The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe Seymour 's push pull being sold on Ebay
Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2016 8:57 pm    

To add my .02$ to the mix ....... Having bought a PP from Bobbe in the late 80's, I played that guitar for almost 10 years with almost no adjustment, but he bs'd me about a hole in between the necks, First of all he said it belonged to Weldon Myrick ( it never did) and second the hole was there because of a special effects switch. This hole ended up giving Jim Palenscar a scare when I sent it to him for a refurb, as I had neglected to tell him about it. Well it turns out that the hole was right under a LKV knee lever mount... imagine that, as I had him install one. I also endured the vitriol from him about other players and builders of steel guitars........ And the last one, in a backstage convo with Buddy at John Ascuagas Nugget in Reno, I asked Buddy if the the guitar Bobbe had been claiming Buddy had on consignment was really his. Buddys very polite answer was " Ahem, NO" and the subject was changed.........

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 6:36 pm    

Many years ago, I traded Jimmy Roy for a basket case Bigsby S10 that had belonged to Maurice Anderson. The story was that Bobbe had tried to convert it to a Sho-Bud rack and barrel with a Birdcage changer. The bent-over nails instead of screws and nuts were part of the give-away on why it wasn't successful. Some time later, for some reason, we ended up in a conversation about the guitar and I asked him about why he did that to a bigsby and he denied ever doing that, so I sent him a pic of the signature that was under the neck, when I removed it. He could be very entertaining ...

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 6:47 pm    

I went over to the store and looked at the guitar in the OP on Friday...

Brought back a lot of memories...when BS worked at the"Western Room"down
in the Alley back in'78,I was playing next door at the"Carousel"...

Our breaks were at different times,so I'd run over to the"Western Room"and sit at
the bar right in front of him(bandstand was behind the bar)...

Amazing the E9 the guy knew...he didn't sound like anybody else in the world...
His"Echoplex trick"was astounding...he had the foot switch where he could hit it with his right heel and stop it exactly where he wanted to...most people just let it trail off...he had it down,boy...

He owned that guitar for 30+ years that I know of...he loved it...I saw him on hundreds of gigs over the years and that was his #1...great sounding horn...

Some of it was probably the operator...

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 6:49 pm    

Chas said:

" Some time later, for some reason, we ended up in a conversation about the guitar and I asked him about why he did that to a bigsby and he denied ever doing that, so I sent him a pic of the signature that was under the neck, when I removed it. He could be very entertaining ... "

He could make it up on the fly...it WAS entertaining...

I spent MANY days at all FOUR shops.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2016 7:29 pm    

Bobbes CD Priceless is in the current rotation of my "drive to rehearsal" mix ........it sure makes a 41 mile trip shorter. I think the guitar in this post was used on several cuts.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2016 4:01 pm    

Not being a "insider" I stayed away from anything worth more than a thumbpick... I mean you see:

Tired of that Heavy, Bad-Sounding, Worn-OUT OLD guitar? Buy a new ____, You won't be sorry!

And then any number of Heavy, Bad-Sounding, Worn-OUT OLD guitars, "You got to have the right guitar, that's how the Masters got their sound!"

"AS-owned by", not "OWNED by..." Yikes.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2016 6:28 pm    

just a few facts about this guitar from reliable sources, and someone who worked with Bobbe, and was very close to him... this is the real thing, this guitar was built from original kit Emmons parts for Bobbe by Jimmy Crawford, it also has a "Crawford Cluster" on the left knee... this guitar stays dead in tune, Bobbe would tune it only after changing strings... tone of this guitar is amazing, my source said, this guitar has the best tone he ever heard (and he heard a lot of steel guitars, trust me) ... screws in the end plates are there for a good reason .... as I thought, after learning more about this instrument I was right, this is an awesome sounding and playing guitar, if I had the cash, it would be sitting in my living room...

https://youtu.be/y17WvBIlnfM

Quote:
Bobbe Seymour here saying good bye

Sad

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 11:39 am    

Price drop:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Emmons-D-10-Push-Pull-Steel-Guitar-/222246321534?hash=item33bee9bd7e:g:FGEAAOSwknJXx1XP

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 11:56 am    

John Brabant wrote:
Price drop:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-Emmons-D-10-Push-Pull-Steel-Guitar-/222246321534?hash=item33bee9bd7e:g:FGEAAOSwknJXx1XP

and still with offer option, someone needs to buy this before I sell my kidney...

Jeffery Self

Spring City,Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 6:51 pm    

NO Damir!!
Not the kidney Laughing Laughing

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2016 8:13 pm    

Sad songs and kidneys aren't selling this year.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2016 2:58 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

you know Herb my friend,you are right, and it is interesting to me that people would fork out thousands, and thousands of dollars on some "xyz" guitar brand, but for this guitar they would say "it's not worth that much just because Bobbe played it"...so, even if we disregard the amazing history of this guitar, it will still eat your "xyz" brand for breakfast any day of the week, especially tone wise...

Last edited by Damir Besic on 16 Sep 2016 3:04 am; edited 2 times in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2016 3:00 am    

Jeffery Self wrote:
NO Damir!!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking Cool

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2016 4:29 am    

Herb Steiner wrote:

Too funny! I think Willie Nelson would approve!

Laughing

Lee

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 7:21 am     emmons p/p d-10

Damir Besic wrote:
Jeffery Self wrote:
NO Damir!!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking Cool

kidney and pedal steels there is a combo Laughing Laughing
go for it damir Wink

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 8:15 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
just a few facts about this guitar from reliable sources, and someone who worked with Bobbe, and was very close to him... this is the real thing, this guitar was built from original kit Emmons parts for Bobbe by Jimmy Crawford

Just curious - what is the "real thing"? Is this an Emmons guitar built by someone other than the Emmons factory, and then modified by someone else with non-Emmons parts?

That's what I'm gathering (from the preceding posts, anyway).

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 12:49 pm    

What an interesting thread...A template for "how to be a good player"....and how to be remembered..
With every coming day, every relationship, every aspect of life....we take the good with the bad....trick is to tip the scales continuously..on the side of the good...Smile
I have fond memories of Bobbe...he was a charachter...
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2016 6:32 pm    

Right you are, Mickey...he was the most colorful character in the steel guitar world. Reminds me of what my old man used to say from time to time..."Everything you've done affects everything you'll ever do." Smile

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 8:41 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:
just a few facts about this guitar from reliable sources, and someone who worked with Bobbe, and was very close to him... this is the real thing, this guitar was built from original kit Emmons parts for Bobbe by Jimmy Crawford

Just curious - what is the "real thing"? Is this an Emmons guitar built by someone other than the Emmons factory, and then modified by someone else with non-Emmons parts?

Emmons used to sell kits for their guitars, Jimmy Crawford would buy kit, put it together, and sell it, Bobbe had bought one of those kits, and Jimmy put it together... guitar is not "modified" and all the parts are factory Emmons parts... Jimmy Crawford is not "someone" , we all know who Jimmy Crawford was...right? now if you had built it from the kit, that would be "someone"..see the difference?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 8:45 am    

I think that a guitar built by Jimmy Crawford from an Emmons kit might be better than one built at the factory. Crawford's guitars were spectacular.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 11:51 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

Just curious - what is the "real thing"? Is this an Emmons guitar built by someone other than the Emmons factory

Interesting, yet today we have many saying you can still buy a NEW Emmons Steel from a dealer as we all know the factory is long gone.

Not that I am an expert, but the Crawford Cluster was never available directly from the factory , it was available from , well, Jimmy Crawford !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 5:35 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:

Emmons used to sell kits for their guitars, Jimmy Crawford would buy kit, put it together, and sell it, Bobbe had bought one of those kits, and Jimmy put it together... guitar is not "modified" and all the parts are factory Emmons parts... Jimmy Crawford is not "someone" , we all know who Jimmy Crawford was...right? now if you had built it from the kit, that would be "someone"..see the difference?

Herb Steiner wrote:
Not commenting on anything anyone has said here about this guitar or my friend Bobbe, but only to objectively say that the two screws going through the front endplate ears are not stock, and the decal is not one from the Emmons Co., but rather a design the Bobbe had made and has had for about 30 years.

Chris Lucker wrote:
Bobbe told me and he also told Jon Brandt that the screws through the ears were Factory -- the only guitar Emmons made that way.

Ahem.

Bobbe glued the guitar's two cabinet top decks together down the center, therefore he could not get the cabinet to fit tightly in the endplates.

He did the cabinet gluing thing with a fake Wraparound with necks he had Brian Adams make for him.

Damir, obviously, my definition of "modified" (cabinet decks glued together, screws added, wrong decal, and non-Emmons necks) does not meet with your approval, but I'm just restating what others here have said. You gotta beef? Talk to them, thank you.

p.s. Your trying to denigrate me with the Jimmy Crawford remarks is rather silly, since I knew of him and had seen him play long before you ever did.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Donny Hinson on 21 Sep 2016 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 5:39 am    

Donny, I have no beef at all, and I don't really care what your "modified" means or doesn't mean... seriously, no hard feelings...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 1:01 am    

I'm wondering where this thread is going, and why...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2016 7:32 am    

You and me both.
I think it's about time to hit it in the head. Rolling Eyes