The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Cougar Slidemaster 6 Black Mica 4+4 [close please]
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2016 8:13 pm    

$750+S/H. Cougar Slidemaster 6. Built by the late Freeman Cowgar. Set up in E major w/common pulls found on standard E tuning less chromatics.

BEG#BEG# low to hi. 6 string all pull changer.

4 pedals, 4 knees. I built and added the 4th pedal using an old pedal rod, a Mullen pedal and some homemade parts from alu stock. I can pull P4 off if someone doesn't want it.

I put B to Bb lower on this pedal

2 pc. keyhead w/closed gear economy tuners.

Wilkinson® tele® neck style pickup. Cavity worked for angled or straight orientation.

Triple raise, double lower all pull changer. Splits added for more versatility. Pull rods are 3/32 so Williams, and probably Emmons will work if you want to add or change stuff.

Lightweight aluminum legs. Adjustable rear v. wing nut inserts. Front legs use a set collar to set height for pedal bar mounting

Issues: LKR is a little stiff for some reason, maybe due to the gear style reverser. Not bad though, just a little stiffer than the others.

I added the 4th pedal

The fretboard is a little wrinkled from me pulling it off. I experimented with a fretted board for a while and an idea on tunings and playing with both fretting and barring.

Case is very heavy.

I drilled the neck for splits, then discovered the screws didn't work well with the changer finger locations so I made a plate to cover those holes at the neck. I drilled and tapped through the body for the splits where they work perfectly fine.

I found I can play just about anything with this that I could on the 10 string with a little forethought and mindset. Even some 6th stuff. I put the D note on low B RKR ala universal.

I have to let this one go with apologies to David Slack who went way out of his way for me to acquire it for which I am eternally grateful.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 15 Dec 2016 9:02 pm; edited 5 times in total

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 6:57 am    

Cool steel, with floor pedal, knee levers legs etc at lap steel prices.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 7:35 am    

Thanks Johnie. Of course, any tuning desired could be used with proper string gauges. Lots of possibilities. Friendly standard guitar string spacing too.

This is a professional grade all pull 3/2 changer.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 15 Dec 2016 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 11:42 am    

<bump>

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 1:05 pm    

wonderful guitar for a more then fair price...I think this guitar can do just about anything needed in today's country music...I believe times of big heavy D10's are gone, today's country music is not what it used to be, and this guitar is more then likely, all you would need in today's top 40 country music band...this reminds me of one guitar I should have kept it, Lamar S8 4+5 keyless...it was not much heavier then my briefcase....this little machine is probably close to it, maybe little longer because of the regular key head...very nice...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 10:39 am    

Thanks my friend. I appreciate your input. I've done a half dozen or so gigs with it. All the basic pedal steel sounds, moves and changes are there. After getting used to the abbreviated string complement, I found it pretty easy moving around on the neck and utilizing the pedals and levers to get the other changes I'm used to on the 10. No one, including the guys I play with could tell any difference.

You can pick this guitar up with one hand. Leave the heavy case at home, load it in a gig bag, and it weighs less than your amp/speaker cab. Yet stable to play. I've played pro S10's that wiggled and were less stable than this 6.

David Becker

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 4:22 pm     Cougar Stringmaster

pm sent

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2016 8:02 am    

Fun little six banger here. Can go traditional pedal steel sounds, open tunings with pedal benders or ??

Only issue is the variety of rod clips & retainers...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 10:20 am    

del...

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 15 Dec 2016 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Derrick Unger

Newark Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2016 7:58 pm     Starter

I can't believe this has not sold yet!! Would make a great starter Steel..especially with that all pull changer..
Music is good for the soul..playing it is even better! Gretsch6strLapSteel*PeaveyNashville400*HudsonSD-10*DigitechRP360*FenderChampion100*PeaveyKB300*Goodrich120*Behringerx1204*BehringerMini4*Mullen S10"Discovery"*Peavey Vegas400*Princeton112plus*SuperChampX2*SidekickReverb65*Rumble100*MarshallMG50DFX*Nashville112

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2016 2:44 pm     close 'er up

This little sweetie is headed to a warmer climate. Wish I was. Thanks all.