The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  mid 60's Boston band The Remains
Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 6:37 pm    

Were any of you Boston/Northeast guys into a mid- 60's band called the Remains. I came across them on Amazon, never heard of them, but from hearing 30 sec. clips they sound like I would have got into them back in the day.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 8:28 pm    

They were well known in New England back in the 60's. They were sometimes called Barry and the Remains. Barry Tashian was the lead singer. I think they had a major label deal. They played on the Ed Sullivan Show, and they opened for the Beatles on their 1966 USA tour. I think they broke up after that.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 10:00 pm    

Barry Tashian was a close friend of Gram Parsons too. that's him singing lead on Cry One More Time on the '72 'GP' album, which also features great steel playing from Buddy Emmons and Al Perkins.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 2:36 am    

I have their reunion record from 2002 called "Movin' On". I first became aware of them when they had a song on the "Nuggets" sampler. Barry Tashian played and sang on "Last Date" by Emmylou Harris feat. the Hot Band.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 5:30 am    

They opened 19 shows for the Beatles in 1966. This pic is from Dodger Stadium:

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 8:06 am    

Seems like it's the same guitar Barry used almost fourty years later. Anybody knows what brand it is?

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 8:40 am    

Thanks for the info guys. I kinda figured I would hear from Doug and maybe Joachim way to go guys Very Happy I think its an Epi Joachim I saw another pic of him with that guitar and there was an E on the pickguard altho I don't remember ever seeing an Epi like that. I see Cyrcle played that Beatle show also.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 11:08 am    

Their reunion record is not very pricey, Will.
https://www.amazon.com/Movin-Remains/dp/B0000AOC0T
It's worth listenig to.
And also thanks to Scott.

Michael Lee Allen

Portage Park / Irving Park, Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 11:12 am    

deleted

Last edited by Michael Lee Allen on 21 May 2018 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 11:36 am    

Wow, thank you Michael!

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 2:08 pm    

Barry
I remember the band in the 60's.
He was also a member of Emmylou's band and did harmonies with her.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 4:45 pm    

Thanks for all the good info and pics.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 11:34 am    

He and his wife Holly play around Nashville off and on as a duo and for a number of years they were both part of The Shelby Bottoms String Band. They (the Tashians and the String Band) parted ways a year or so ago. Barry and Holly's son Daniel is a terrific songwriter and singer as well.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 6:32 am    

A few years ago, The Fretboard journal ran a cool spread of photos from a mid 60s studio publicity session.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 1:30 am    

The band leader and one of the members are from my home town, Westport Ct. Barry Tashian ( singer, guitar and leader) and Bill Briggs keyboards.

They were quite the HIT for a short period , had a couple of 45's on the charts as well. Toured with the Beatles on the 66 tour then for whatever reason, broke up.

I knew Barry, (still do ) and for a brief time played Steel with Barry and his wife Holly in Westport Ct, that is until Barry got a call from Emmylou Harris to join her band , the Hot Band. Barry toured with Emmylou for easily a decade, played guitar and sang harmony with her.

Barry and Holly live in Nashville and have a more of an acoustic /bluegrass group or duo We visited them a few years back and talk now and then by email. Both very talented.

The Remains still do some scheduled shows now and then but are not a touring group by any means. The bands drummer, Chip Damiani, passed away maybe a year or two ago. He was still fairly active on the live music scene up in Southern Ct.

The Remains were indeed quite the exciting thing when they were on the scene !

I'll close with a few tid bits;

My band mates brother ( back then in mid 60's ) was on the phone with Barry and Barry said to him during the conversation, "I gotta go, Paul is calling for me" You know, Paul as in Beatles Paul !

The Remains if not the first, were one of the first bands to tour with a monitor system which was TWO mics on a mic stand and two separate sound systems. It is said that the Beatles picked that up from the Remains.

Following the Beatles tour they rented a loft in NYC, at some point I was told that everything they owned was stolen from the loft.

When Barry played with Emmylou, he had this great sunburst with binding Tele, When I saw him I asked him if he still had it, NOPE, it was stolen when on tour.

Barry was the first LIVE person I ever saw sing and play electric guitar, Barry went to HS in the same class as my sister. I went with my parents to pick my sister up at a school dance and there was Barry up there singing' and rockin away. I think I was 12 and that was that , my first influence. Barry would have been 15 or 16. I told that to Barry once and he took the full blame for "steering me" wrong ! LOL, we both laughed.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 4:46 am    

Great memories there, Tony! Thanks for sharing them!

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 10:07 am    

Great stories and info, thanks Tony.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 1:59 pm    

About a dozen years ago my band played a Gram Parsons tribute show here in Mass. and Barry & Holly were also on the show. Real nice folks, nice harmony too.

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 7:40 pm    

I just heard an album of theirs. Pretty damn cool, and I wonder why I never heard them 50 yrs ago.. location, location, location. Just think of all the good local bands that never get heard. Although they did tour with the Beatles. They sound like Yardbirds, Zombies, Them, Kinks only your in the garage with them. They sound like the Stones, only better?? they sound like the Beatles, only better??? They sound Bluesy, and Psychedelic, with great harmonies, they sound like the Remains. Wow, I guess I like them.
That was after one listening, We will see how it goes.
I can't wait to listen to this in the car.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 8:26 am    

The Remains were quite the thing, they were LOUD, very LOUD, in your face and each member was moving around all the time. Very exciting. They were not your Moms pop band with new clothes! They graced the NE with excellent music for quite a time even before they hit the road with the Beatles. They were on all the POP TV shows including the Ed Sullivan show.

They had a several 45's out as well as this LP, which was the first. The drummer in the Photo is ND Smart but he was replaced by Chip Damiani, not sure of the time frame but of the many times we saw them play, Chip was always the drummer.

Just before they went on tour with the Beatles, they played a concert at the Westport Ct High School Auditorium, which I think had near 3000 seats. they packed the house, standing room only. And they rocked the joint!

For us, as a budding small town band, they changed the way we approached how we looked and played, plus we now needed bigger amps ! We no longer stuck to the "band mold". A bunch of Stones, some Beatles and a lot of REMAINS was our path. Sure was fun !

This clip kinda shows what they did, it was on live TV, they held nothing back even when the TV camera's were on !

http://www.downvids.net/remains-ed-sullivan-1966-448512.html

Last edited by Tony Prior on 26 Sep 2016 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 8:50 am    

They were on Epic, like the Yardbirds.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2016 3:19 am    

When I was on Facebook, I "friended" Barry. A very nice man. Here he is singing harmony with Emmylou on "Tennessee Rose": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxTrmkLA1mY.
Thanks for the info, especially Tony and Doug.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 3:03 am    

That era of the Hot Band and songs were awesome, even iconic.

I recall we went to a big country music show at Giants Stadium , Merle, Emmylou a bunch more. Barry walked out with Merle to check on some gear or something , they were both laughing about something or other.

This was a last minute thing for us or I would have contacted Barry and Holly to visit with them before the show.

Small town kid does well!

Will Houston

Tempe, Az
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 2:21 pm    

This guy Barry is my new music hero. He's been at it for over 50 yrs, great vocalist and guitarist, I guess he's still at it. I can't believe I'm into the Remains 50 yrs later.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2016 5:04 pm    

Quote:
I can't believe I'm into the Remains 50 yrs later.

I know what you mean. I'm playing Hawaiian songs that are 90 years old!