The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Are the old Porter Wagoner shows on dvd ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 8:21 pm    

I love watching his old tv shows and was wondering if there is some way I could purchase them on dvd. I dont get Direct Tv and I guess they are on there, and in actuality, I dont get TV at all, cable or antenna, but I enjoy watching dvds. Thanks for any information.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 9:02 pm    

Don't know about that, you can see some on utube tho.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 7:50 am    

Here's one suggestion..
https://www.bear-family.com/wagoner-porter-vol.24-porter-wagoner-show.html

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2016 8:05 pm    

For some reason, probably nostalgia, but I am really hung up on watching these old shows, so thanks guys for all of the suggestions. Back in the 60s my dad and I would watch 10 hours of country tv shows on Saturdays...Ernest Tubb, Wilburn Brothers, Billy Walker, and on and on...drove my mom crazy I think, but I enjoy that time of my life...I was in high school playing lead guitar in a rock and roll band and never told my bandmates that I liked county...they would have kicked me out !! haha Anyway, Porter may not have been the best singer, but I enjoyed his music, his enthusiasm and the quality musicians he surrounded himself with. He always seemed to be having a good time. I just this week got his biography in the mail and am looking forward to reading about his career. Sorry for the rambles. I miss those days !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 8:40 pm    

Larry, thanks for bringing up the PW show. I just watched 2 episodes, they go quick, 23min w/out commercials. What great country entertainment. A really hot version of "Shady Grove" by Porter and the boys, Faron Young, Stonwall Jackson, Dolly. Great stuff!! I think I was able to watch these in the early/mid 70's while living in rural southern Illinois.
Forgot to ad the show ran from 1960-1981, 686 shows.