The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone using Ardour DAW?
Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2015 11:02 am    

Hey Y'all,

I've been using the Zoom R16 to capture tracks, and will probably send them out for Pro Tools Wizardry, but, I thought I'd take a run at this my self also.

I've installed Ardour DAW (on Ubuntu Linux), and it hasn't been nearly as difficult as I thought it would be!

the questions:

1 - Is anyone here using Ardour?

2 - Any tips or suggestions for plugins?

3 - Any general knowledge or tidbits you wish someone had told you before you started using Ardour?

Thanks!

Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2015 5:43 pm    

I have been using Ardour off and on but I am by no means proficient at it yet. I was trying to run it on seriously under powered hardware and never got real tight with it. I've recently upgraded my hardware so now I am getting ready to start some small projects. I'll be following this thread for tips and hints too.

Walter Killam

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2015 1:45 pm     tumbleweeds????

Hi Doug,

Looks like there's no love for Ardour!

For those that haven't heard, Ardour is a DAW that is available as a free demo at http://ardour.org/ you can purchase it for 1 dollar (they would appreciate more) or you can subscribe on a monthly basis to get all the latest updates. (I'll be sending them some cash once I decide I'm in for sure)

Ardour works best on Linux (I'm running Ubuntu) and Mac Operating systems, they have a Windows version available, but I wouldn't use that if you are not a STRONG Windows user.

The way I've been using Ardour is to capture tracks on my Zoom R16, then take the SD card out of the Zoom, and import the tracks into Ardour (via the SD card reader on my PC), rather than trying to capture tracks directly to my PC. This seems to bypass any control surface drivers and a whole lot of other nonsense & latency that drove me crazy with Cubase & Pro Tools. This also has the effect of bypassing machine limits and allows me to run the program on an old bottom of the line gateway I bought at Walmart 5 years ago.

So far this has been a great way to introduce myself to digital multi-tracking without having to spend thousands on machinery, my total investment in recording equipment is ~$400 to date (this does not include mics & cables which I was already invested in)

I'm just using a plain jane ubuntu installation and used the Ubuntu Software Center to install Ardour, but you can go to https://ubuntustudio.org/ and get a complete AV recording studio package optimized for AV production.

I'll try to report my continuing adventures if anyone is interested.

Walter

Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2015 4:47 pm    

I've looked through the forum before for Ardour users and I think I've only seen it mentioned once before.

One sound man I work with will capture tracks on his Mackie DL32 and send them to me to import and clean up where I can. That works well.

Other than that I just use a Lexicon Alpha interface and Hydrogen to make my own backing tracks. It's quite handy for that. It seems Jack has greatly improved too. Everything got a little easier when I got my new laptop with Ubuntu with a 16 Gb of fast ram and big SSDs. The 32 bit Fedora linux was a harder to get the memory configured right.

I am hoping to get a USB 3.0 interface when they become more available.

I recently found the Libre group has a whole branch devoted to music production. Tons of good stuff here -> http://libremusicproduction.com/news

Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2016 1:04 pm     Calf Plugins

Loaded the Calf Plugin bundle into the Ardour DAW and found a couple that I really like. The 12 band Equalizer is extremely easy and IMO a very nice plugin.