The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I lost my sound on you tube
Bill Erb

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 5:50 pm    

I have windows 10. I have flash player. I listened to some you tube music last week and it was fine. Now tonight I do not have you tube sound. Would anyone know what I should do to get the sound back? I really appreciate any suggestions anyone has. I don't know much about doing this sort of thing. I usually mess it up when something says it's easy just push the button.

Again thanks for any suggestions you may have.
Bill Erb

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 4:44 am    

First advice would be to dump Flash Player - you don't need it for YouTube.

Then, I would start by first checking the YouTube volume slider at the bottom of the screen to make sure it's up and audio is not muted there - two separate settings.

If that doesn't fix it, and since things worked last week, and assuming nothing's been unplugged or otherwise changed since then, I'd look at sound settings on your PC. Left click on the bottom far left icon on the taskbar, the start menu icon. That should bring up your start menu, with some more icons in a column on the left side. Click the Settings icon - it looks like a gear.

The next screen, "Windows Settings" will have a search box at the top. Enter "sound", no quotes, and from the drop-down that opens, click on "Sound". This will open a box showing at least the active sound devices on your system, or maybe inactive ones too, depending on how it's set.

There is a virtual smorgasbord of things you can do inside this magical little box, including testing a device to see if it makes any sound, and selecting your default sound device, which is critical in this case. If you "Test" your default device and it produces no sound, you'll then have to figure out why - it could be any number of things, like cables unplugged, power not switched on (for external powered speakers), volume turned down, unsupported sample rate selected (Properties/Supported Formats), etc - various things, depending on what you're using to produce audio. Just make sure that's the device in the list selected as "Default".

There are many other useful settings available in the Sound window. For example, opening "Properties" for any device shown, and still another box will open, offering you options for more settings applicable to that device. The "Levels" tab inside Properties includes a volume slider, which, if moved all the way left, will reduce volume for that device to zero. Hello? Whoa!

Have fun.

Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 10:46 am    

It could be something very simple. This has happened to me before. Look at the yellow circles I've drawn on these screen shots. Pic #1, be sure your volume on the Youtube player is not muted. Pic #2, be sure the volume is at a high enough level.

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 10:50 am    

All good ideas for things to check -- but it's a computer and it's running Windows. If you haven't already, reboot the machine, and mess with other things after that if it doesn't work!

Bill Erb

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2016 8:24 pm    

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Dave I followed your instructions. I went through settings to sound. There is a place that will test the sound. I hit repair and it found that something was turned off. It then said fixed. I tried another YouTube and I had sound again. Thanks again for your help.
Bill Erb Smile Please close.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 6:00 am    

Bill Erb wrote:
Dave I followed your instructions...There is a place that will test the sound. I hit repair and it found that something was turned off. It then said fixed... Thanks again for your help.

Glad I could help. Always like a story with a happy ending. Wink

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2016 6:01 am     Re: I lost my sound on you tube

Bill Erb wrote:
I have windows 10. I have flash player. I listened to some you tube music last week and it was fine. Now tonight I do not have you tube sound.

Must be Windows 10 trying to rearrange your computer settings.

http://superuser.com/questions/1022063/windows-10-default-programs-keep-changing