The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  problem tuning pedal
Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 3:23 pm    

I am trying to get my R knee lever L to change my G# to F# but for some reason it just flats the G# to G ... the fingers are at the end of the travel.. its on a 95 Emmons... any ideas would be much appreciated .. Thank You In advance.. Ron

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 4:40 pm    

Back off the split screw at the right end of the neck. If that's not the problem, then you need to have more travel in the linkage...maybe loosen up the KL stop for that, but make sure the split screw is backed off enough first. The changer can't lower any further than that screw will allow.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:24 pm     re re

ah here it is sorry..

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:32 pm     re re re

AHA! I went down to the music cave and checked out my old steel and you were right about the split screw, I can see where it is adjusted way in so it is impossible to get the length.. thank you for the heads up, been MANY years since I have had to do anything with my PS liked it the way it was TILL I bought my williams and discovered some different pedal changes... .. Hey Thank You again, VERY much appreciated .. now I'm going down to work on it..Ron

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2017 6:34 pm    

If your guitar is a LeGrande, Lashley LeGrande etc. it should have the screws indicated by the arrow in the photo I posted. If you can't gain enough travel by loosening up that screw and you have enough travel in the linkage otherwise, I don't know unless there is some obstruction like a broken string ball etc. in the changer finger/scissors.

Edit: Didn't see your last post before I posted this. Glad you got it figured out. Good luck.

FWIW, Mickey has posted a video somewhere concerning so-called "split" screws...a term which is completely misleading. True, they do allow you to tune a split on the guitar, but it's true function is simply a lower stop. It's the boss of lowers.

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 4:42 pm     got it!

thank You for the tip... been REALLY a long time since I had to do any pedal changes, over 20 years... guess I liked what i had with this old Emmons, but after buying my Williams there were some new pedals and it really opened up my eyes to different things.. thats why I did the change... I put new strings on the Emmons today and have to say WOW.. specially with the new pedals!!! might be putting up My Williams for sale now.. Just can't beat an Emmons just wish it was lighter heh heh .. oh well once again Thank You..

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 5:52 pm    

I know that you found the answer but for those who use a wound 6th string it takes a considerable amount of travel to lower it from a G# to an F# and there are some guitars that simple cry "Uncle!"

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 6:02 pm     Re: got it!

Ron Shalita wrote:
thank You for the tip... been REALLY a long time since I had to do any pedal changes, over 20 years... guess I liked what i had with this old Emmons, but after buying my Williams there were some new pedals and it really opened up my eyes to different things.. thats why I did the change... I put new strings on the Emmons today and have to say WOW.. specially with the new pedals!!! might be putting up My Williams for sale now.. Just can't beat an Emmons just wish it was lighter heh heh .. oh well once again Thank You..

You're very welcome Ron. Glad I could help. I've been through some of the same issues so I feel 'ya.

Enjoy that Emmons and your new changes.