The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My new (older) Anapeg - more pics added (Noel's latest)
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 10:01 am    

I think Mark Giles also uses stained lacquer. I meant no disrespect for those colored guitars,,,I have always thought every facet of Noels work was sheer perfection,,,an Anapeg is the only guitar I'd give up my Klines for.

The other part of my question,,,what was the price range of the Anapegs when they were being built?

Steve Epstein

Folsom, CA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 12:35 pm    

My 12 was $8,500 about eight years ago.

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 1:41 am    

Noel had an Anapeg at a steel show many years ago set up for people to play and he wanted to sell it that day. I spent about 10 minutes on it and I had never played anything so smooth. I really wanted a double neck and asked Noel if he would consider making me one. he said he would think about it. he called me about two weeks later and the answer was unfortunately No. He wasn't tooled up to do so and I understood totally.

I regret that I didn't buy that steel but there was no way of knowing just how revered they would become. just another one that got away. oh well.........

But you, Jeff are one lucky hombre.

Steve Epstein

Folsom, CA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 3:03 pm    

Chris, you are correct. Anapegs are the smoothest playing guitar I have ever experienced. My introduction to them was about 10 years ago. I drove 400 miles to Jim Palenscar's shop in Southern California specifically to play his. It was the closest one I could find and Jim was very generous in sharing his. The 10 string is a bit stiffer than the 12. But the 12 was the last production guitar Noel ever built and I can only imagine he improved the mechanics as he grew.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 7:31 am     Anstead/Anapeg

I also ordered an Anapeg in 2003/4 and received mine in 2010. I'll post pictures of it later. While I was waiting I came across this guitar which was the first pedal steel that Noel ever built for a guy named Ned Dodd. Somehow it later ended up in the United States. It was painted white when I got it. After Noel was in production on my guitar (which took two years-the first year he cut the timbers and laid them out to dry for a year. The second year he had the parts tooled and polished and installed them). After I got it I decided to take the Anstead apart, stripped off the white paint and stain it red to match the details on the fretboard. Noel redid the pickup to be a blade like on my Anapeg. He later told me that this guitar was the prototype for all his guitars to come although he later changed to keyless and improved the changer. He said he built a lot of the keyed guitars (can't remember exactly how many, but I'm thinking a hundred or more). He had to change the name because the cabinet company he was working for had a non compete clause and he didn't want them to get wise to what he was doing. I think after Noel helped me with the setup, this guitar plays as smoothly as my Anapeg which is a short universal 10. Note the NA 001 on the underside.

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 1:00 pm    

Wow, that is a very special Anapeg (Anstead) Tom! Noel lost most of his building records when he transferred them to computer and we all know what happens with technology😡. He will be excited about these stories and photos. I will show him next weekend. My apologies Sonny/Chris, (coloured lacquer)I am a custom cabinetmaker (former) and when I said "stained wood" I meant the finished product is 'coloured'. As a furniture maker we would never go into details as weather it was coloured stain of clear over colour timber. Most times the customer would 'glaze over' when discussing such things. Thank you all for the storys as they all paint an historical picture here on the forum, even though I am in regular contact with Noel. Now for something special...the pics here are from a couple of months ago. Noel's latest masterpiece. This is his own and an idea that has been percolating in his creative head for many years. It is also Noel playing. He was able to make it from existing end blocks/plates and pedals he had. I'll let the pics tell the story. There are detailed engineering principles as to the mechanics of this guitar but I'll not do it justice explaining. I'll have Noel explain it again to me next week. No, it's not a lefty and Noel is not taking orders, he has retired.
I am very honoured to be the custodian of this guitar (my green one) as it will outlive me!!

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 3:39 pm    

That's a beautiful guitar. When I last saw. Noel in St. Louis he had a new changer and wanted to put it n the key head end to get it away from the pickup and reduce the possibility of any mechanical noise affecting the pickup. I told him that he should build that. Shirley gave me a look, but it looks like he did that. Get a sound clip or video and post it. Utube if you can. I took lots ov videos that weekend of him talking about the steel but lost them when I had a phone die. I was going to edit them into a movie. Take video when you see him and talk about stuff. Send it to me and I'll edit it for you.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 3:42 pm    

Also I see you also have a Zum steel. Wonderful guitar and since he lives about 30 miles from here all of the local players have them. I played one at a jam last Thursday. Very nice but not as good as my Anapeg.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 6:30 am     Ssoundclip

This is a Dropbox link to a video of when I showed my Anstead to Noel in St Louis
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18313997/NoelAnstead5.MOV

Ignore the part where I'm babbling about how I'm not sure which guitar I like better. Very Happy

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 1:36 pm    

Thanks for that Tom. Really enjoyed that. I do have video of Noel playing his latest masterpiece. I am just a little hestitant as he does not like the spotlight and I'd like to ask him before I post it. Yes my Zum is wonderful. It was the first Zum into Australia and Bruce has confirmed that by the serial number. I am the second owner and it's Mint! I also agree that given the playing life of my Anapeg, it still is smooth as silk on the pedals...dare I say it but a little smoother than the Zum. Shocked My Anapeg and Perina are uni's (short)

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 7:35 pm    

Beautiful Steels for sure.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 12:53 pm     My Anapeg

Facebook just gave me this photo as a memory from May 2 2009. Without looking at my records that must have been about the time I received my Anapeg from Noel. Looks good in the photo- actually it still does!

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 2:10 am    

Another stunning steel Tom! Love the contrasting timber!