The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter Steelaire w/ext speaker observations.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 12:26 pm    

Yesterday in my backyard just for fun and curiosity, I set up my Quilter and a Peavey Nashville 1000 speaker cabinet (no preamp) for some comparisons and thought some of you might like to hear what I found.

First was just the Quilter which was clean and clear but was somewhat thin sounding with good highs and mids. I had to almost max out the bass to fatten up the low end.

I then plugged in the Nashville 1000 cabinet into the ext jack and the bottom end came up considerably with no EQ adjustment.

Then I unplugged the Quilter speaker and played through the Nashville 1000 cabinet alone and noticed the low end to still be present although highs dropped but mid range "Honk" was very noticeable.

For another test I placed deadening material inside the Quilter and a piece of wood against the back with about a 4" gap to partially enclose the cabinet and heard no difference. While I played, I had my wife first remove the wooden back and then the deadening material and again I heard no difference as each of these things were removed. This really surprised me as I thought there would be some decrease in bottom end.

In the end the best sound I got was with both the Quilter and Peavey together. Nice lows with good highs and none of the typical mid range honk we all tend to hate.

What really sticks out in my mind is how different the two speaker cabinets sounded alone with the same EQ settings. The Quilter was somewhat thin but clean and the Peavey was kind of muddy but with more pronounced bass and mid response.

I was bored and had nothing else to do so I hope this is enlightening to some degree.

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 1:36 pm    

Dick I have tried various combinatios as well. I have the rack mount model so speaker and cab testing is easy. So far my favorite speakers are a dead heat....the ESP 15C and a SICA neo 15" and btw I use my own home brew cabs that I build.

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2016 2:35 pm    

I have the same model as Chuck and using a JBL E130-4 in an Evans cabinet and the entire tone range sounds great.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 3:50 am    

I too own the Steelaire rack unit that I run through two identical cabs as described by Chuck; a Rick Johnson cab loaded with an EPS-15C and a vintage ('60's)unit containing the Sica neo 15. I find that I actually prefer the Sica but that may be due to the cab being larger and slightly deeper (and the wood being well aged).

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 5:22 am    

I have the Quilter Steelaire and have a basic question:
Can I run a 12" extension speaker cabinet off of it if the extension speaker ohms are the same (8 ohms) I guess put another way...a 15" speaker and a 12" speaker with the same ohms rating.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 5:47 am    

You can run it, even with different Ohms, as long as the speaker can handle the power.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 6:32 pm    

Dick do you have the quilter combo or head. I am purchasing the steelaire pro head after hearing so many great things about it. I will be searching for a speaker or speakers. I am going to be looking for low end. I've always been used to the open back sound but would like to try a cab that has a detachable back so I can go either way. Ultamitely I would.like to have an eps 15 and a double T 12 with open/closed back cabs for different scenario s

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2017 7:09 pm    

I've wondered if there are any recent experiences with the Quilter Tone Block 201 w/ extension speakers? Seems that if you're using extension cab w/ a 15" it would be pretty convenient (especially if you already have reverb/delay pedals.)

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 7:19 am    

Quentin, I have the Combo.Last year at the Texas Jamboree I tried the quilter with the ext speaker and it did add lows and more presence due to moving more air.

As I've said in past comments,Quilter does not have the big low end that Peavey does however,I find it just right because to me,too much lows will get you buried in the mix and muddy your tone.

I liked the Quilter ext.cabinet but feel the amp gets a sound that works well with steel without lugging around more pieces of equipment.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 9:02 am    

Some steel players have comment that they think the Steelaire (combo) cabinet is not deep enough. Perhaps a Steelaire cabinet that is 1" deeper would help with the lows.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 9:14 am    

Tom,I'm not an engineer but my gut feeling is 1" probably wouldn't make any real difference. I tend to lean towards it being the speaker.

I've watched speaker brand comparisons on Youtube and the difference is very apparent from one brand to another.Mids Bass treble are all affected from one brand to another.

Re-read my comments in my initial post about what I noticed when using just the Nashville 1000 cabinet.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 9:52 am    

Dick, would you mind posting the amp settings you were using?

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 9:58 am    

I have my eye on a peavey cab 112sx I am going to try out with it and AB it with my Nashville 112. I believe a blue marvel comes stock in those

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 10:04 am    

Donny,

Bass 8
Low Mid 1
Hi mid 5
Treb 7

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 10:47 am    

Quentin

I have/had two Peavey 112SX cabinets. The stock speaker is a Peavey Sheffield 1230, 80 watts, 8 ohm.

I have switched the Sheffield in my current 112SX and replaced it with a Peavey Scorpion SP12825...nice bottom end. These are versatile cabinets...you can use them open or closed back.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 3:07 pm    

Tom Campbell wrote:
Quentin

I have/had two Peavey 112SX cabinets. The stock speaker is a Peavey Sheffield 1230, 80 watts, 8 ohm.

I have switched the Sheffield in my current 112SX and replaced it with a Peavey Scorpion SP12825...nice bottom end. These are versatile cabinets...you can use them open or closed back.

OK thanks for the info Tom. I have an older transtube bandit and I think the speaker is a Sheffield and I have to say wow! I plugged in my steel with all of the eq knobs at 12 o'clock and it actually sounded alot better than I expected it to. It's a pretty big speaker compartment I think the 112sx is the same size. I think that size of the cab even if it is open back will change the overall response and eq shaping. Did your cabs come with backs on them?

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2017 4:39 pm    

Yes, the Peavey 112SX comes with the back; held in place by 8 screws. I usually only hold the back in place with 4 screws.

I also have a Bandit Transtube and the 112SX was intended to be the ext. cabinet for this amp.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2017 6:51 pm    

The data sheet for the EPS 15C is here:

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/EPS_15C.pdf

It rolls off about -12dB per octave at 100Hz. IMO,
that's about right.

Just IMO, but the bass on that thing would about run you out of the room. I do not recall ever putting it past a notch or two over 12:00. Now, I always leaned it back against the wall or kept it close to a wall in a chair.

I have to wonder if maybe you have the other three knobs up too much- the EQ on this amp is more like an equalizer than a tone stack on a guitar amp. Don't laugh too hard ( seems silly to move three knobs instead of one, right? ) but up and down are not mirror images of each other in EQ.

You can't cue on distortion for level with this thing. With a Fender, you get a bit of grit when the mid knob is up too much.

How awesome would it be to find out Dick doesn't get enough bass out of one, and I get too much? I'd have to giggle at that myself Smile

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2017 3:33 pm    

Hi Dick. I played mine today through a Nashville 112 stock speaker. It really sounded like I was playing a different guitar. I say ghat in a good way. Now I just need to find the right 12" speaker that will match up good to but I will say it knocked the socks off me with that standard blue marvel. It really has something special going on guys.