The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Standard Production or Prototype Emmons Legrande III?
Tom Palmer

East Wenatchee, WA USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2016 8:16 pm    

I recently acquired an Emmons Legrande SD-10 with a Bolt-On Changer. It has provision for splits as well. The screws that normally are located on the top of the back of the changer come up from the bottom side. This thing really sings. I have a D-10 Push Pull and a D-10 Legrande. This guitar has everything in terms of tone my Push Pull has and maybe a little extra. I am curious if this is a standard production changer or a prototype. Let me know your thoughts.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 3:56 pm    

No not standard. Custom order? Maybe. Depending on the serial #. I vote aftermarket.

b.

Tom Palmer

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 4:12 pm    

I do know it was delivered to the original owner from Emmons in this configuration.

Model LST-10LIII
Serial Number 2416RTL

Thank you for your comment.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 5:29 pm     Bolt-on LeGrande III

Hi Tom,

I'm glad you're enjoying this very special Emmons guitar. It really does sing and it has a tone that's radically different from any standard LeGrande I've ever come across. As you know already, it was built this way originally from the factory. It has a push-pull tail piece that's "married" to a LeGrande aluminum neck insert, rather than what might normally be a wood insert.

As I understand it, the guitar arrived to the original owner without him having any idea that it was any different from a LeGrande (with the standard cut-tail changer). I informed him of the different changer arrangement, after seeing the photos of this guitar that he sent to me.

Back in late 2010 I went back to the Emmons Factory for some training, in order to become an Authorized Dealer. During that time, I remember Ron Lashley Jr. mentioning to me that he'd been experimenting with installing a bolt-on changer on a LeGrande (or something to that effect).

This guitar was delivered to the customer in April, 2010, so it may be one of the very few that Ron Jr. told me recently that he'd built during that year. I also had occasion to ask him about this particular guitar and he confirmed all of this background to me, along with some of his thoughts about mounting those pillar blocks in that manner. By the way, those are his initials after the serial number, in case you were wondering.

I hope this information is helpful to you and other interested people.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Tom Palmer

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 8:15 pm    

Thank you for posting your reply, Lynn. I was interested to see if anyone else had seen one. So far I have had two players that were willing to put a second mortgage on their homes to buy it from me but I am holding out until I need a kidney or liver transplant. We will see if anyone will step up when the time comes. In the meantime I will be playing the heck out of this guitar. The tone and sustain are incredible. I would say the drool factor is over the top of the scale.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 8:25 pm    

Quote:
I am curious if this is a standard production changer or a prototype. Let me know your thoughts.

Lynn wrote.
Quote:
As you know already, it was built this way originally from the factory. It has a push-pull tail piece that's "married" to a LeGrande aluminum neck insert, rather than what might normally be a wood insert.

I'm confused. If the OP already knew the facts, why ask. Confused

Quote:
As I understand it, the guitar arrived to the original owner without him having any idea that it was any different from a LeGrande (with the standard cut-tail changer).

That was just wrong. Even if it's twice the guitar of a standard LIII.

And I have to wonder if it, ( the push-pull tail piece that's "married" to a LeGrande aluminum neck insert,) worked out so great. Why not make it the new standard or at the very least an option? Confused

At any rate. Thanks for sharing the info about this very unique instrument with us.

b.

Tom Palmer

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 9:02 pm    

I posted it because I wasn't sure how many may have wound up out there and I had a machinist friend who challenged that it had to be production because of some of the details in the way it was made. Obviously, I am pleased if it is the only one that exists but I don't really know that for a fact and may never know that for sure. I am sure it is rare.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2016 9:13 pm    

Again thanks for sharing. Wish I lived about 3000 miles closer to you. Would love to check that one out. Maybe you can put some sound clips sometime.

b.

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 5:45 pm    

......not the only one ... Similar wraprounds and mica'ed wood necks w/bolt on tailpieces....all sound and play like an Emmons.

Mike Cass. 615-446-5952.
Everything Emmons, since 1987.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 8:06 pm    

V-e-r-r-r-y Interesting Exclamation

Tom Palmer

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 8:27 pm    

Mike - I am aware of the Push Pulls that way but I am not aware of any Legrande All Pull guitars built with this type of changer, are you?

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2016 10:10 pm    

Wow, cool guitar. I have another oddball LG111. It has the short keyheads and detuning mechanism on both necks. I have the original delivery docket that came with the guitar. It really sings and is a great sounding axe.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 5:14 am    

Now that's a real looker. I know of several special order short keyed LII's and LIII's. But Tom's guitar was a new one for me. However after Ron Sr. passed and the Co. was sold. I quit keeping up. I have ordered parts a few times with no issues.

b.

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 24 Oct 2016 2:22 pm    

please reread my original reply to the topic at hand....all pull, not push pull. Yes, the first one pictured(obviously now)is not the only one with similar modification.

MC