The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live Steel Strings
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 8:18 am    

I have been a faithful pro-steel string user for a while and the last few sets I have bought have lost their life after a couple months and I seem to always have to tune.... I have been thinking about using SId Hudson's Live Steel strings... Can I get some feedback on these particular strings from players who actually use them? Thank you... Slim

Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 12:34 pm    

Mike, they're great, clear bell tone and they last forever. You should try a set, order two cause you'll love em and save postage on the next set months later(maybe longer)...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 12:37 pm    

I agree, I particularly like the sound I get on the high G#.
I used to try and avoid that string because of the thin sound but not anymore with the Live Steel Strings. Very Happy

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 3:58 pm    

Best strings out there. I've been using them since they first came out. I only broke 1 string, and that was my fault while installing. I use the Stainless set. You'll love them.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 4:35 pm    

I've been using them for a few years now and I like them a lot.
The stainless ones seem to last forever and I like their resilience.
I shouldn't say this because it shows how lazy I am, but, I played close to sixty gigs last year with the same set. They were still springy when I took them off.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 11:33 pm    

I tried a couple of Live String sets and returned to George L stainless steel strings I've used for decades. Live String gauges were somehow different, even though I chose the exact same gauges as my George L's, and I suddenly had extremely bad bar rattle at fret 1. They also lost their volume and punch quite quickly.

YMMV of course.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 5:30 am    

I switched to Live Steels after Jagwires became hard to get. I'm not exactly pleased with Live Steel Strings. I never broke a 3rd using Jagwires.In the last 6 weeks, I am getting no more than two weeks out of a Live Steel .011

There are no burs and I'm playing a Williams which has a very slight radius on the finger so everything points back to the string.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 8:37 am    

The Live Steel strings were ok on my JCH, but the Jagwires sound so much better. On a different guitar it might be the other way around, just try a few different ones and stick to what you think sounds best for you.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 8:57 am    

I finally tried them. Broke the 3rd string after only 3 gigs. I'm going back to SIT Sho E9th. 1/2 the cost and sound fine to me.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 9:02 am    

Ronald,
Maybe it's the operator. Rolling Eyes

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 9:37 am    

I switch between Live Steel and Jagwires, just for variety. But I must say the Live Steel are the better of the two. Both are great strings.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 11:48 am    

Could be Erv. Lol Seriously though , not to bash Live Steel Strings , but I didn't find anything real special with them. Especially for the price difference.

Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 12:59 pm    

Ronald Sikes wrote:
I finally tried them. Broke the 3rd string after only 3 gigs. I'm going back to SIT Sho E9th. 1/2 the cost and sound fine to me.

I haven't broken a string in over a decade. Tells me what I need to know

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 1:10 pm    

I used Jagwire strings for a few years and switched to Live Steel strings when I could no longer get Jagwires. I have no reason to want to change to another brand. They sound better, last longer, and are more stable than any other strings I have used. Thanks, Sid, for making these great strings available.

Jason Lynch

Essex, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 1:21 pm    

I switched to them a year ago. fantastic strings IMHO, and a great bunch to do business with. really helpfull .

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 2:08 pm    

Sid , The only thing I can tell you is my third string broke on my third gig with it , about 3" from the changer. It seems that Dick Wood had the same problem. Not sure where his broke. Maybe a bad run , I don't know. I've had other brands do the same.
Mike wanted feedback and this is my opinion. I'm glad there are many people who like LiveSteel Stings and I'm sure you'll have much success. They sound great , I just can't justify the price difference.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 5:33 pm    

Bob & Dick, what do you mean about Jagwires being hard to get? I just found an up and running website for them. Are they still in business?

Kevin Barber

Marianna, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 7:51 pm     `

It must have been a bad run. I have used Live Steel Strings for about a year and a half, NEVER had a 3rd string break until the last batch I bought. I broke 3 in a 2 week period.

I put the last 3rd string that I had in my seat on about a month ago and so far so good. That string must not have been in that batch. At first I was thinking I may have had a problem with my steel, but after putting the last 3rd string on and all is well, and after others have had several 3rd strings break, I can only figure a bad batch. Not a slam at all to the Live Steel strings, as they have always been great, but I guess it's possible with ANY brand to get an issue every now and then. Hopefully the possible bad batch is done with and onward we go.

Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 8:17 pm    

Dave, I was referring to about two or three years ago when Jagwire shut down for a while due to an illness or something.

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 6:23 am    

I have been using Live Steel Strings since Jagwires became hard to get for me. The short winds are way better on the changer end. I use the same heavier unwound strings as Paul Franklin. I have had no string breakage at all on my Promat P/P and none on my Mullen and I play a lot! I would say overall, the best string I have tried. They stretch out good and then stay put in tune. Good company to do business with as well. My 2 cents, mileage may vary. Very Happy

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 8:09 am    

I am not a pro, by any stretch of the imagination but I've used lots of strings. I am thrilled with Live Steel. Been using them for a long time and I Have broken only one 3rd. I used to worry constantly about a breakage during a performance so I would keep the 3rd and 5th changed regularly. Not anymore. I use a .012 on three and .018 in five. They last and last. And to me, the tone lasts longer than any other strings I've tried. Couldn't be more pleased. As was said..YMMV
NRA Life member

George Seymour

Notown, Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 12:01 pm     Re: `

Kevin Barber wrote:
It must have been a bad run. I have used Live Steel Strings for about a year and a half, NEVER had a 3rd string break until the last batch I bought. I broke 3 in a 2 week period.

I put the last 3rd string that I had in my seat on about a month ago and so far so good. That string must not have been in that batch. At first I was thinking I may have had a problem with my steel, but after putting the last 3rd string on and all is well, and after others have had several 3rd strings break, I can only figure a bad batch. Not a slam at all to the Live Steel strings, as they have always been great, but I guess it's possible with ANY brand to get an issue every now and then. Hopefully the possible bad batch is done with and onward we go.

Ok...I'm not the only one, earlier batches never broke the third, really amazed me, This last order has not been the case, I do agree Kevin with your comment

Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 2:17 pm    

Been using LSS for several years now. I play an average of 3 to 4 four hour gigs per month. Pretty sure I have less breakage and longer life than any other brand I have used in my 40+ years of playing. I use the stainless.

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2016 9:51 pm     Re: `

George Seymour wrote:
Kevin Barber wrote:

Ok...I'm not the only one, earlier batches never broke the third, really amazed me, This last order has not been the case, I do agree Kevin with your comment

Same here. The first batch I bought was great, but not the second batch. I keep breaking the 3rd string after about 2-3 gigs. I broke a 5th string too. I switched to D addarios and haven't had any problems.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2016 6:40 am    

Been using LSS for several years and never had had a problem. Since retirement 1 1/2 years ago I haven't missed many weekends playing. I use nickel strings, Franklin gauges on both G2's. Broke my first 3'rd a couple weeks ago. No problem, it's going to happen in the best of universes. If I change anything it might be the gauges but I'll always use a .012 for my G#. I always have a set on hand and spares but usually try to order just before it's time to change strings. Just my opinion 😀😀.