:32 am    

Jerry!

I meant a discussion about the guitar, not the ethics of selling it.

Technically only those who have serious intentions about buying it should even post here - but my point was that it's a rare item and.....

Oh, forget it - I thought my post was clear. More political correctness called for, I suppose.