The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Want Lindley tone? Here's your rig.
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 9:48 am    

Check out this video by my bud Tom Hampton, a great Lap/Pedal/Guitar (and others) player and session guy, demo'ing his new Glaswerks Zingaroo amp (Dumble-inspired). Tom, like many of us, worships at the polyester altar of Lindley, and just nails his tone and playing here. Outstanding.

He's a loquacious fella, and talks about the amp a bit....so, music starts @ 2:45, if you just want that.

https://youtu.be/JlCKrw-uGsU

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 10:11 am    

Very cool, thanks. Definitely has the DL tone. Inspired me to dust off the polyester altar Smile

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 10:30 am    

That's a lot of money for the Lindley tone, in my opinion, but I can see where if you really want that (and can't afford a Dumble amp), this is it.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 10:40 am    

Doesn't seem all that outrageous to me, for a hand-made, USA built, small company amplifier.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 10:53 am    

The price seems to be right in there in comparison to many boutique amps these days. Whether or not Mr. Dave would approve that it cuts the mustard in comparison to his Dumble I guess is a question to be answered.

And below is far from the highest I have seen on Dumbles for sale, more like a midddle-of-the road price: for sale on Reverb.com is a 1977 combo that was built for Terry Haggerty of The Sons of Champlin. Asking price - $65,000.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2016 10:58 am    

The 50 watt is on my short list. I have to sell two Mesa Boogies to buy it, but I'm OK with that. I can't lift the MK I RI anymore.

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 3:46 pm    

I've brushed with David, via MCCabes, for many years. He does not like new equipment. Mostly he has a splitter on the chord between his steel and the amps, and he keeps one amp fairly standard and adds all kinds of effects on the other amp.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 3:51 pm    

He also doesn't really sound anything like the classic tone he got on those great 70's-80's Jackson Browne, etc recordings, anymore. Going for a much different thing.

THIS sounds like that 70's "Running on Empty" tone, to a T.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2016 4:25 pm    

The tone is good and pure in that regard. With Lindley, you could almost hear the tubes going nuclear, probably a little rectifier sag or something.

The tone doesn't do anything for me anymore, I'm afraid. I wanted to be like Mr. Dave 20 years ago, but in my experience there is only one who can pull it off: the man himself.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2016 3:27 pm    

There has got to be an effect pedal out there that could give you that "tone" or very close to it?

Any suggestions? I am looking for a budget version!
Dom

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 9:05 am    

His tone has been discussed frequently in the past. Olli Haavisto posted a video clip of his playing through a Mad Professor Golden Cello pedal. This seems close to his tone to me, but I'm sure you could find cheaper combinations that will get you close to the sound.

A combination of a compressor and an overdrive seems to be the ticket.

That's assuming you can't afford a Dumble amplifier. Wink

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 11:00 am    

A friend loaned me his original Hermida Zendrive pedal a couple years ago. I say original because apparently what is out there now is not the same as when Alfonso Hermida first came out with these things. I have friends who are addicted to boutique effects pedals like they are drugs - not at all my area of expertise.

As I recall it isn't based so much on Lindley's lap steel tone on his Dumble, but more along the line of Robben Ford's Dumble sound. But it was fun to play around with and it seemed to kinda/sorta get it in the general Lindley ballpark on my Supro going through a Deluxe Reverb reissue.

On the other hand, I don't recall that I was sitting there saying to myself: "Gee, what can I do to get the tone as close to possible to Lindley on Jackson's original recording of These Days?"

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 1:35 pm    

I was just about to post.......

I don't have a non-pedal steel right now, but just for shots and goggles I plugged in my Zendrive (recent issue......they sound the same) and it went a LONG way toward getting that Lindley thing. Not as nice as Tom Hampton on the video above, but sounded good.

BTW.....Tom didn't post that to say he nailed Lindley's tone. It was just an amp demo, and that's the sound he goes for and is influenced by. It's his own thing. To be clear, I'M the one who thought it was pretty darned close.

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 5:40 am    

It's easy to forget that one of the grand ironies in all this is that the sounds so many of us are spending thousands to re-create with amps and pedals are the sounds of cheap lap steels through (often) the cheapest amps of the day.

Those amps didn't have the sonic complexity of a Dumble, or even of an amp waaaaay less expensive, but no one seemed to mind either then or now. The only difference is that those cheap old Supro amps, etc., are often now a fortune on the used/vintage market and re-creations of those cheap amps so often start at $1000 and go up from there.

That mini-rant aside, I really like Tom's tone here. As for pedals, there are a few I really like but which one(s) I choose depends entirely on which guitar and amp I'm using. Everything sounds different with everything else. Probably the 'Lindley-est' I can get with my current gear is with my Asher Electro-Hiwaiian through the Golden Cello into one of my older low wattage Gibson amps.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 7:31 am    

Quote:
...the sounds so many of us are spending thousands to re-create with amps and pedals are the sounds of cheap lap steels through (often) the cheapest amps of the day.

Good point, Chris. For example, in the world of rock guitar... Eric Clapton played through a 3-watt Fender tweed Champ on the Layla album. Joe Walsh, Aerosmith, and ZZ Topp... little 1950s Champs. On The Kinks early hits - a no-name low watt amp with razor blade cuts in the speaker to produce a filthy, ratty sound. Neil Young and Ted Nugent's early hits - Fender Deluxe amps. Jimmy Page played through a 12-watt Valco student amp on the first two Led Zeppelin albums.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 3:21 pm    

....and try taking any of those old, beat, cheap amps onto a gig and see how well it goes. Unless you're Ry Cooder, with an insane re-amping rig, it's gonna be a mess.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 4:54 pm    

Yes, not enough power for a gig unless mic'ed.

werner althaus

lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2016 8:58 pm    

My rule of thumb: If the amp was built to create clean, undistorted tone (pretty much every amp built in the 40's,50's and 60's) then the distortion will be great, if the amp was built to create distortion (via mastervolume, cascading gainstages or whatnot) then the distortion will sound generic and non-musical. The complexity of a Dumble is an elusive thing, so elusive that those of us who don't buy into it are oblivious to it. I'm not sure it exists and I've heard Dumbles live up close and personal and I have played Dumbles myself being dumbfounded by what the big deal is. Having said that I know players who are into the Dumble thing and they hear something that makes them pay big bucks for Bluddotones or other clones, even the real deal. I don't get it but I believe it's real....elusive but real. As far as pedals go, the ethos is supposedly as close as you can get with a pedal.
To my ears Lindley doesn't need a Dumble to sound like that and anyone using a Dumble and a supro lapsteel doesn't sound like Lindley but it might be fun trying. Very Happy

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 8:24 pm    

Here's Mr. Dave playing a Glaswerks Zingano 50 with Jackson Browne in 2012. IIRC, he owns two of these amps. Gary Johnson, the builder is a Facebook friend. Recently Gary demoed a couple of amps for Jackson and members of his band and received a couple of orders, one, a custom voiced amp for Greg Leisz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIKStRGjyKo&index=3&list=RDQE8wTOJ1o70

Of course there's no secret magic in an amp, but good players recognize quality instruments to work with.

As far as pedals, I have a Zendrive and with my Mesa Studio .22+ and a National New Yorker, I actually get closer to "Lindley tone" with a Tube Screamer. I really like the Zendrive, but as someone else said, I think it's voiced closer to Robben Ford tones. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it and a lap steel?

The "Simble" (Mad Professor?) is another popular "Dumble pedal."

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 3:12 pm    

Heh. Well, there ya go. I didn't even know Dave used one. He sounds GREAT in that Glastonbury vid. Did they tour the US with that band line-up? If so, and I missed it, I'll be annoyed at myself........

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2016 10:20 am    

Jim Fogarty wrote:
....and try taking any of those old, beat, cheap amps onto a gig and see how well it goes. Unless you're Ry Cooder, with an insane re-amping rig, it's gonna be a mess.

you don't have to have an insane re-amp set-up, just a slave out from the speaker terminals, and a Fender. probably better to use an amp w/ an effects return, but i've always slaved my little 5-watt Alamo through medium sized Fenders, Vibrolux mostly.
smaller and lighter than carrying a pedalboard. doesn't have to be complex.

j

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2016 3:21 pm    

I believe that the amps Dave used for studio recording were his "Order of the Python" amps.
One was a modified Fender tweed deluxe and another was a modified tweed Princeton. I believe the Dumble was used for live playing. All sound great with him playing. I spent years trying to emulate his sound, but never quite got there. Must be his fingers.
I play a lot cleaner tone these days.
Lefty

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 2:55 am    

Dom Franco wrote:
There has got to be an effect pedal out there that could give you that "tone" or very close to it?

Any suggestions? I am looking for a budget version!
Dom

I don't want to P@# on your parade but the Tone doesn't sound difficult to recreate on a Multi-effects pedal.

I must say I really am starting to love the true tone with no effects of instruments more than distortion. Maybe I'm getting Old.

@Dom get a Boss ME25 or something like that and you can model amps share tones etc.

I just started modelling pedal steel guitar effects/Dobro/Hammond Organ and different clean guitars.

If you need Any of those tones just PM me and I'm more than happy to share
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 11:22 am    

Stefan Robertson wrote:

I don't want to P@# on your parade but the Tone doesn't sound difficult to recreate on a Multi-effects pedal.

let's hear it! Wink

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2016 4:15 pm    

I can get close to that sound using a blackface Princeton Reverb (modified) and a Rivera Blues Shaman Pedal.
I just can't justify the cost of some of these "boutique" amps. Like any business I have to make $$$ when I work... it would take quite awhile to offset the cost of a lot of those amps.