The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thinking about picking up a resonator, need advice
Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 5:28 pm    

I've been wanting to pick up a squareneck resonator for a while now, and I think it's time to start looking around, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

I've been playing a lap steel in standard open G Dobro tuning for a while. I'm not super awesome at it, but I'm at least familiar with the neck, chords, and some basic scales.

I'm not looking to spend a ton on this one; I really just need an instrument to start getting me into the dobro world. At the same time, I'd like to get something that I can take to a bluegrass circle or a festival and not feel like I'm playing a toy. My current thought on budget is around $500, but I don't mind spending a bit more if there's really nothing worthwhile in that price range.

I probably wouldn't have much use for one in my current gigging band, but the ability to put a pickup in and have it be gig-able would be great.

I play a lot of bluegrass, country, americana, indie-folk-rock type of stuff.

Thanks in advance

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 7:59 pm    

This looks like the hip ticket...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GrchResoSQAE

I'd be interested in others' thoughts... this comes in right at $500.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 3:13 am    

The good news about the Gretsch that Stephen linked is that it comes with the expensive Fishman Nashville pickup installed if you ever want to plug in. The bad news is though it's a decent entry level guitar, if you got the same model without the pickup it's a $360 guitar made with some mediocre components.

For around $500-$600 you could find a used, and possibly in excellent condition, Gold Tone/Beard PBS (Paul Beard Signature) which is a laminate mahogany guitar and particularly in buying used, a fine instrument for the money and several notches in quality above the Gretsch. It will hold its own at a bluegrass jam.

Another one to look for but not as plentiful as they are no longer produced but can be had used in the same price range as the Gold Tone is the Wechter/Scheerhorn.

Both guitars were designed by the highly respected dobro luthiers Paul Beard, and Tim Scheerhorn, and built in China.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 11:47 am    

Hi Matt.

I sent you a PM.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 5:55 am    

I played one of those bobtails awhile back. I can't imagine anything else for that price coming close plugged in ( using the Jd fishman aura pedal with it for more $$$), but no way I'd want to be armed with one of those bobtails at an acoustic jam of any sort. Volume and tone acoustically leave a lot to be desired IMO. Your mention of "toy" comes to mind.

That's a tough price range. Perhaps you could swing a used wechter scheerhorn? That's what I'd do. Plus if you bought it right you could get your money back out when it was time to move on whatever the reason.

I had a gold tone beard with Paul's set up as my first square neck and I was never happy with the tone.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2016 6:22 am    

The Gretsch is probably your best bet at that price range. You might be able to find a Gold Tone Beard or Wechter Scheerhorn used for $500, but you'll spend a lot of time looking. The Regal RD52 Black Lightning would also be close to that.

And I see this Gold Tone Beard in the For Sale section. I'd jump on that if I were you.

Matt Bush

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2016 8:28 pm    

Pretty sure I'm going to go for a Gold Tone at this point. It probably wont be until spring or so, but that's the direction I'll likely go.