The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  IDAHO (song) changes?
Jim Rossen

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 4:10 pm    

What are the chord changes for IDAHO as played on the nifty Spade Cooley/Murphey YouTube recording below? It is the first song.

Thanks
Jim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nVX_ysum0

Guy Cundell

More idle ramblings from South Australia
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 10:32 pm    

Something like this, I think Jim. It's a great middle 8!

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 5:47 pm    

Just tidying my desktop, found the sound file and finished the job. Fairly early Murphey. Obviously told to play the melody on the A sections and then let off the leash for the difficult middle 8, and doesn't he make it look easy!

Marc Bell

Surat Thani, TH
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:32 pm    

On the subject of making it look easy. Once again, thank you for the great tabs Guy. You make wonderfully neat tabs and make the transcribing and writing of tabs look easy although I am sure much thought goes into finding the best or most suitable positions. Anyway, much appreciated.

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 3:59 am    

Cheers, Marc. The clarity of thinking and the amazing accuracy of Murphey's solos makes them easier to discern than one might initially think. (Of course, Transcribe makes the going easier.)

That he should continue to produce so many inspirational solos on demand is just awesome. He never ceases to amaze.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 12:11 pm    

I may be mistaken but I hear a Cm7 on bar 4 of the A section.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Marc Bell

Surat Thani, TH
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 4:35 pm    

So after a good many hours practicing this solo, I'm stumped. The first part is easy enough but the fast ending phrase of the solo? What is the suggested fingering? I have slowed it down to half speed and the picking sounds very clear and not like a rake which is the only way I can even come close to approximating this? Any thoughts on the fingers used here Guy? Anybody?

Bo Parker

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 10:06 am    

Guy Cundell wrote:
Just tidying my desktop, found the sound file and finished the job. Fairly early Murphey. Obviously told to play the melody on the A sections and then let off the leash for the difficult middle 8, and doesn't he make it look easy!

Any chance of getting a pdf or higher resolution jpg of this? Very Happy

Guy Cundell

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 6:07 pm    

Marc, it may take a bit longer than a few hours! Murphey’s right hand is a marvel. One tends to get caught up with the magic of the bar movement but man, is there any magic in that right hand!

Here is a 1945 soundie recently uploaded by Chris Clem (Many thanks to him!) You get about five seconds, thirty seconds in, and it is miming. Nevertheless, it gives some idea. Looks to me that he uses alternate picking but with the thumb prominent sometimes. On top of that, there seems to be a lightning three finger roll used for the triplet. And then there is the blocking that allows the line to come out clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-yc8QgDjEQ

For myself, adding in the third finger is beyond me but to compensate I work on many variations of alternate picking.

Bo (or anyone else), just shoot me an email and I’ll send you a PDF with better resolution.

Anthony Lis

South Dakota, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 7:09 pm     Thanks

Guy, thanks for posting the partial "Idaho" transcription; been listening to Alvino Rey's unusual little cover, in relation to a forthcoming Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association Quarterly installment (probably quite a few months down the line).