The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beyonce and the CMA's?
Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2016 11:00 am    

Erv - Right on!

In Rays' own words: "As noted by himself in the liner notes for What'd I Say (1959), Charles was influenced by the genre in his youth, stating that he "used to play piano in a hillbilly band" and that he believed that he "could do a good job with the right hillbilly song today."

All semblance to a "hillbilly or country song" ended with the lyrics on both albums.

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2016 12:15 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
...but Charlie Pride could have taught him a thing or two about singing country songs. Even The Beatles and the Rolling Stones did some country songs, but that didn't make them country singers (in my book, anyway). Rolling Eyes

Donny, you might like this one of Ray Charles Country tunes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxwDv52RrI

or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqBCe_tAg6g

or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbJd8wwfno

The point I'm gently trying to make is (with regard to Beyonce and Ray Charles), there are many forms of country music and it doesn't have to be the exclusive domain of artists that only perform that genre.

BTW, I believe you are a Charley Pride fan, right? Are you familiar with the late, great Stoney Edwards? He never achieved the high profile of Mr. Pride, but he was 'bout as country as you can get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qriRfcvOZY

Stoney faced controversy with his song, "Blackbird"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkATTkgBVuk

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 6:08 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The reason they have these "no-fit" stars at shows is simply to expand the demographic appeal. They want more audience and revenue, so they throw in more "stars", regardless of their actual relevance to the show or the genre. After all, these shows are more about making money than they are about awards or country music, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll get over the whole debacle. Because for every real country music fan that is "offended", they know that there are a thousand that will watch anyway for the overall spectacle, and could (NOT) care less about the purity of the content. Oh Well

That sums it up very well.

I gave up on those shows years ago, when it dawned on me that most of the country artists appearing did their very best to be as "un-country" as possible. It's as if the burden was on country to prove that they were "real" musicians by conforming to somebody else's genre.

Barbara Mandrell sang "I was country when country wasn't cool." We have come full circle, and are right back there again.

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 6:39 am    

3/4 Time - from the 1983 lp "Wish You Were Here Tonight" -

All Music review of that lp - "One of Columbia's "Best of Times" specials, this features Ray Charles doing nice, sometimes above average, country pop and countrypolitan, plus some nondescript filler. This isn't one of his better releases, or the label's."

Do I Ever Cross Your Mind & Sensuous Woman - From the 1984 lp "Do I Ever Cross Your Mind"-

All Music review of that lp - "A fairly typical example of Charles' '80s period doing country music in Nashville, which is to say respectable performances that aren't a patch on his '60s country-crossover material. The title track was a minor country hit single and the album made the lower reaches of the country LP chart. But Charles remains an eclectic; some of the material fits better into the pop and R&B categories than it does country."

As for Stoney Edwards - "Stoney Edwards never made it to the big time, yet he and his soulful honky tonk sound had a devoted following, and he was one of the few African-American performers to try his hand in the genre."

A real good voice and even tho' he started late in life and never made the big-time, he managed to chart 15 singles on U.S. country charts between 1970 and 1980. One of his songs, "She's My Rock", reached #20 on the country charts and stayed there for almost 4 months.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2016 11:13 am     My two cents...

b0b wrote:
My sister and I once opened a punk rock show with our folkie hippie act. The kids sat on the floor very respectfully and honestly appreciated it.)
Great... I wonder if they thought you were related to Hilly Kristal (Country Bluegrass Guitar & Banjo) I don't have the pleasure of knowing you b0b but I did know Hilly and there is a slight, grizzled resemblance.

But really... any broadcast that generates revenue by selling advertising is one thing and one thing only; ENTERTAINMENT. And the only thing that matters whether it's NFL, MLB, Oscar, Tony, CMA, et al is eyes on the screen. (and not the prize)

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2016 10:07 am    

No relation. My sister is Lou Buckingham of the band Wasted Wine. She's a multi-instrumentalist, but only plays bass in the band. I'm sure they'd play the CMA show if asked. It doesn't seem likely! Alien

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 5:13 pm    

John Booth wrote:
Our expectations are now lowered, paving the way for Garth and Snoop Doggs new release hit single, "I'm Just A Rappin Cowboy From The Slap-a-Ho Tribe"

standards lowered?
Beyoncé can do nothing but raise those standards.
also, Snoop Dogg fan here.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 5:45 pm    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
John Booth wrote:
Our expectations are now lowered, paving the way for Garth and Snoop Doggs new release hit single, "I'm Just A Rappin Cowboy From The Slap-a-Ho Tribe"

standards lowered?

Pete Woronowski

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 5:54 pm    

I was going to watch it but the new commercials were coming out on another channel so I did that.
They were awesome!

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 5:54 am    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
John Booth wrote:

standards lowered?

Snoop fan here as well. Love the collaboration between Willie and Snoop on Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 6:24 am    

Why does everyone get so upset about these award shows? It is a huge money-making industry, Pop Country. The traditional country will always keep churning along, but the money is in the new stuff. Come on, man, you've got to let it go and let the younger generations do their thing.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 7:32 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Why does everyone get so upset about these award shows? It is a huge money-making industry, Pop Country. The traditional country will always keep churning along, but the money is in the new stuff. Come on, man, you've got to let it go and let the younger generations do their thing.

I don't think they get upset, I think it makes them feel better about the music they grew up with. A lot of people have a generational bias against new music and when they tune into commercial award shows they think it confirms their opinion that modern music sucks.

A lot of modern music in awards shows does sucks, but great music is alive and well in the 21st century.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 7:39 am    

Quote:
new music

Are you seriousley thinking that it is new, Mark? The Dixie Chicks thing with the same old tired chord changes?

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 8:25 am    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Quote:
new music

Are you seriousley thinking that it is new, Mark? The Dixie Chicks thing with the same old tired chord changes?

Joachim, I've worked so many award shows and Super Bowl music performances. I worked in TV for 9 years. Worked the ACMA's, Tony Awards, Super Bowl, Grammy's...was in the control room for most of them, if someone tunes into those shows and thinks the music sucks with few exceptions I'm inclined to agree with them.

My memory is foggy but I probably worked on three ACMA's and the music in every single one of them was completely forgettable. I wouldn't turn to those shows looking for new music.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 9:59 am    

It would be interesting to try and convince a (any) network & (any) music organization to promote, advertise, market and broadcast, a "Classic Country" Music Awards show. What and how would you define "Classic country"? I guess it's like that line "you know it when you hear it".

What "Classic country" is not is: Nashville pop formulaic anthem-like river-dance morphed into a truck ads that could equally be used to sell Sugar Pops.

If any of you have raised a little girl and put her in the local dance studio, you've watched with joy as she's clogged and twirled to the latest Nashville Pop song, in unison with 12 other seven-year olds. It's popular music, and the tune sounds pretty much like every other popular hit that she's danced to over the years. It's catchy, it's popular, it makes you feel good watching your seven-year old smile and clog away. But it's not Country--In my opinion (which doesn't mean diddly squat, I know, I know).

Classic Country, in my (twisted, yes) opinion, is about trains, and dogs, and women leaving you, (and "she's got everything it takes, to take everything you've got"), and prison, and whiskey, and love, and heartbreak, and it's about Merle, George, Willy, Ray, and, well you know.

'Nashville Pop' is put out by really great musicians, who've found work. Good for them. I'll bet many would secretly admit, it's not real country.

My little rant. Time to get back to work.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 10:25 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
It would be interesting to try and convince a (any) network & (any) music organization to promote, advertise, market and broadcast, a "Classic Country" Music Awards show. What and how would you define "Classic country"? I guess it's like that line "you know it when you hear it".

What "Classic country" is not is: Nashville pop formulaic anthem-like river-dance morphed into a truck ads that could equally be used to sell Sugar Pops.

If any of you have raised a little girl and put her in the local dance studio, you've watched with joy as she's clogged and twirled to the latest Nashville Pop song, in unison with 12 other seven-year olds. It's popular music, and the tune sounds pretty much like every other popular hit that she's danced to over the years. It's catchy, it's popular, it makes you feel good watching your seven-year old smile and clog away. But it's not Country--In my opinion (which doesn't mean diddly squat, I know, I know).

Classic Country, in my (twisted, yes) opinion, is about trains, and dogs, and women leaving you, (and "she's got everything it takes, to take everything you've got"), and prison, and whiskey, and love, and heartbreak, and it's about Merle, George, Willy, Ray, and, well you know.

'Nashville Pop' is put out by really great musicians, who've found work. Good for them. I'll bet many would secretly admit, it's not real country.

Won't happen unless it makes them a lot of money.

If you want a classic country music awards show your best bet is Dale Watsons grass roots award show that I posted a few page or two back. That's it, forget about the CMAs or AMCAs the ship has sailed. It's commercial genreless music.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 10:31 am    

Thanks for the honest reply Mark.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 11:16 am    

Mark Hershey wrote:
Brooks Montgomery wrote:

Won't happen unless it makes them a lot of money.

If you want a classic country music awards show your best bet is Dale Watsons grass roots award show that I posted a few page or two back. That's it, forget about the CMAs or AMCAs the ship has sailed. It's commercial genreless music.

Must be the marketer/sales rep part of me, but I've got to think that if it was tee'd up properly, with big names, a few big sponsors, and a producer with cajones, it would get a great audience. Tie it into our new reality--How about, "Make music great again" Evil Twisted (sorry)

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 11:22 am    

. . and I will check out Dale Watson's award show. He's great and has come to Challis Idaho several times for the Braun Bros. concerts. I was in a short-lived band (the Bill Hanna band) with Don Pawlak (his pedal player) back in, I think, 1980. Don was going to school in Missoula, and I'll never forget him playing pedal-steel thru Leslie speakers for a funky organ effect.

Last edited by Brooks Montgomery on 14 Nov 2016 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 11:41 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
. . and I will check out Dale Watson's award show. He's great and has come to Challis Idaho several times for the Braun Bros. concerts. I was in a short-lived band (the Bill Hanna band) with Donnie Pawlak (his pedal player) back in, I think, 1980. Donnie was going to school in Missoula, and I'll never forget him playing pedal-steel thru Leslie speakers for a funky organ effect.

I saw them play in NYC about a month or towo ago and met Don after the show. Super nice guy and an amazing band. My second times seeing them and will see them the next time they come back.

http://www.ameripolitan.com/about.html

Here's the link again. Next show is in February 2017, I'll have to go through it check out the bands and vote. We can either complain or do something that we feel gets us going in the right direction. The great thing about the modern era is we don't have to accept the country shows on ABC or CBS anymore have an option available.

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 1:05 pm    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:

Snoop fan here as well. Love the collaboration between Willie and Snoop on Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die.

i'm unfamiliar w/ that track, i'll have to check it out.
i'm mostly into the Doggystyle/Dr. Dre stuff.

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 4:29 pm    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:

i'm mostly into the Doggystyle

Aw, never mind!

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 8:39 am    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
Jamie Mitchell wrote:

i'm unfamiliar w/ that track, i'll have to check it out.
i'm mostly into the Doggystyle/Dr. Dre stuff.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUmZCEnds0

They performed on Letterman together as well. I watch a lot of B Real's youtube show The Smoke Box and west coast hip hop artists are constantly giving Willie respect. I think it goes deeper than just the marijauana as well, his music just so smooth!

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 10:33 am    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:

Mark Hershey wrote:

Here it is.

Hot steel solo at 2:22. Anyone know who?

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 10:36 am    

b0b wrote:
Jamie Mitchell wrote:

Mark Hershey wrote:

Here it is.

Hot steel solo at 2:22. Anyone know who?

Mike Johnson.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger