The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question....Different Cabinets with the Walker Stereo...?
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 4:48 pm    

I perceive the walker stereo steel as a great sounding amp. It sounds alot "fuller" or with more "warmth" BUT I am wanting to try it through semi OPEN cabs because I lIke the open sound.

Does anyone prefer the walker with open cabs? I ask because I absolutely know of no one that plays with open cabs. Thanks!

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 6:21 am    

I did. I liked the open back speaker cabinets better. I thought the original Walker cabinets being close back and front ported tended to make it sound a little muffled to me that's my opinion I really liked the performance of the JBL D1 40 speakers that came with the Walker set up. I like the Telonics 15's equally as well. I don't
Own any closed back cabs. As usual you'd have to try it for yourself as see how you like as that's all that really matters

Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 7:43 am    

Everyone's different. I know of great players that will swear by walker cabs. And indeed I prefer the sound with C6and the wound strings.

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 8:02 am    

Well there you go, kinda answered your own question

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 8:45 am    

Closed back cabs project more directly as in beam like and can be a little edgy.
Open Back spread sound around the stage more.

I have owned Walker closed back and changed to Telonics open backs. I didn't see much difference tonally. Mostly in how they hit the audience.
I really like using 2 cabs because I can spread them out or stack them up and this does seem to affect the tone and what I hear.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 9:42 am    

I've played the Walker SS combo with both open and closed back speaker cabs using Black Widow 1501's. It sounded fine either way. I don't have it anymore, but the last time I played it was at home with the speakers sitting in front of me. Just before I sold it, I A/B 'ed them with Walker's closed back ported cabs and some of my own open back. Since the cabinets were of different sizes and designs, it's hard to draw a definitive conclusion.

I found overall that I liked the GD's closed cabinets best from that perspective.

I've spent quite a lot of time on this subject over the years including designing and building both types of cabinets. Sometimes I think I like open better, sometimes closed. I guess I'm just as fickle as everybody else.

I believe you have more of a wrap around sound with open back cabs with maybe more overall sound coverage.

Closed back are more focused, louder, work better with stereo, panning and rotary modulated sound effects particularly on axis or with both mic'ed up and panned at the board.

Not mic'ed stage configuration, maybe open back lets everyone else hear you better.

Solo, practice, studio mic'ed, I vote for closed. Gerry's compact cabs are real tote friendly too.

Fred Justice

Mesa, Arizona
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 9:55 am    

Keenan it all boils down to personal preference mostly.
I play my Walker system thru open back cabs, the ones I built and sold for many years.
To me, closed back cabs are bassier with more lows.
I like the open back for its crispness and farther projection. Both are good.

John Hauck

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 1:08 pm    

You might try contacting John McClung, (forum member). He runs a Walker system with one open back and one closed back cab. He is extremely happy with the tone.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 6:54 pm    

I like the cabinets Fred built with the removable backs.

John McClung just had a massive stroke if you didn't know.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 9:38 am    

I've been playing through the Stereo Steel Combo for close to 17 yrs. I have both closed back and open back cabinets that G.D. Walker built for me. I prefer the open backs in most situations although either type sound very good.

The Stereo Steel is my favorite amp of all that I have. On a few gigs I may bring just one cabinet and the amp sounds great used as such as well. I do miss that other cabinet, but that amp with just one speaker still sounds great.

Chris "Tiny" O.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 12:38 pm    

I use closed back because I have them, but I use BW 1501 DT speakers to throw or beam the sound a little more.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 12:51 pm    

My Walker system has the closed backs with Walker's re-coned JBL's. All sitting in my music room for a while now and yet to power any of it on. Seems like the closed backs will be great in the studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 3:09 pm    

Preamble: my stroke was SERIOUS but not MASSIVE. The effects were pretty mild, all in all.

Down to business: When I bought my SS system from GD, he customized my cabinets to be close back, but with a removable rear panel, so either cab could be open or closed. Great feature, ask Gerry about doing that for you.

After playing the Phoenix show a few years ago using borrowed Telonics cabs, closed back with a 15-inch BW, open back with beefy refurbed 15-inch JBL, and getting the best tone I've ever had, I ordered the same cabs in that configuration, and couldn't be happier.

Don't play out much these days, but I find that's my magic tone when I do.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2017 3:55 pm     Speaker cabs?

I just bought a walker and have tried several cabinets with it, I have settled on two ltd 400 cabinets both with jbl d130 speakers that have been redone by the same person(I cannot remember his name) that doe,s the speakers for mr. Walker they sound great....thanks jack