The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many machinists here?
Duane Reese

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 8:06 am    

How many machinists do we have amongst us, professional or amateur? It seems that it if you were a steel guitar tinkerer, having a machine shop and knowing how to use the stuff would be handy, to say the least.

I wouldn't call myself one because I've never been formally trained, but I have done some learning under the direction of machinists/engineers, and have been able to make parts from scratch with a drawing, or post-machine a single feature on a part (all manual — no CNC yet). It's a welcome opportunity for me, and sooner or later, I will probably have my own equipment. I also have a brother who is really aspiring to get into it, so we have a lot to talk about these days.

Any of you care to do a little show and/or tell?

Last edited by Duane Reese on 11 Sep 2016 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 8:13 am    

Michael Yahl IS!! A Professional Machinist and Professional human being....He is amazing at both.

http://psgparts.com/main.sc

Ricky

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 9:30 am    

I've been in engineering since I started my apprenticeship in 1971, been machining, toolmaking, maintenance etc ever since Very Happy

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 11:53 am    

dang richard; I was wondering why everything you do/work on/talk about; is SOOOOO perfect...now I know....Awesome bro.
Ricky

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 12:33 pm    

I had a complete metal shop in support of my business.... light production and tooling. Also had a Fadal 4020 machining center used for both wood and metal work. Sold it all five years ago.

I do still have my Surfcam CNC software which has a great 3D drawing component..... I miss my tools. Sad

Merle Record

Oxford, Maine, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 3:04 pm    

I've been a machinist since graduating from trade school in 1970.

Michael Coggins

Sligo, Ireland
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 10:54 am    

I've been toolmaking all my working life since 1979. I had my own business in the UK for 17 years.
Time flys when you're enjoying yourself!
Mullen Royal Precision SD10, 2002 Fender Telecaster, Alden Mandocaster, Boss Katana 100-212, Stage One V/P, Tom Bradshaw Resonator Pedal. Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Ego Compressor, Boss Super Chorus, Simble Overdrive.

Harry Teachman

South Dartmouth,Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 4:59 pm    

Worked as a machinist for about 18 yrs. I know another steeler who not only is a great machinist, but also taught the craft for many years......how about it Manny?

Joshua Tschetter

South Dakota
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 3:07 pm    

Livin' the dream myself:) Never worked a day in my life!!!
If ya love what your doing it's not work! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 3:51 am    

I worked as a design engineer for 30+ years before recently retiring. Spent lots of time in the electronic and software area but also have done many mechanical and machining projects. There is a nice machine shop downstairs with manual and CNC machines. Yes, having engineering, woodworking, mechanical, and machinist skills have served me well with the PSG.

Robert

manny escobar

portsmouth,r.i. usa
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 4:24 am    

Hi Harry, Thanks for the plug. I taught machine shop for 23 years and built my first pedal steel guitar in the school shop. Tom Bradshaw was very helpful back then in 1983.

Rich Sullivan

Nelson, NH 03457
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 9:52 am    

I worked in machining for 30 years. I started a one man business (me) in 1988 with one CNC machining center, and sold the business and retired in 2008, after the business had grown to eighty employees and about thirty CNC's. We were a job shop and mostly concentrated on making parts for the electro-optical industry. Probably one of the nicest memories is of making some parts that were installed on the Hubbell telescope during a repair mission. The one connection my business had with steel guitars was that we made endplates, necks, and keyheads for most of the Fessenden steels that Jerry made in the last twenty five years.

Shane Ardoin

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 1:22 pm    

Still working as a machinist been doing so for 17 years. all old school no cnc. at my job we perfect the surfaces inside hydraulic components.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 5:04 pm    

If I had just one tool, I'd purchase another ATrump Mill. Mine had a Y-axis motor drive as well as a 2-axis DRO (digital readout). You might end up spending nearly as much for tooling and accessories as the original mill purchase price.

Here's an interesting video of a small CNC machine.... built by David DeCaussin who along with his father and brothers started the FADAL Machine Company. I think it would fit nicely in my garage. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-y03hhCCME=

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2016 3:16 am    

I wish I was smart enough to be a machinists, I always admired people who know how to make things...Mr. Papic who builds Promat guitars, was an engineer, and machinist, back in the day he was a head of an engineering department in some big company...

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 6:00 am    

With a background in mechatronic automation, I guess I can call myself a "machinist" Smile

Tommy Young

Ethelsville Alabama
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 8:05 am    

Been a machinist most of my adult life

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 2:46 pm    

Had a couple of photographers over in the garage, a few years apart. Top pic, on the right side of the table, behind me is a Bridgeport Series 1, that gets used daily, and a LaBlonde Regal 14x42 lathe.

On the other side of the table is the Miller Syncrowave 300 that I bought in 1986, and that's what pays the bills. Working on a stainless steel armature for the artist, Nancy Rubins. No shortage of compound angles here.

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2016 3:52 pm    

I worked 8+ years as a tool and die maker and another 30 years as a maintenance machinist in a papermill. I did the machine work on this steel.

Last edited by Norman Evans on 21 Sep 2016 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim R. Harrison

North Vancouver, B. C., Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2016 10:30 pm    

While I was a university student, I worked as a machinist's assistant for two years - doesn't really count. Two others that ARE machinists are Glen Porter from New Mexico and Ed Fulawka, builder of Canadian Fulawka Guitars - http://www.ambrec.com/fulawka/

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 11:55 am    

I need a machinist who can prototype a bar for me, double ends and with grooves milled down the sides. I've tried contacting a few guys, who can't do it; there's some profit potentential, I may try a kickstarter kind of thing, but first I need someone who can make two of them from brass. I have drawings.... PeeM or EeeM me?

Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2016 12:39 pm    

Problem is, today's Mech Eng graduates don't even know how to represent or dimension a drilled and tapped hole on a drawing. Depend too much on the software (Solidworks, for example).
Then there is the wonderful world of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing. Like learning a second language...
CNC Machines are great tools, but print creation and reading are sorely needed capabilities.

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2016 2:04 pm     From reading this Forum regularly.............

I have to believe there are a gazillion out there. I've only recently sold a classic Rickenbacker Fry Pan in excellent condition and 100% functional........

only recently learning the purchaser was unhappy with it and went about sawing off the 'nut' and replacing it with a home-made gizmo aluminum unit. Next on his list was messing with the original Rickenbacher pickup as it was 'floating'.

I still find it hard to believe anyone would do such a thing to such a collector's item.

Neil Degraw

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2016 8:58 am    

I spent 23 years as a tool and die maker with, Nortel, a telecommunications supplier company. A lot of the work was working with very fine tolerances, .0001 of an inch. It was a great career which I enjoyed very much.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2016 7:35 pm     Shane. Please check PMs

Shane,will you please check your Forum PMs regarding the Excel? Thanks, Steve t