The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  When You Don't Know What You Don't Know
Randy Owens

West Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 1:19 pm    

Hello all! I hope I am in the correct forum. This is but my second post here but I've been lurking on the forum since 2014. I'm one of those people who bought a lap steel first, thinking it would somehow relate to a pedal steel. My main interest is gospel music and I think I must have downloaded all of the tabs that Jack Gentle posted here. If not for those songs, I would have probably given up on C6th a year ago. Anyway, it looks like there is a LOT of gospel music out there for E9 PSG and I'm thinking that this is the direction that I need to go.

What I need to know is how to choose a guitar when I know very little about them. I've read advice that says to avoid anything with "Student" or "Starter" yet when I read reviews about guitars like a GFI SM-10 or a Carter Starter, people generally like them. In the unlikely event that I find a nice looking MSA-Mullen-GFI, etc. in a music store, what are some signs that it isn't worn out and that I won't be chasing my tail trying to keep it in tune? It's not like I can sit down and play it because I don't know the slightest thing about E9 let alone 10 strings! I believe that GFI has the SM-10 out now with 4 levers and 3 pedals or would I be better off with a SD-10 style of guitar? Sadly, I also have to allow for the fact that I may never catch on to PSG. I do come from a musical family but none of us are very good at anything Laughing I do play some guitar and mandolin and know 2 or 3 songs on that lap steel. I understand that this is an expensive undertaking so I have to be sensible about this.

I could sure use some advice from the folks who have been where I am!

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 3:42 pm    

Randy, It depends on how bad you want to learn to play. I tried to learn to play guitar and took lessons at about age 12. I guess that I wasn't dedicated and willing to spend the time to learn what my teacher was teaching. 20 some years later I decided to buy a steel guitar and try to learn to play it. I found a good player to teach me...not sure that he is happy with how I turned out...it is very important to get help from a good player. Although I am an average ....or less, player,I have had many years of fun playing this thing. As far as you catching on to Pedal Steel Guitar....It will depend on how bad you want it. It will take work.
Most of all make it fun.
Good luck with your endeavor. Dale

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 4:04 pm    

Hi Randy, your always welcome to come over and try out my Mullen.
Your have my phone number and can call any time. Your not that far
from me, and maybe you'd enjoy a nice ride. You're welcome to bring
Annie with you and can stay as long as you like. Always enjoy company.
Lucky

Dale Hampton

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 4:15 pm    

There you are Randy, you won't get a better offer than that.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 5:42 pm    

Buy the best steel you can afford. A student model is cheap, but it may not inspire you to try & learn if it is hard to play or won't stay in tune. A pro model will be easier to sell should you decide steel ain't for you.
Then, listen to a lot of steel on YouTube, and go for it!

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 6:09 pm    

A new Zum stage one is a not too expensive way to get started. You need a volume pedal, a bar, a set of picks, and an amp. Any amp will work to get you started. You can look for a good used MSA, GFI, Carter (not the Starter), or BMI. These brands often sell for less than others, and are good solid guitars. Get a guitar with at least 3 pedals and four knee levers. Ask questions here and people will help. It is best to buy from a player who can demonstrate the guitar or at least tell you if it has any problems. This is not any easy instrument to learn, but if you find a good teacher and put in the practice time, you CAN do it! Good luck.

Patrick Richards

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 7:34 pm     Good first guitar

So many great inexpensive pro models. Avoid the student models if you can. Previously played Mullens, GFI, Zum En core, Stage One, there's a bucket full of great guitars out there. I'm sure you'll find the right rig for you. Have fun and just play it Cool I like the GFI for your situation. I have a GFI and an Emmons p/p. I play the one that's sitting closest to the door when I'm loading out most nights. The GFI is a great guitar with an awesome support program if you ever need it.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 8:01 pm    

Hi, Randy,

Let me echo Carl's invitation. If just west of Indy is close for you then you're welcome to come over to discuss whether pedal steel is a good choice. I've got a student model, an S10, and a D10, all of which you can sit down with. Heck, I even have a C6th S10, too, which is kind of unusual to find.

I'm retired, so we'd just have to work out a time when that would be convenient.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 10:39 pm    

Dear Randy

It would help to know your budget range. That's going to decide what a lot of your options are. You need at least $1,000 to $1,500 generally to buy something that is going to be worth it. You'll want at least 3 pedals and 3 knee levers to follow standard instructional materials. You want the guitar to work properly when you get it, cause there's enough problems without having to worry about if the darn thing needs adjustments or not. So getting the newest or highest quality your budget will allow is the best plan. Somebody here said pedal steels are like cars, new ones need less tinkering and repairs than old ones. Student models can be just fine, as long as you have got those 3 pedals and at least 3 knee levers. I think the Carter Starter is a significant exception to this rule, but there are definitely folks out there that like them, so what do I know?. And finally any guitar sounds great in the hands of a master, so whatever you get, practice, practice, practice, and that will make any guitar sound better.

Randy Owens

West Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 11:57 pm    

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. As for the budget, I'd like to keep it at $2K or less. The advice is exactly what I am looking for. One of my fellow mechanics at work (David Moore, Blackjack Davey Band) has a popular blues and rock band in Indy. He thinks I have a screw loose for wanting to do this. I think he's wrong and I want to try E9.

Lucky, Annie was sitting next to me when I read your email invitation and she was surprised that I didn't leave for Illinois right then Smile She knows how badly I want to learn to play. We both look forward to meeting you. I have a feeling at least one of us will show up on your doorstep!

Eric, thank you for the invitation. I live between Crawfordsville and Brownsburg. I work at Allison Transmission in Speedway. Maybe we can meet up some evening on my way home. I usually smell like mineral spirits or transmission fluid so you may not want me in your house Laughing

With friends, advice and offers to help like these, it looks like the rest is up to me. Thanks again!

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 5:58 am    

Randy,

You're about, oh, an hour or so from our place south of Monrovia. Your suggestion 'bout coming over after work would be good. I've got a couple of gigs today but will get in touch
with you tomorrow or next.

Eric