The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lazy River Weissenborn 8 string 25- price drop
Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2016 4:43 am    

I built an 8 string weissenborn like this a few years ago and decided to build another one. So here it is. It has a beautiful mastergrade solid honduran mahogany top/back/sides. Really nice Blue Lapis crushed stone inlay for the rosette and curly maple binding. Also has a nicely bound fretboard and MOP inlays. Mahogany is a truly great sounding wood. Beuatiful highs with a lot of depth and a nice smooth and warm bass. The midrange is very even and compliments the tone very well.

This is number 290.Right now it is tuned in open D, which is what I use 90% of the time. However I have a few customers that use a Low G tuning and C tunings which are probably the next popular ones.

This weiss has a satin lacquer finish. Lacquer is still the best sounding most protective finish and is the upper end industry standard. Oils, sound good, but offer very little protection from things like finger picks, steel bars dropped on them, dampness in the form of drops of beer or coffee or just humidity. And the saturation aspect of most oils and their application can sometimes dampen the tone of the wood. Polyester finishes, which is what you normally see on mass produced instruments such as Taylor's, lower end Martins and cheaper imports are way too thick to let the wood vibrate and resonate like it should. A well applied lacquer is more labor intensive but offers a nice crisp finish that is thin enough to let the wood resonate, but also offers superior durability.

Right now it has Gotoh Mini tuning machines on it. But I used Kluson 19-1 tuners on my last 8 string baritone. I really liked them and will probably switch these out to the Klusons. Super smooth.

This weiss is handmade by me in the USA. It is number 278 and 279. There's is no plastics or laminates anywhere on this instrument. The top is braced with sitka spruce and tap tuned and voiced by shaping and sanding the braces to get an optimum tone. Everything is built in a humidity controlled environment to ensure a long healthy life. However, this is a fine instrument and certain precautions with heat and humidity are advised. I have detailed information of how to care for your instrument in pdf format that can be emailed and this info is available on my website.

$1800 is for the weiss only. Cases are $60 and shipping is $40 anywhere in US. $70 international. I can take any form of payment. Also if this one is a little overpriced there are several ways to trim it down. I can build one that might suit your budget a little more. Normal construction time is 2-4 weeks depending on how busy I may be.

Also, my return policy is by exchange only. So if you get this one and find that it doesn't suit your style or would like to try a different one we would exhange it for a similar priced one, excluding Koa. After almost 20 years of instrument building and repair and 300 weissenborns and 30+ guitars built and sold, I feel my construction techniques and craftsmanship are top notch.

lazyriverguitars.com
lazyriverguitars@gmail.com
Cell - 984-234-9270, please leave message, our cell reception is not very good here..

Last edited by Rance White on 12 Mar 2017 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Giovanni Bailo

Italy
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2016 10:47 pm    

I'm Giovanni from Italy. I own a beautiful custom baritone weissenborn from Rance. He is is absolutely a great, great luthier. This 8 strings weiss is a stunning, wonderful instrument! Many congratulations, Rance

Aaron Ballance

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 6:20 pm    

I'll reiterate the above post: Rance's weissenborns are great! I have an 8 string baritone he built for me earlier this year, and I am a big fan. Someone will love this guitar.

Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 12:19 pm    

Thanks a lot guys. Great to hear from you both.

Tonu Timm

Estonia
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 10:04 pm    

I really like what I see! Should be great to try out the sound.

Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2016 6:26 am    

Gees... thru all of the hustle and bustle of the holidays. I totally forgot this one was still for sale. Would love to hear any offers. If you can't afford this one, I'm sure I can build one that can fit a budget better.

Also I'm offering international and domestic shipping at $40.

Thanks for looking

Rance White

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2017 8:22 am    

Hey Everybody, just wanted to post the price drop on the 8 string. You can view it here. But if your interested just email me or message thru here. And if you're interested in buying it please let me know thru a PM or email before you buy.

Also photos are listed here. And I'm uploading a video to you tube. Amazing tone and response. I wish I could find someone with some talent to make a video or soundclip of it. But for the time being you'll have to hear me playing it. Thanks a lot.

Thanks,

https://reverb.com/item/3094542-lazy-river-8-string-acoustic-lap-steel-weissenborn