The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beyonce and the CMA's?
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 10:50 am    

According to savingcountrymusic.com,

"LATE BREAKING: Beyonce has officially been announced as a late-edition to the lineup. She will perform during the beginning segment with The Dixie Chicks singing her “country” song “Daddy Lessons.”

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 5:06 pm    

Just one more reason to watch South Park or Duck Dynasty. Laughing

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 5:26 pm    

She's going to perform "Twerkin' Man Blues" Laughing

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 5:41 pm    

I generally don't care much for award shows but I can't see her being any worse than anything else on that show.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 5:44 pm    

Too funny Jeff.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 6:23 pm    

Rumor is she has started playing steel guitar and will play A Way to Survive on the Show. Also the show will end with a two tributes: one to Carl and Pearl Butler and another to Faron Young.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 7:04 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Rumor is she has started playing steel guitar and will play A Way to Survive on the Show. Also the show will end with a two tributes: one to Carl and Pearl Butler and another to Faron Young.

And that's when I woke up. Laughing

RC

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 12:51 am    

At first I thought this was a joke... Sad

Then it dawned on me that it's probably because of The Age of Aquarius. So in another 2016 years we may get back to Steel Guitars at the CMA and Beyonce can go back to doing whatever she was doing before.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 2:49 am    

Jeff Garden wrote:
She's going to perform "Twerkin' Man Blues" Laughing

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 5:19 am    

So I just watched the performance with an open mind and here's my thoughts the good and the bad.

- The song went on too long.

- Seemed like a rootsy gospel number with folk instruments as opposed to a country number. To be fair most contemporary country music seems to be a fusion of genres.

- Coming from someone that worked a couple of the the American Country Music Awards about 8 to 9 years ago I thought the quality of the performance was a little above par for the course (I don't like modern country) and I thought the energy level they brought was the strongest point. Most of the time award show music is just commercial crap to my ears, and this fell in that group.

- I thought it was better than anything I've seen out of Blake Shelton with exception to the Glen Campbell tribute he did at the Grammy's.

- I give them props for going against the grain and doing something that ruffled a few feathers.

- Next time she writes a country song it should include some pedal steel (an intro, some pads, and a break).

My overall rating I give the tune a 3 out of a 10. Compared to the ACMA's I worked I probably would have given most of the performances 1's or 2's so all things considered not bad for the CMAs but still pretty bad.

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 6:03 am     Cma

Who played steel om the show? Blue sparkle?

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 7:57 am     Two cents

I thought Miranda Lambert was the best of the night, followed by Beyoncé with the Dixie Chicks, and overall the music seemed better than the last few years, I heard some steel a few times, but only saw a steel player once. I was wondering if anyone else hates medleys as much as I do ? And did you notice how George Strait is always the coolest guy in the room.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 8:05 am    

Long live King George! Very Happy

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 8:31 am    

Maybe I'm not the guy to ask, but to me it seemed about as far from country as you could get.

It seemed (to me) more like Earth Wind and Fire's tour bus ran over a Congo-Gospel group
playing on Bourbon Street. The only thing missing was a Kanye West interruption and some full frontal by Miley Cyrus.

I know I'm an old Phart, but I'm so glad I got to grow up listening to, and playing, real country music.

But never mind me. Me and my kind will be gone soon enuf and these posers can own it all because the younger
generations won't know any better.

Jb

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 8:42 am    

Quote:
I know I'm an old Phart, but I'm so glad I got to grow up listening to, and playing, real country music.

But never mind me. Me and my kind will be gone soon enuf and these posers can own it all because the younger
generations won't know any better.

Amen to that John, I feel your pain.

According to the media, it would seem that Beyonce crushed the CMA show - it's all they could talk about.
If that is so, then IMHO something is way out of balance...
http://us.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2016110334421/Beyonce-CMAs-performance/

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 8:48 am    

This is real? I thought it was a joke. Whoa!

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 9:02 am    

You know, I've tried so hard not to be like my father. When the Beatles landed in the USA you'd
have thought the commies were here to take our country away. I try to be tolerant, and I don't think
old guys like me should stop these new acts from playing what they want to play, but there are two things
that I take great issue with.

Firstly, it is NOT country music. It is a new genre and should have its own name. Pop? Wimp-rock? Rap-rock?
I don't care what they call it, but it shouldn't be called country. They wouldn't call Count Basie country.
They wouldn't call Led Zeppelin country. Since when is Beyonce country?

My second issue is vocals. For example, the male country VOCAL duo of the year winner. Florida Georgia Line?
Really? Their vocals biggest current hit is so compressed, so heavily auto-corrected, that it sounds like a pair of robots
attempting to sing. Since when does that qualify them as a great VOCAL duo? Those guys couldn't hit a
Marty Robbins high or a George Jones low note if their lives depended on it.

Sheesh, I dunno ... I give up. Never mind me, I'm a dinosaur.
Jb

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 9:28 am    

I don't mind you going on John. You worded it so nicely!
Give me some of Maria McKee anytime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aR1wCZBM_o

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 9:36 am    

The entire premise is slanted, many will read this thread thinking this is a diss on Beyonce, which it is not.

This was the COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS show, not a general awards show , not a generic music awards show.

COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS show.

People tuning in are Country Music fans , this was not the platform to open our minds to other genre's of music , there are plenty of venues for that.

This was an AWARDS show.

If you want to bring out some performers, bring out the ones who are well known and connected to the GENRE of the evening.

I read a review from the Huffington Post , Beyonce was the smash hit of the night along with the Dixie Chicks.

Of course silly me, I thought the purpose of an awards show was to celebrate those who got awards, whether we agree with the awards choices or not.

The show producers will say, we have opened up Country Music to a new audience of whom would not ordinarily participate.

Right, and they never will again either.

I am guessing that at the next Hip Hop awards show they will invite Brent Mason and Paul Franklin so that the people viewing can be exposed to some real fine pickin'.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 9:48 am    

A lot of people were really upset when they started using drums on the Gran Ole Opry--I think they started with brushes. I don't like the current country but I don't particularly like the older stuff without drums or electric guitars. I have no idea why those are my preferences, I didn't grow up listening to the country from the 60's, but that's what I like now, In the sixties and seventies I was listening primarily to folk music and Bach.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 9:58 am    

Did anyone else hear the tape skip during the Alabama performance at the beginning of the show?
I am trying to find the segment to watch it again.

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 10:17 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
The entire premise is slanted, many will read this thread thinking this is a diss on Beyonce, which it is not. I am guessing that at the next Hip Hop awards show they will invite Brent Mason and Paul Franklin so that the people viewing can be exposed to some real fine pickin'.

I'm certainly not trying to diss Beyoncé. It's not a race thing, it's the logic behind the selection of performers booked to appear at a genre-specific awards show.
You're absolutely right Tony.

Man, I grew up on Motown as much as anything else and to this day I thoroughly enjoy the Motown sound. It was quality music, appropriately named, and I deeply respect the talents of the likes of Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, and all the other greats of the era. There's room for everyone in the world of music, but you have to question the agenda of those entrusted to putting these shows together. First things first: What kind of show is it? OH, a COUNTY music show? OK then, How about we get Snoop Dogg to host it? Where the H-E-double hockey sticks does thinking like that come from? Is somebody drunk down there? If I did my job like that they'd fire me.

The pity is that people like us, those who coagulate in a steel guitar forum, are obviously real country music fans, and we set aside time to watch a "country" music awards show, only to see Beyoncé "crush" it (per the reviews) and nobody seems to notice the glaring contradiction, then I must be (and you possibly too) must be dense as a bunch of rum drinking st Bernard's, or they've got a master plan we aren't smart enough to understand.

Now that I've ranted on, I actually think I know how this atrocity occurred. It's all run by New Yorkers and Los Angelites, all in the name of cashing in on our younger, less scrutinizing youth. After all, they also accomplished a new world record attendance record at the AT&T Stadium. A few got richer and the rest of us got porrer. Our expectations are now lowered, paving the way for Garth and Snoop Doggs new release hit single, "I'm Just A Rappin Cowboy From The Slap-a-Ho Tribe"

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 10:43 am    

I actually enjoyed the program very much. All the way to the end.........oh wait, I watched the Cubs and the Indians. Gave up on the CMA's years ago. Great game btw for those that missed it. 👍
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 10:58 am    

Ronald Sikes wrote:
I actually enjoyed the program very much. All the way to the end.........oh wait, I watched the Cubs and the Indians. Gave up on the CMA's years ago. Great game btw for those that missed it. 👍

Me too. Didn't get to bed until 2 am because the game was so intense. What a finish to another great season.

I watched a few more clips of AMCA and CMA's. Saw Justin Timberlake performing with Chris Stapelton. Seems like the whole genre is infused with all sorts of styles of music these days.

Heck even Snoop Dogg and Willie Nelson have worked together.

I just think bottom line in the 21st century you aren't going to find that many purists that are going to play one traditional genre anymore. Even the best new country artist imo Sturgil Simpson came out saying he's heavily influenced by Pink Floyd and Nirvana and you can hear it in his music.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 11:53 am    

Quote:
The entire premise is slanted, many will read this thread thinking this is a diss on Beyonce, which it is not.

Quote:
Where the H-E-double hockey sticks does thinking like that come from?

Of course Tony and John get it. It was a diss on the show... I will continue to do this until I can't anymore.