The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MB200 vs Quilter Mini101 vs BX250
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 4:30 am    

MB200 vs Quilter Mini101 vs BX250

I'm looking to maybe get a small amp to pair with my Tommy Huff 15" cab with a Telonics Neo in it.

All of the above are right in the same price range.

Any thoughts on one over the other. This would be strictly for PSG.

If I stretch my budget a little I could probably go to a used Quilter Pro Block 200 or something else in the same range.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 5:29 am    

I have the MB200 and the BX250, the Carvin has the most features and, in my opinion, is the best value. You can sound good with either of those, maybe you can find a good deal on a used one. I have not tried the quilter, and have no interest in doing so, it seems to me you don't get much for your money with it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 5:39 am    

I have an MB200 and a Carvin BX500 (next step up from the BX250). Big difference in sound between the MB200 and the BX500 as the BX500 has a 12AX7 tube in the preamp. I haven't been a "tube type" for many years and have had only solid state since the Session 500 in the early 80's. The BX500 changed my mind. Our lead guitar player who is a "must have Fender tube amp" type tells me the BX500 is the best sound I've had (we've been together 16 years). The owner of a local music store who is a Peavey dealer and also a steel player told me my sound with the BX500 is far superior to the MB200.

I'm using an Eminence EPS15-C speaker.

If the budget will let you, consider the BX500.

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 5:40 am    

Right now I am using an MB200 along with a Dispatch Master #8829, made by Earth Quaker Devices - (Similar to an RV-3 But much better control over both delay and reverb) Using a front ported cabinet, closed back with a 1501-4 Black Widow DT - Am really liking what I hear!

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 7:18 am    

Jack I've been really looking at the BX500 for exactly the reason that it has the 12AX7 in the pre-amp.

I can probably get a used one for around the same price as a new MB200.

I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted. W.C. Fields

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 7:49 am    

I switched from the MB200 to the Carvin BX500 and really like it. I run it with the Dispatch Master pedal as well. Nice amp head.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 1:43 pm    

To the BX500 users, can you describe how your sound is "better"? I currently have the MB200 and it gets the job done, just wonder how much of an improvement the Carvin would be??

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 3:33 pm    

I'm using a MB2oo with a 15" JBLcab an d a DD3 for reverb I think my guitar sounds the best it ever has have gotten a lot of questions about how I got the sound never told any I play with that I had changed to the MB200 my back stood up and applauded.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 3:19 am    

There is a used BX500 listed on the forum for sale, at a good price.

I've used both the MB200 for a couple of years and now the BX500 for almost two years. The MB200 is typical solid state amp. When I first got the MB200 (and used it with the Eminence EPS15-C speaker) I thought "wow" this really sounds good for a small amp (and I've kept the MB200 and don't intend to sell it). But, after getting he BX500 and setting it to the 12AX7 tube preamp mode my thought was it makes it sound very close to a tube amp, not the "sterile" sound of many solid state amps. Along with the Eminence EPS-15C, which sounds like the old JBL K-130 I used to have in a Twin Reverb, Its back to having some tube amp "character".

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 4:27 am    

I've owned a MB200 and a Quilter 101 Mini. The Quilter tone is very tube-like to my ear, a definite cut above any solid state amp.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 4:37 am    

I have owned all three of the amps mentioned and prefer the Carvin 250 over all. The 'MB 200' sounded a bit sterile to my ears and never could dial in a satisfactory tone with the Quilter Mini without the use of a preamp (as a power amp only it sounded great however).

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 9:48 am    

Thanks all

I just bought the Carvin BX500 Ray Thomas has for sale on the forum. Most likely I'll be using my Tommy Huff cab with the 15" Telonics Neo in it.

I'm real interested to see how the 12AX7 tube warms up the sound.

Anyone care to share their settings for the BX500?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2016 11:07 am    

I can give you mine. However I have a different guitar and Lawrence 710 pickups Will make a difference. But a starting point.

My BX500:
there is a switch on the rear for tube mode Out is tube mode.

Drive 3
Contour Flat
Compressor Off
Bass +4
Parametric 1 +1 200Hz
Parametric 2 -1 800Hz
Treble +1
Master 4
Graphic EQ Out

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 4:44 am    

Jack, Thank You!

That will get me in the ball park. I can tweak from there.

I have a method for setting my amp by ear.

But having a mid shift can get a little dicey. The BX500 has two mids. I'm sure that's where I'm really going to need to shape the amp to match the guitar.

I think I'm going to be happy with the BX500.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 5:28 am    

You will find that the mid controls on the BX500 have a very wide range. The amp's basic sound is quite neutral, with the controls straight up. The contour control also affects everything. I suggest starting with the contour completely off, bass full on, both mids, and mid freq straight up. If you want more bass, first bring down the low mids, adjust the low freq up or down. do the same with the high mid freq controls. You will have to turn the knobs some to find your sound. The graphic eq does a lot too, with that, I usually lower the the mids and highs a bit. There are so many controls, that you have to have some patience and spend some time making adjustments. It's a great amp, I think you will like it.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 5:32 am    

Everyone hears different. What one considers great sound can be crap to someone else.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 1:52 pm    

Here is pic of how my BX500 and MB15 are set today in my music room. I've been playing a GFI D-10 the past couple of days. These settings are close to what I usually use.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2016 5:31 pm    

A few people done the and-500 mod. Anyone here try it?

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=279733&sid=da8c24602f9a121e00e73e3c0ada5da9
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2016 9:33 am    

I bought a BX-700 a while back, and according to the Carvin website today, the BX-500 is still available. Best I could tell the only real difference is a lighted panel, and cosmetics, but there may be some other minor diffs. I bought mine through the Carvin ebay store. They have some deals there from time to time, you just have to watch. I checked today and saw this, which is cheaper than the BX-500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVIN-BX700-700W-LIGHTWEIGHT-BASS-AMP-AMPLIFIER-HEAD-W-12AX7-PREAMP-TUBE-/152315830712?hash=item2376bb21b8:g:s5EAAOSwzaJX2HiS

I've been piddling with it some in my studio, but haven't really gigged it yet. I like what I'm hearing though, and I have the head and a TC Electronics G Major 2 in a 4 space rack and a single lightweight extension cab with a Sica 12" speaker. Very portable, but very loud if needed.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 2:49 pm    

Holy Cow!

I've played with the BX500 now for maybe an hour. I started with it set completely flat without ANY effects and it sounds good. Tweaking the knobs a bit and it keeps getting better. I added a tiny bit of reverb and delay and it's getting there.

Now here's my issue. Playing it through a 4 ohm speaker at 500w it's knocking me down set at "2" on the master volume.

When I add a little bit of drive it gets real good. It's almost as touch sensitive as a tube amp. Pick it lightly and it's clean dig in a bit and you get just a bit of hair depending on where the drive is set.

I'll just never use this much volume!

But I sure am digging the tone!

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2016 5:44 pm    

You can lower the output some by turning on the "active" switch on the front panel. That's intended for use with active bass pickups, it lowers the input level. At home, I leave the drive control off and set the volume to 3 or a little less. On gigs, I will turn them both up to the same level, whatever is needed. Also, turning up any of the graphic eq sliders will bring the volume up, I usually don't raise them, I only lower them if I need to. This amp can get really loud if you want it to. The more you play with the controls, the more you will like it. Smile

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 3:15 am    

Very Happy Very Happy

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 8:10 am    

I've not turned on the graphic EQ on my MX500. I don't seem to need it, so I bypass it. Anyone else leaving it off?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2016 8:51 am    

As noted in my settings (above) I don't use it.

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2016 8:09 am    

Now I'm getting somewhere.

I noticed some very unpleasant distortion today while playing through the amp.

I tried setting the "active" switch and no luck. I plugged in my Freeloader and it gets better.

I took a look at my pickup "LXR-16" and some how it seems to have worked it's way up and was too close to the strings.

I dropped it down a little and boom. Distortion gone and I can turn the amp up to 3 and stay in the same room.

I told Jeff Newman I went to see Junior Brown who was playing through 2 Twins and I seriously lost my hearing for several hours. Jeff Newman said Junior only has two settings on his amp, Stun and Kill and he rarely uses Stun.

I think this amp has Stun, Kill, and Vaporize.