The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  help with tunning
CB Blackwell

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 5:59 am    

I use the Peterson strobe flip and the sweet E9TH. On my old 75 D-10 pull release Marlen, the guitar sounds in perfect tune with it self. has almost no cabinet drop. But on my Mullen D-10, it sounds a little off somewhere. has someone had this same problem and what can be done to eliminate this? Thanks for any info

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 6:40 am    

Just of the top of my head. Check and see how much more or less cabinet drop the Mullen has. Then adjust your tuning to compensate for it. It's not unusual for guitars to vary. Hope this makes sense.

b.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 10:17 am    

It's not just cabinet drop. Some guitars seem to "resonate" (probably a slight misuse of the word) differently, so that slightly off sounds better.
For the Mullen, set the tuner to ET, tune the Es (pedals up or down is up to you, it's a judgment call), then tune it by ear. With the tuner still in ET mode, compare the notes to the tuner, write down the deviation in cents. Now enter these deviations as a custom program for the Mullen.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 12:13 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
...set the tuner to ET, tune the Es (pedals up or down is up to you, it's a judgment call), then tune it by ear. With the tuner still in ET mode, compare the notes to the tuner, write down the deviation in cents. Now enter these deviations as a custom program for the Mullen.

This is the method that I think should be used for ANY steel guitar. It takes all discussion of "cabinet drop" out of the picture.