The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Peterson Strobo Plus
Bud Harger

Temple / Belton, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 7:26 am    

Is there a way to set this tuner to power-up in the setting I used most of the time?

Say...SE9

Thanks.

1969 Emmons D-10 8f/4k; Evans Amps.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 7:38 am    

If I'm not mistaken, if you power down with that setting on, it will be there when you power up.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 8:12 am    

Erv is right.Just set it for say SE9 and it will be there on the next power up.

Chris Robbins

Biggsville Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 10:20 am     Tuner

Speaking of that,is the SE9tuning the most used on the Peterson Strobes?

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 10:59 am    

I used SE9 for months, then went to the OE9, and it sounded better on MY guitar when I play with a band. The fret markers seemed 'better' with the OE9, and I tune my pedals and levers with OE9 as well...you'll just have to try them! Smile I tuned to the 6th comma mean tone, and it sounds GREAT solo, but playing with temper tuned band mates, it was really bad! Have fun!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 6:39 pm    

Ive always used the OE9
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 6:58 am    

So have I.
I think the E stands for Emmons.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 9:52 am    

For years I used a slightly modified Newman tuning referenced to "440". When I had an older Peterson with the factory Newman at 442.5Hz I tried it and it didn't sound right to me and I even had problems getting my Franklin tuned to it (Both E9 and C6). So I kept using my own modified "440" Newman tuning.

I got the new StrobeoPlus HD and tried the Newman SE9 and SC6 at 442.5. It sounded right to me and I've used it ever since I got the tuner a couple of years ago. I even programmed my own, that have almost everything (opens and pedal/knee lever changes) in one E9th program and one C6th program. There are a couple that I have in a separate program (E9th, the 4th string raise to F# and the 4th string lower to Eb) and the C6th 3rd string lower to B). But those rarely require tuning so having them in a separate tuning is not a big deal.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 12:13 pm    

I'm glad this subject came up cause I just purchased a Stroboplus HD for my Universal 12 and I am a bit disappointed in the Jeff Newman sweetened tuning that is programed in it. There is only one choice for the 12 string on the tuner and it sounds a little off to my ears. Quite frankly, before I bought it, I was using a regular tuner and tuning straight 440 on everything and it sounded way better to me. I am new to playing the pedal steel so I am not sure where to start to make it right using the Stroboplus HD. There may be a new Stroboplus HD and leg mount come up for sale on the forum if I can't figure out how to use it properly. All I can say is the sweeten tuning for the 12 string has been a bit disappointing for me.
Thanks, Simon

Last edited by Alan Simon on 9 Sep 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 12:26 pm    

If you like the straight up 440 tuning, why not use it on the Stroboplus HD? Rolling Eyes

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 1:06 pm    

I figure, if I like the 440 tuning, why should I use the rather large and expensive Stroboplus HD tuner when my littler (cheaper) tuner works for me.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 1:13 pm    

You can't get the precision with any other tuner like the Peterson.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 2:43 pm    

Mine comes up with the same as I power down with. The only thing I can't figure out is, why the tuning is different then my Boss analog tuner with the needle. I tune to the Jeff Newman setting, but when I check it against the Peterson, it show it as being flat, but yet it is in tune with all my lesson material, and off with the Peterson. I use the Sweetened E9th setting. What goes I don't know.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 2:44 pm    

I use the SE9 , with a little tweaking to the ear.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Last edited by Ronald Sikes on 9 Sep 2016 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 3:13 pm    

I used the hertz, and my E's are tuned to Newman's 442.5. Have used this tuning ever since Jeff put it out in a news letter he used to put out. I think it was around 88-89.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Alan Simon

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 4:18 pm    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
If you like the straight up 440 tuning, why not use it on the Stroboplus HD? Rolling Eyes

Hey Erv, I used the Peterson tuner to tune my U12 in 440. Worked great and I just might keep the tuner after all. I've tuned this guitar 5 times today and I'm getting a little weary so I'm glad it's sounding good again. Now I can get back to playing cause tuning is a necessary PITA.
Later, Simon

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2016 7:22 am    

Alan,
Yes, you've got the right idea.
I used a Boss TU-12 tuner for years and even after I bought the Peterson, I would still use the Boss. However, I had to use a tempering chart with the Boss and it isn't necessary with the Peterson, so now that is my tuner of choice.
As far as the Newman tuning chart, he originally had one with the E's at 440, it was later that he issued a chart with the E's tuned higher.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2016 9:23 am    

Yes, this is true. He had the G#'s at 438
and F# at 437, but it was around 88-89 is when he changed it. It had to do with some of the others working with it. then he used the new one a couple years before he put it out. Buddy was using the same for a long time. Not sure if he changed to something different or not. I have a the papers from Jeff and Buddy about the change.

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2016 6:24 pm    

What Stroboplus settings do you gentleman prefer for C6?

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2016 10:03 pm    

I don't play C6th, but I think it ha a setting SC6th, or something, but it is the next setting past se9th

Bud Harger

Temple / Belton, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 2:40 am     C6th

I use SC6.

It's tempered and very nice!

1969 Emmons D-10 8f/4k; Evans Amps.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 5:43 am    

I've "shared" (as Peterson calls it) my programs with quite a few. If others want them, e-mail me your registered with Peterson e-mail address and I'll send you my programs. Use the Peterson Connect program to load them into your tuner.

I have three programs. "JE9" which is the SE9 and the E9th pedal/knee lever program in one (minus the 4th string F# raise and the 4th string Eb lowers). These include "modern" changes that were never on the Newman charts such as raising the 1st string to G#, raising the 2nd string to E, lowering the B string and 6th G# with splits on both strings, 9th string lower, etc. Same with the "JC6" which includes the SC6 and pedal/knee lever programs combined in one, except the 3rd string lower to B. The three noted exceptions are in a 3rd program "JKL" but as these rarely need tuning its no big deal.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 11:16 am    

Ronald Sikes wrote:

Thank you Ronald but...
1)How come there is no E to D# knee lever cent offset indicated ?
2)To tune the A pedal do I have to push A & B at the same time or just the A pedal ?
3)To tune the B pedal do I have to push A & B at the same time
or just the B pedal ?
4)Same question with the F lever,do I have to tune it with or without the A pedal engaged ?
5)And C pedal, with or without the B pedal engaged ?
Thanks !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 20 Jan 2017 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 3:45 pm    

OE9 here for my 12 string universal
Plus a couple compensators

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2017 4:02 pm    

2 3 & 4: due to cabinet drop, tune them as you'd use them.