The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  PSGA 43rd Annual Show, Nov. 5-6, 2016, Darien & Norwalk, CT
John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 8:50 am    

Hi Everyone,

The Pedal Steel Guitar Association (PSGA) will be conducting its 43rd annual show on November 6 in Norwalk, CT. Last year's show was an immense success, with the performers playing to a packed house. At this point, the show is a one day event, however, Buck Reid will be returning again this year and in addition to playing on November 6, will be conducting a class on Saturday November 5 covering the E9 and C6 neck. Catching one of Buck's classes is a rare opportunity, one not to be missed. Details on Buck's class can be found at: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=306923

At the moment, we are scheduled to hold a one day this year, but if a few more things fall into place, we may have a Saturday evening show added. Stay tuned..

As was the case last year,it will be well worth making the trip to the Double Tree Hotel for a another memorable weekend. Discounted Hotel rooms will be provided to attendees on a first come / first served basis until October 5, 2016. Those interested in Buck's instructional class should waste no time in signing up to assure you will get a seat!

The lineup at the moment features The following players:

Cindy Cashdollar, Jim Cohen, Jeff DeMaio (with the Gunsmoke Band), Raphael McGregor, Rob Segal, Tom Vollmer, Buck Reid, Jonny Lam, Buck Reid, and John Elchleay.

We are lucky to have some great players this year in addition to the return of Jim Cohen, Cindy Cashdollar, Jeff DeMaio and Buck Reid.

So please mark your calendar and make the trek down to one of the oldest shows in the country, support the PSGA and enjoy a great weekend of steel guitar instruction and playing and meeting up with old and new friends.

For room bookings, contact The Doubletree Hotel, 789 Connecticut Ave, Norwalk, CT; Exit 13 on I-95! PSGA special room rate til 10/5/16: $90, Code: PSG(203)853-3477

Visit the PSGA site for more info and we hope to see everyone there in November!

http://www.psga.org
John Brabant
1978 Emmons D-10 P-P

Last edited by John Brabant on 30 Sep 2016 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 3:40 pm    

John,

I didn't see anywhere on the PSGA site about ticket cost for the show. DO you have info on that yet? Might be my first show......

Thanks!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2016 3:22 am    

Hi Jim:

Thanks for asking. The admission to the Sunday event, which starts at 11 am and ends at 6 pm is a mere $20. I think that was the price charged 20 years ago. We are trying to get as many people as we can to attend, thus the low price. It is a bit of a risk as for the PSGA to cover its costs and be able to continue to put on such great shows with such a line up of great performers accompanied by a stellar jazz / country / rock backup band, we need to fill the place. Bring a carload of friends, bring the family. We need everyone's support on this to make it a success.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2016 8:20 am    

The PSGA 2016 flyer with the details of this year's show:

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2016 11:03 am    

Thanks, John. I'm going to do my best to be there.

BTW....have you ever had Susan Alcorn perform at a show? I would think she would be a great addition, and bring a lot of musical diversity to things. Just a thought.....

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 5:23 am    

I can't make the show this year but I plan on being there on Saturday for Bucks seminar.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 6:39 am    

Thanks Ben and Jim. Ben, be sure to contact Buck Reid ASAP as we need to get a tally of attendees sooner rather than later. Look forward to seeing you there Jim.

Regarding Susan Alcott, I am not sure if she has attended the PSGA show in past years as a performer. As we look to planning for the 2017 show, we will keep her in mind. She does provide a very different approach to the steel.

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 2:21 pm    

TTT

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 5:17 am     Darien?

Why is Darien, Conn. included in the thread title?

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 7:03 am    

Manny, the Buck Reid seminar will be on Saturday in Darien which is the next town over at a different venue, and then the show will be held at the regular spot in Norwalk at the doubletree hotel on Sunday

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 4:21 am    

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 6:17 am    

Thanks Craig, I wasn't sure where Buck was holding the seminar. Jack Stanton told me he was planning on being there too. I'm looking forward to it.

Bob Maickel

Floral Park, NY
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2016 2:48 pm    

Sorry for all the updates on the show this year but it is a bit hard to keep track of the changes, thanks to Jeff, John, and Craig for their valuable help.

Buck Reid will present his instruction class at the Piedmont Club Lounge, 152 Hecker Ave. in Darien, CT starting at 10 am and finishing at 3:30 pm. As an extra added attraction the PSGA will present a concert at 8:00 pm until 10:30 pm at the Piedmont Club - also featuring Buck Reid, Jeff DeMaio and friends, with the Gunsmoke band. There is a very small attendance fee.

The 43rd Annual PSGA Steel Celebration will be at The Doubletree Hotel in Norwalk on Nov. 6th.

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2016 12:57 pm    

I'm sorry that I can't make the show; too far for me to travel. I'm thankful to John for using one of my photos of Buck Reid in his poster. This was one of the photos that I sent to Bob Maickel for the PSGA Newsletter.

Best wishes, Jim Harrison

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 6:44 am    

Hi Jim:

Wish you could make it. Darn. Your photo of Buck was was provided to Jeff DeMaio by Bob Maickel for the flyer he developed. Here is a better quality copy of the flyer. Please bring friends and family. Admission is very reasonable for such a show and we need a very good turn out for the finances to work and be able to continue to bring these shows. Carpool with your musician pals and have a fun and memorable road trip to and from the event.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2562165#2562165

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 10:23 am    

I'm going to show up this year. Do you have a schedule of performers' times yet?

Jim R. Harrison

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 12:17 pm    

Hi John,
Thank you for your acknowledgement & invitation to drive to your show. However, my drive would be just over 3,000 miles - again, too far for me to attempt. Best wishes for a successful show! Jim Harrison

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 4:22 pm    

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this Buck's guitar that was used at the Buddy Emmons celebration at the CMHOF? "The Killer" really killed "Night Life" on it - I had to rip the audio from the YouTube so I could play it over and over on my iPhone...

Jim R. Harrison

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 7:32 pm    

Frank, I can't answer your question as to which guitar Buck was playing at the Buddy Emmons celebration. However, I know that Buck had been playing a JCH guitar, as shown in my photo, for some while. He was playing an Infinity guitar at the recent 2016 TSGA Jamboree - see my recent photo, below.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2016 3:36 am    

Mike, the schedule for the show is now posted on the PSGA site, www.psga.org.

Hope to see you there

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2016 4:17 am    

Oh Boy Mike Neer Will be there,I can finally buy a CD from him hopefully I won't get lost in Connecticut! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2016 4:43 am    

Stu, just don't bring that Alaskan weather with you, and how will we recognize you? will you be wearing the outfit from your avatar? Very Happy

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2016 6:05 am    

Craig,I moved from Anchorage Alaska this past May,I'm now in Ulster Park N.Y."Hudson Valley"I get lost a lot...hopefully the GPS will get me there,I wish that I had the"Bender Suit"! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2016 7:16 pm    

Stu,

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Norwalk, would like to know if you knew 'moon in a Alaska. He seemed like a great guy and I miss seeing his posts.

See you in conn. It's not hard to find.

Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 15 Oct 2016 1:54 am    

Craig,I did know Moon,He was a wonderful guy,He showed me his"Carter"and because of him I bought one...I miss him. Winking