The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Craig Baker
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 8:49 am    

WOW!?!? I had no idea, he was even ill...what a great guy. He dedicated so much of his life, to make many of us sound just a little bit better...Thanks Craig, for all you've done, you've definitely left a "scratch" in this world!

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 8:51 am    

This is a shocker and I am truly saddened Craig was a very dear friend and I will miss him... RIP ole friend.... Slim

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 10:57 am    

If anyone gets his obituary, please post it. I've been watching the news sources and funeral homes in Eatonton, but haven't seen anything yet.

Praying for Craig's family.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Larry Custer

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 1:23 pm     Rip Craig

I as well as rest of yous to hear this.I've known Graig when he lived in PA.He and my father were good friends.I has my Dad's little Izzy he got back in the 60's and it still works great.He will be be missed.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 2:09 pm    

So sad to hear this. The only interaction I had with him was when I purchased an Izzy. Super friendly and answered any questions I had. Almost a year later my phone rang and it was Craig...just calling to see how the Izzy was working out for me and if I was happy with it. I was completely shocked. Outstanding person to do business with and he surely will be missed.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 3:23 pm     Craig's Obituary

Obituary for Craig Morgan Baker

Mr. Craig Morgan Baker, age 71, passed away Sunday, September 11, 2016. Memorial services will be held Friday, September 16, 2016 at 4:00 PM in the Great Hall of the First United Methodist Church of Eatonton. The family will receive friends from 3:00 Pm until the service time.

Mr. Baker was a native of Philadelphia, PA. He was the son of the late Melvin Hervey Baker and the late Constance Kane Baker. Mr. Baker was the owner of FM 100.7 Star Station, WLRR Milledgeville. He was a licensed pilot who loved planes and flying. He acquired his HAM Radio license at the age of 13. Mr. Baker loved music. He played the banjo and steel guitar. He was the inventor of the Li’l Izzy for steel and electric guitars.

Mr. Baker is survived by his wife Debra Baker of Eatonton, daughter Mallory Lauren Baker of Eatonton, step-daughter Melanie (Michael) Brown of Kiefer, OK, step-son Matthew (Amanda) Seamans of Eatonton, brothers Kenneth Baker of Womelsdorf, PA, grandchildren Shilo Jade Seamans and Emily Grace Seamans of Eatonton, Corinne Ellis, Ashley Ellis and Braiden Ellis of Kiefer, OK

In Lieu if flowers donation can be made to Samaritans Purse at http://www.samaritanspurse.org

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 5:01 pm     Sad Day

Craig was a man of his word. the few dealings i had with him he was a true gentelman i,am so sorry to hear this sad news RIP Mr Baker

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 6:21 pm    

I just found out about Craig's passing. though I did not know him personally, his passing is a tremendous loss to the steel guitar community as a whole. I pray God will send his angels to the family. And I would like to offer condolences to the family. I have heard said, we are not guaranteed forever in the physical.
Life is a vapor, we do not know what is going to occur form one to the next.

I pray for the family at this time. God's love and peace will comfort them.
Tommy Shown

Rick Stratton

Tujunga, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 6:44 pm    

Another sorry person here.
Perfect example of the positive effect of the SGF.
Proud to have been a part of his cyber-family.
RIP brother.....

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 1:23 am    

I posted earlier but felt the need to do so again. Craig Baker sales just did not stop when you got the product. It was amazing to be riding down the road and my phone would ring and the voice on the other end would say "Paul, Craig Baker here". I believe in his product and helped him sale some to other steel players. To me his passing is just a huge loss for all of us.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 4:21 am    

When Craig called me on Sunday, less than a week before he passed, although sick, he still had a since of humor.

His opening phrase was: "Baker here from the Little Izzy Factory Warehouse and Showroom"

Craig was calling to ask me to cover a gig for him in November.

I could tell he was sick, but all he said was that he was getting over pneumonia. I don't think he told anyone (or at least to my knowledge) that he had Liver Cancer.

I am sure glad I got to talk to him one last time. It was a 30 minute conversation while I was driving home from Nashville.

When I told him where I was, he said "Thanks for covering for me on the Opry"..

I will miss him
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Steve Allison

Eatonton,Ga. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 5:39 am    

Oh my!
MY good neighbor from up the road. I had no idea. Just goes to show you how much you need to spend more time with friends. Between playing all the time and 8 grand children you loose touch with other lives that you cherish! May you rest in peace good man and bless your sweet family. Lay down your working tools of life and go with God.

Steve and Paula Allison

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 5:44 am    

You know, if someone knows how to contact her or lives nearby, it would be good if his wife and family could see all these posts.

I miss the dude. He was a good one.

Steve Pawlak

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 5:52 am    

Quote:
So sad to hear this. The only interaction I had with him was when I purchased an Izzy. Super friendly and answered any questions I had. Almost a year later my phone rang and it was Craig...just calling to see how the Izzy was working out for me and if I was happy with it. I was completely shocked. Outstanding person to do business with and he surely will be missed.

I had the exact same same experience
He really seemed like a nice guy

Our loss

Jeannie Smith

Bethlehem, GA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 7:18 am     Craig Baker family

Craig and wife Debra and 17 year old daughter Mallory came for dinner a month ago. .to meet up with Jack Mollette. Craig repaired an amp for Jack while I made the salad Craig, Jack and my husband Wayne played 32 Ernest Tubb intros. ..wish I had that jam in a video. .not just in my memory. I will forward this portion of the forum to Craig's " girls". Wayne and I will miss him terribly.

Scott Duckworth

Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 2:01 pm    

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 7:18 pm    

This is sad news. Craig was such a fine person.RIP.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 3:16 am    

Scott, thanks for posting Craig's obituary. stevet

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 6:57 am    

What a loss of a great fella.
He would call about once a year just to see if I was still enjoying my Lil Izzy and chew the fat.
Sad news. My condolences to all.
Jb

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 7:05 am    

Ouch

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 3:32 am    

Sad

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 5:01 am    

I just talked to him almost 2 weeks ago and he had checked his self out of the hospital and was going to send my Lil Izzy out the next week and when I did not get it I was wondering if something had happen,He did tell me he had liver cancer. now I know and it is sad news to hear. He seemed like such a great person even though I did not know him personally. I had called to check on the Lil Izzy when he told me that he had been in the hospital and appreciated my get well wishes.The only number I had was his number so I didn't know anything had happened. Sad.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 9:41 am    

Such a wonderful person, he always took the time to help me out when I had an electronics problem. We talked on the phone a few times, going to miss him for sure.

Johan Forsman

Sweden
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 1:27 am    

I purchased my Li'l Izzy from Craig this summer. We exchanged many emails after that, he was very curious to know how I liked the Li'l Izzy, but also our conversation touched on politics, volvo cars (hey, I'm from Sweden) and our daughters (mine 6 months and his 17 y/o). Even though I only spoke to him through email I could tell he was the nicest guy and I truly appreciated the time he took to answer my questions and to make sure I was happy with his product. I told him that it was my new favorite piece of gear, which it still is. First class service from a super guy! I really did look forward to speak to him again.

So very sad to hear he is no longer with us. RIP Craig.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2016 2:45 am    

This is shocking. Craig was a fine forumite that I looked forward to encountering.
It will be hard to have some Werthers without remembering Craig.