The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tele players, 1 meg pot?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2016 10:37 am    

I have a Tele G&L Bluesboy with a Humbucker in the the neck and a Joe Barden modern PU in the bridge. Upon looking at the volume (500K) and tone (250K) I was thinking to brighten the sound a bit I would install a 1 meg in the volume control and 500K for the tone control. The Barden modern lead sounds much thicker than the standard Barden Tele PU.

Any thoughts?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2016 5:11 pm    

That may help a teensy bit, as might a tone bypass switch. But the easiest way would be to crank up the treble control on the amp a number or two. Winking

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 10:24 am    

Tomorrow I am going to install the 1 meg volume and 500K tone control. Going to use a .047 orange drop cap on the tone and a treble bleed cap on the volume. Nice thing about a Tele is if you have redo the setup it's not too big of a deal.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 11:20 am    

That should help, Len, but keep in mind that going to a different type of cap with the same value will not help the highs. While many guitars today use a .047 cap, if you want more available highs, you should go to a smaller value, something on the order of a .01, or even a .005 cap. Winking

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2016 2:50 pm    

Donny, thanks for the insight. I will use alligator clips with various caps to se how the sound before soldering them in.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 8:40 am    

You might try Fender's no load tone pot. It effectively disconnects the tone control from the circuit in the fully clockwise position and even has a detent at that point. It does brighten the tone slightly compared to a standard tone pot when it's fully clockwise. You can also alter a standard tone pot to do the same thing, without the detent of course. You have to remove the element and scrape off the last little bit of the resistance trace from the CW position so that the wiper does not have contact with the trace.

http://www.proaudioland.com/fender-250k-no-load-split-shaft-potentiometer.html?fee=1&fep=16781&utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium=Shopping+Feed&utm_campaign=Product&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CLqMiOLBj9ACFQ54fgodMBMLKQ

I also like to experiment with different values of tone caps to see what a particular guitar really likes. You'd be amazed at the difference. Just hook up a couple of alligator clip leads to the circuit and try different caps, or combinations of caps. When two or more caps are in parallel, the capacitance value increases. Different values of tone pots also make a difference in the sound and taper of the control. You can really dial in YOUR sound that way, then solder your final selections into the circuit.

The type of capacitor you use isn't going to make much difference in the sound at this frequency and bandwidth so buy whatever you like.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 10:08 am    

Just pull off one end of the resistor for a moment if you want to hear the effect of a very high (infinite) resistance. I bet that you won't hear a differnece between 500K and infinity.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 12:09 pm    

I put 2 CTS 500K pots with a Sprague .022 cap and an orange drop treble bleed from StuMac and a Switchcraft replacement jack all retired with cloth wiring. What a difference in vibe. Well worth the small amount of money and a bit of time for this upgrade. Very happy👍

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2016 12:42 pm    

I think you made some good, solid choices there Len.
Glad you are pleased with the results. Every guitar is different, and it's fun to help it unveil it's own distinct personality, especially when it coincides with your inner vision of how you want it to sound and perform.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2016 8:27 pm    

Good on ya, Len! I recently made a control wiring upgrade on my Squier ssh Tele, as well. I went with this:

My Tele has never sounded better!

The 250k tone pot was likely your culprit for the dark/muddy tone? I got my kit from "Sidewinders Guitars", off of Reverb...great vendor and very accommodating!