The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beyonce and the CMA's?
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 12:21 pm    

This was the first time I'd watched the show from start to finish in many years and for the most part I enjoyed it... I was smart in having been watching a movie while it was on and recording the CMA's so I had the option of fast forwarding through things I didn't like... As far as Beyoncé, I enjoyed mostly looking at her and her costume.. She was visually stunning as were the two Dixie Chicks (the banjo and fiddle players) but Natalie Maines looked ridiculous with that horrible hairdo... I enjoyed the Dolly segment and it was nice to see Randy Travis out and about. He looked like he wasn't doing too well to me... It was nice seeing Roy Clark in the opening segment along with other legends throughout the show... Ol' Vince Gill looked like he's been adding some pounds though! If they did the shows like this every year I'd probably be a regular viewer but if they return to their usual format they can count me out.. I do like the ladies outfits though as I guess I'm just an old perv..........JH in Va.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 1:10 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
The entire premise is slanted, many will read this thread thinking this is a diss on Beyonce, which it is not.

This was the COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS show, not a general awards show , not a generic music awards show.

COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS show.

People tuning in are Country Music fans , this was not the platform to open our minds to other genre's of music , there are plenty of venues for that.

This was an AWARDS show.

If you want to bring out some performers, bring out the ones who are well known and connected to the GENRE of the evening.

I read a review from the Huffington Post , Beyonce was the smash hit of the night along with the Dixie Chicks.

Of course silly me, I thought the purpose of an awards show was to celebrate those who got awards, whether we agree with the awards choices or not.

The show producers will say, we have opened up Country Music to a new audience of whom would not ordinarily participate.

Right, and they never will again either.

I am guessing that at the next Hip Hop awards show they will invite Brent Mason and Paul Franklin so that the people viewing can be exposed to some real fine pickin'.

I think that would be awesome to see.

I've read plenty of hip hop artists that cite Johnny Cash as an influence. B Real from cypress hill loves country and folk. Snoop has already come out saying he likes country music and he's performed with Willie. Beastie Boys sampled blue grass banjo on Paul's Boutique and Johnny Cash before. I've heard southern rock sampled on other albums. I think the genre is pretty open minded and pull sounds from every genre imaginable.

http://tasteofcountry.com/top-country-rap-collaborations-songs/

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 1:45 pm    

John Booth wrote:
It seemed (to me) more like Earth Wind and Fire's tour bus ran over a Congo-Gospel group
playing on Bourbon Street. The only thing missing was a Kanye West interruption and some full frontal by Miley Cyrus.

Good one John! Laughing

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 2:23 pm    

I haven't seen the show yet except for an online video of the Beyonce/Chicks thing. I'm not real sure what music genre it fits into but right off I thought it was pretty good.

I was mostly watching the 7th game of the excellent World Seres last night.

But I did record the CMA Awards. Through the wonders of the DVR and the Fast Forward button I would expect when I do watch it I might actually end up viewing about 40 minutes worth as I have done over the past several years.

Some of use here are old enough to remember television prior to the invention of the remote control. The idea of owning a TV nowadays and not having a remote control is of course absurd, but there was a time we actually had to get up out of our chair to change the channel or adjust the volume.

In the modern era I feel the same way about the digital video recorder. I rarely watch anything in "real time" anymore except for some sporting events or maybe the 11 o'clock news.

I can't even fathom having a TV in my living room without the DVR feature to go along with it to fast forward through commercials, or through segments in broadcasts like awards shows to skip the stuff I have no desire to view.

I do find some things on the CMAs every year I enjoy, but the idea of sitting through the entire broadcast from start-to-finish, commercials included? I don't know how anybody does it.

I'd take a root canal over that any day of the week.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 4:41 pm    

Look you guys. REAL Country music is out there, but you have to go to it. It's not coming to you in your recliners anymore.

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 4:53 pm    

Would'nt it be nice to have Daryl Singletary, Mo Pitney, Darrel McCall, Amber Digby, Bobby Flores, Jake and Tommy Hooker, Gene Watson, Moe Bandy, Tony Booth, The Time Jumpers, 45 RPM, Rhonda Vincent, Tea Goins, The Malpass Brothers, and call the awards Real Country Music for Real People With Common Sense And Good Taste!
Will not happen because 13 year old girls and boys haven't grown up and never will like we did. That is where the MONEY is folks! A new culture of spoiled fairy tale children that live with the folks all the way through college that are too weak to work on cars, lawnmowers, pump gas, bale hay or hundreds of other things we did as kids many years ago. Unfortunately it's a new world thing.... just my 2 cents.

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 5:07 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:
Look you guys. REAL Country music is out there, but you have to go to it. It's not coming to you in your recliners anymore.

If you're addressing me as part of your post Clyde, I don't fit the profile. It's why I'm good at condensing the CMAs to about a 40 minute broadcast because of the wonders of the DVR.

As far as contemporary country music which is the real deal or closely related to the real deal that I've gone out of my way to find, I have enough CDs since about the year 2000 that if stacked on end might exceed my 6'2" height.

As to the the "today's hot country - all the hits" FM radio stations that feature the Jason Aldeans, Florida/Georgia Lines and all the rest I doubt that I've logged much more than an hour's listening time total to that type of radio since about 2000. And some of that might be "forced" listening, like while I was getting a haircut and it's the station of choice in the barber shop.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 5:13 pm    

Now Clyde's a good picker and he does play a lot of good country. He's still payin dues out there like the rest of us die-hards. Hell, we'll all probably die on a honkytonk stage someday. But No doubt, these Aldeens, Fla Georgia Lines, and the dozens of other soundalikes will be long forgotten before the Hag or Jones is forgotten. The real shame is the Hag or Jones never made the money these young crackers make. That's what they got for doing it for the music instead of selling out.
Jb

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 5:59 pm    

Clyde Mattocks wrote:

I keep coming back to Dale Watson for my current country artist. Him and Sturgil are my favorites.

Dale is starting a grass roots movement for those of us that love teh old school stuff. Probably a good point to help him spread the good word about the Ameripolitan Music Awards:

We’re not leaving Country Music behind, we’re taking “real” country music with us.
The Ameripolitan Music Awards were created to benefit and acknowledge artists whose work does not readily conform to the tastes of today’s “country” or other music genres and organizations. It also provides fans with a means of finding these artists and their music.

Ameripolitan – This thought provoking word is intended to be an invitation to discuss the future of the music that is important to so many of us. By leaving the hopelessly compromised word “country” behind and exclusively using the term “Ameripolitan”, our intention is to reestablish this music’s own unique identity, elevate its significance and help reinvigorate it creatively. Also, because of our place in history, we have the privilege and responsibility to pass a great musical tradition on to future generations who will otherwise have no direct connection to this music.

We believe this extra effort is necessary because, for the majority of people under the age 50 years old, their country music experience has been vastly different. As far back as the 1970s, corporations began descending upon country music. Executives, disdainful of the great musical tradition they had inherited, were placed in charge of country music. With ruthless efficiency they separated the music from its roots, redefined the brand, until finally, they succeeded in remaking country music their own superficial image. Today, the only remaining vestige of tradition in country music is the name.

The days of debating the definition of what is, and what is not country music now seem irrelevant. No one involved in producing country music today can even begin to comprehend the argument. Alabama and Lynyrd Skynyrd are classic country to them.
In our opinion, it is time to concede the point, leave them all to their own devices, and put the whole unpleasant chapter behind us. Once we have stopped wasting our time defending the “good name” of country music or decrying the ill-suited alternatives, we can go back to where the record skipped and continue on from there.

The Ameripolitan Music genre is here. We invite all of you who love Ameripolitan Music to help spread the word.

2017 awards are February 15th.

http://www.ameripolitan.com/about.html

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 7:15 pm    

Thanks Steve Allison for including the Malpass Brothers in that wish list. I play with them and my point is we play to packed houses of people who are starved for real country music everywhere we go, but we're not gonna turn up on an awards show or CMA special. I also have a classic country band, Without Further Ado that enjoys good support. Brian Batten and I swap steel duties with Jonathan Parker, who is a dynamic performer of gritty country. But I run into friends on the street who decry there's no country music anymore, but I never see them at any of these shows. I'm sure many of you have similar experiences.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 10:22 pm    

I'm surprised that anyone watched the Country My Ass award show with the greatest baseball game ever happening live on another channel. Rolling Eyes

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 3:37 am    

Exactly right B0b!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 3:49 am    

It's not country music. It's Nashville Pop.
And a bumpersticker I spotted really sums it up:
"It's not just because I'm old. Your music really does suck".

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 6:26 am    

The reason they have these "no-fit" stars at shows is simply to expand the demographic appeal. They want more audience and revenue, so they throw in more "stars", regardless of their actual relevance to the show or the genre. After all, these shows are more about making money than they are about awards or country music, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll get over the whole debacle. Because for every real country music fan that is "offended", they know that there are a thousand that will watch anyway for the overall spectacle, and could care less about the purity of the content. Oh Well

Eliminate the intermediaries who are getting rich of of you. Turn off the TV, and buy an indie CD (not a stupid sound file), or just get off your ass and go out and and watch a local band. That's the way to really support the music you love.

All IMHO, of course.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 6:46 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
The reason they have these "no-fit" stars at shows is simply to expand the demographic appeal. They want more audience and revenue, so they throw in more "stars", regardless of their actual relevance to the show or the genre. After all, these shows are more about making money than they are about awards or country music, and the sooner you realize that, the sooner you'll get over the whole debacle. Because for every real country music fan that is "offended", they know that there are a thousand that will watch anyway for the overall spectacle, and could care less about the purity of the content. Oh Well

Eliminate the intermediaries who are getting rich of of you. Turn off the TV, and buy an indie CD (not a stupid sound file), or just get off your ass and go out and and watch a local band. That's the way to really support the music you love.

All IMHO, of course.

What is a 'no fit' star? The hippies in the 60's were considered 'no fits' and they made country music better.

I agree with everyone that modern country sucks, but that doesn't mean the artform should stop evolving. What is even pure country music? The best stuff I've heard from the classic period has outside influences. Yodeling from appalachia (Yodeling originated in Africa worked its way up through Europe and on over to the US), latin horns (ring of fire), blues influence, polynesian influence, influence from the hippie counter culture, jazz, rock and roll and so on.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 7:28 am    

I agree that music should and will evolve . But there's "real" and then there's BS pandering. Maybe it all started with the veggie burger Laughing

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 7:35 am    

There has always been one single driving force deciding what the music business does in Nashville --- making a buck!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 11:42 am    

Mark Hershey wrote:

What is a 'no fit' star?

Someone who really doesn't "belong" on the program, someone who has contributed zip to the genre and whose focus is in an entirely different direction.

Quote:
The hippies in the 60's were considered 'no fits' and they made country music better.

Sorry pal, but IMHO...you got that one backwards. It was country music that made the hippies better!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

With all due respect, those who profess that this is just a natural evolution of the artform don't know the difference between "evolution" and "bastardization". The reason you never saw Kitty Wells or Loretta Lynn performing at a Megadeath concert is the same reason you'll never see Rich Homie Quan or Fetty Wap singing at a bluegrass festival. Rolling Eyes

George Bernard Shaw wrote:
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 11:48 am    

Amen, Donny!

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 12:12 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Mark Hershey wrote:

What is a 'no fit' star?

Someone who really doesn't "belong" on the program, someone who has contributed zip to the genre and whose focus is in an entirely different direction.

Quote:
The hippies in the 60's were considered 'no fits' and they made country music better.

Sorry pal, but IMHO...you got that one backwards. It was country music that made the hippies better!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

With all due respect, those who profess that this is just a natural evolution of the artform don't know the difference between "evolution" and "bastardization". The reason you never saw Kitty Wells or Loretta Lynn performing at a Megadeath concert is the same reason you'll never see Rich Homie Quan or Fetty Wap singing at a bluegrass festival. Rolling Eyes

George Bernard Shaw wrote:
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Beyonce recorded a modern country song on her latest album and it is a show celebrating modern country music. Country entertainer of the year Garth Brooks gave her his approval:

"Queen Bey and the Dixie Chicks, I thought that was just power, just raw power," said entertainer of the year Garth Brooks. "I just love that it was feminine raw power."

From everyone that actually watched the show and listened to her performance it sounds like she stole the show or at the very least was one of the key highlights of the night. I'm not arguing that modern country is good, but I will argue that there isn't a single good reason that I've heard as to why she shouldn't have been there.

Also, for fun I googled Dave Mustaine and country music because my guess is he's a fan. Yep, he was at the award show last night and looks like his daughter is a country music fan. I hope he ends up on that stage next time around.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 12:48 pm    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
I agree that music should and will evolve . But there's "real" and then there's BS pandering. Maybe it all started with the veggie burger Laughing

wait a minute ... I like veggie burgers.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 12:52 pm    

My sister and I once opened a punk rock show with our folkie hippie act. The kids sat on the floor very respectfully and honestly appreciated it. The high decibel headliner came on, and they turned into a frenetic mosh pit. (We left.)

Mark Eaton

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 12:55 pm    

R & B/Soul recording artist releases country & western album with red cover in 1962, attains Gold Record status that same year with sales of 500,000 plus copies:

I like veggie burgers myself, but I must say the left over hamburger I had for lunch today that I grilled a few days ago kicks butt on any veggie burger.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 1:14 pm    

I could call veggie burgers "pandering burgers", but PETA might confuse the spelling and picket my house.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 1:30 pm    

. . .and as much as I hate to admit it, my wife has cooked a good veggie burger every now and then (or as I call them: pickle and onion spacers), but I always have to follow them up with 1/2 pound of beef jerky.