The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSG store St. Louis, MO
James Jewell

Ontario, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 8:13 am    

I am visiting near St. Louis, MO. I have heard there is a good steel guitar store in the area. Can someone tell me what/where that might be?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 8:21 am    

I'm not sure Scotty's is still around.
Just south of town, there's Jefferson County Music, who makes steels, but I don't know if they have a store.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 6:42 pm    

Jeff county music is a store on old hy 21 next to hy. M. They have several used steels and a shop. Not sure what you need but I recommend calling first. Daryl and Dan are nice folks and very helpful. You can find the number on a Google search. Scottys I believe has closed and not sure how to contact them. You may try the forum for Sandra or Michael Scott. That's as much as I know.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 7:14 pm    

I purchased a copy of the Jerry Byrd course from Scotty's Music last December. At the time of the purchase his son informed me that the store would close but their website would stay open mostly to sell instructional material.

If you do some searches on the forum Scotty made some great posts about the Grateful Dead stopping by his store and he jammed with them.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 9:13 pm    

Scotty's store is sadly all shuttered up.

"Closed for Business" sign in main window and on front door.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 3:49 am    

Mark Hershey wrote:
If you do some searches on the forum Scotty made some great posts about the Grateful Dead stopping by his store and he jammed with them.

I attended some of those Dead jams at Scotty's. (I even remember some of it.... Smile) Those were the days.

James Jewell

Ontario, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 4:53 am    

Thanks for your input; I live a long way from sg country so I was planning on taking advantage of opportunity to see and learn from guitars and their players.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2016 3:06 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Mark Hershey wrote:

I attended some of those Dead jams at Scotty's. (I even remember some of it.... Smile) Those were the days.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1973301&sid=b6d7f6839647799dd23add8e57dcb2f6

For anyone interested there's the link to Scotty's story about the Grateful Dead hanging out at the store. I would have loved to have been there as well Jim. I've always really enjoyed Jerry's pedal steel playing and I've always learned a lot from Scotty's Mel Bay instructional material.

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 6:58 pm    

I find it particularly sad that Scotty's family didn't continue Scotty's legacy with the store. He put many years into it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 7:00 am    

And I find it hard to understand when a family so involved with the store and instruments let it go. Far too many businesses left to the family take this route. Now my go to store is gone. Internet business has played a hand in the demise of many family operated businesses. We will persevere and move on.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 7:07 am    

Who knows why? Really not for us to be judgmental about. Here, off the top of my head, is a list of possible reasons (I have no idea which, if any, apply to the Scott family in particular):

They lose heart after the death of the prime mover

They have given decades of their life to living someone else's dream and wish to devote their remaining years to dreams of their own

They are tired

They are ready to retire

They have other family issues that demand their time and attention

The business wasn't doing so well anyway and would require a major overhaul (and possible large cash infusion) to turn around

Many other possible reasons could be imagined... Really not our business to judge them for their choices in life. They've given us enough. Let's say 'thank you' and let them move on.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 7:15 am    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
I find it particularly sad that Scotty's family didn't continue Scotty's legacy with the store. He put many years into it.

It was probably a labor of love for Scotty, and I can understand letting it close.

Also, the instructional material is still up on the web and his son was a pleasure to deal with.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 7:17 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Who knows why? Really not for us to be judgmental about. Here, off the top of my head, is a list of possible reasons (I have no idea which, if any, apply to the Scott family in particular):

They lose heart after the death of the prime mover

They have given decades of their life to living someone else's dream and wish to devote their remaining years to dreams of their own

They are tired

They are ready to retire

They have other family issues that demand their time and attention

The business wasn't doing so well anyway and would require a major overhaul (and possible large cash infusion) to turn around

Many other possible reasons could be imagined... Really not our business to judge them for their choices in life. They've given us enough. Let's say 'thank you' and let them move on.

Well put and I will join you in saying thanks for all they have done.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 5:19 am    

Does anyone know FOR CERTAIN (not speculation) whether or not Scotty's is doing online or mail order business? I want to be able to refer people to them, depending on their status.
"They may" this or "they may not" that just doesn't cut it.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 7:26 am    

I'm sure you could email Mike Scott and ask.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 7:42 am    

Gonna do that, Jim.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 9:31 am     Stovall's Grove

Dear James - There is a bar near St. Louis that has had continuous country shows (local bands) every Saturday night supposedly since 1936. Its called Stovall's Grove. I can't guarantee what's going on there exactly when you visit, but Don E. Curtis used to play there quite a bit. It's a small place with pool tables and a bar and some tables with folding chairs. Not exactly Branson, but its about 30 mins south of St. Louis.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2016 7:55 pm    

You can go online and look at Stovals Grove calendar of events. Last I checked they still have country music shows.

Darrell Grigsby

Jonesburg, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 7:05 am     music store in St. Louis

Music store in Troy, Missouri.
Store owner is a steel player, named Duane Dunard.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2016 9:34 pm    

I can't say I blame Michael and the family for not keeping a brick and mortar store going in this economy. It's just about impossible to make any kind of profit. The days of cool little music stores are over for the most part. Very difficult to get people to support local stores, especially when you can order everything on line with no sales tax, 15% off map, free shipping and send it back in 60days if you don't like it. There's no profit left for a small business. Sad

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2016 12:20 pm     Re: music store in St. Louis

Darrell Grigsby wrote:
Music store in Troy, Missouri.
Store owner is a steel player, named Duane Dunard.

Duane recently sold the store to St. Louis area guitar player Steve Pecaro. I don't know if Steve is doing anything related to Pedal Steel.

http://www.lincolncountyjournal.com/dunard-of-duanes-music-reflects-on-career/