The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Am I Getting Too Old
Alan Sim

Lancashire, U.K.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 7:18 am    

Hi Guys
I haven't been here for some time and I last played Steel Guitar in 2006.

I am just 69 years old and I wondered if maybe you all thought I was too old to go back to it?

I was teaching myself and I recorded 3 tracks which were well received on here.

I do not have a Steel Guitar at the moment.

So honest answers please I will not be offended.

Thanks

Alan

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 7:24 am    

You're never too old to be a star! Very Happy

Butch Mullen

North Carolina, USA 28681
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 7:30 am    

I started learning the steel when I was 69. 6 years ago. Butch in NC

Steven Tekulsky

New York, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 7:40 am     Too Old?

I just started at 63........learning slowly, but loving it!

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 8:15 am    

I just started at 73 so you're just a kid. I'm learning slowly but of course I do everything else slowly these days.

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 8:29 am    

I just started at 22.... it's never too late Very Happy

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 8:35 am    

I'm 72 and I just began lap steel last year.
I don't see how age is relevant to playing except if you develop physical restrictions.
I have arthritis and I had to quit acoustic guitar.
So I found the lap steel. I love it and I'm never giving it up.
My pooches kind of wish I would quit but they have no voice in that decision...Smile

........and yes, learning seems to take a bit longer with my old brain but I am having way too much fun with it.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 8:39 am     Re: Am I Getting Too Old

Alan Sim wrote:
I am just 69 years old and I wondered if maybe you all thought I was too old to go back to it?

Never!

Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 8:56 am     Just what is "Too Old"?

Been taking Skype PSG lessons for about 4 months.

Next week I'll add Organ Skype lessons to my bag of tricks.

Don't ever give up - keep on moving. I still work about 25 hours a week, too.

Sept 5th I'll be 81.

Don

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 9:49 am     Never too old

All you 69 year olds, you are just big kids never too old to learn to play steel guitar, or if you have been playing for sometime, but if you are bored with something you are doing then you are too old for it, but if you are always happy with what you are doing then you are never too old for it, does this help you decide what you want to do? Steve Black.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 10:18 am    

I think it all depends on what you future goals are.
I've been working with a elder steeler in Illinois who wanted to play in church and his goals are being met. He has been playing in church for a few years now. Very Happy

Alan Sim

Lancashire, U.K.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 10:43 am    

Thank you for all the replies I can see from them that I am not too old.

I was getting on really well with the guitar and taught myself enough to record some stuff
then the guitar developed a fault and it had to go back.

I have played 6 string for over 50 years and the steel was a really nice diversion that I liked and was getting better at.

Talk on another site got me thinking that I would like to try again and that was the reason for the question.

Alan

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 10:53 am    

I started at age 60 having played other instruments, and now I'm 65 and I'm getting on just fine with it. Unless you have any major ailments, age is just a state of mind. The pedal steel is complicated but rewarding, and I'm sure it's keeping my brain sharper than if I just walked the dog and watched football.

Sidney Ralph Penton

Moberly, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 11:22 am     too old ha ha ha never

i was around 58 when i started playing and i am self tought then after about 5 years i gave it up. well this year i bought another steel and i am back on it i got hooked on it from before and i guess i will stay on it. it makes no difference what kind of music you play nothing sounds as good as a steel guitar. and your never too old for anything till your heart stops

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 12:31 pm    

Yes, you're much, much too old. Give it all up. This is the best you'll ever be, and it's downhill from now on. Laughing

I'm older than you and I'm still playing. Very Happy
I can pick as well as I ever could. Very Happy

Which was never very good. Laughing

Larry Welter

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 9:19 pm    

I played pro pedal steel in the mid 1980s,,,quit playing,,steel as I got a real job,and a real retirement,{,retired in 2010},,started playing steel a year ago,,, playing a hour a day,, I,m better now then back then,,i,m 66,,its been said by medical people its a great way to stay healthy playing a instrument,,good for the brain as well,,,,i love it,,, Very Happy thinking about learning the c6 neck,,hmmmm

Earl Terry

norwalk Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 6:29 am     old learners

I have found in the last 6 years, that you will find if you want to play out. The 40-60 years of experience players in any band, very hard to not sound like a fool. sooner or later, you, will be asked not to play unless they need your 5 bucks. Reality is reality.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 6:55 am    

I don't see why you'd even consider that you may be too old. I think the main reason most of us play is for the enjoyment of the music. If we are still physically able , we all should keep playing. It's also good brain exercise if we keep learning new material. Enjoy the ride. We only live once. Very Happy
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 8:19 am    

At 69, I think you've earned the right to, at least, try it. Mr. Green

David Milliken

Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 9:47 am    

I am 71, been struggling with pedal steel for years after a lifetime as a guitar player. Huge mind shift but I am still at it and I think it keeps me young at heart and continuously alert. Never, never too old to do anything unless physical issues pop up. But then, you could play pedal steel from a wheelchair, or switch to lap, or learn to be a writer. All you folks who are in their 60s, 70s and 80s and still at it should be applauded. You are true inspirations to the rest of us.

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 4:29 pm    

Hey,

You've got at least a COUPLE years left, right? Wink Would you rather spend them learning steel guitar, or playing shuffleboard and wondering if you should've learned steel guitar!?!?!

Honestly, at 48, I'm thinking I probably started a little too late to ever get REALLY good, but as long as I enjoy it, I'll stick with it. Virtuosity is overrated!

Allan Jirik

Wichita Falls TX
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 6:14 pm    

I had my heyday in my 20s with steel guitar, not that I was any good but I was playing three times a week with a couple bands. It was great. Best times of my musical life. Then it was 30 years of dobro, banjo, mandolin as I was raising a family. Still play the banjo, I know it's the butt of jokes around here but it's the best three finger practice you're ever gonna get. Now I'm 62 and I don't play as much as I'd like, still working and come home exhausted. When I retire I'm gonna pick it with my heart and soul. No, not going to be a star but if I can please myself and share with others that is all I want to do.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2016 10:00 pm    

I had my heydays in the late 70's through the 80's. Played 5 nights a week, plus a day job. Didn't realize how tough it had been until I got older. Through the years after, I played, but, not as much. When I retired 5 years ago I thought my playing career was over, until I was asked to play for a local band, here in upstate NY. I'm 67 now and have played with them for over 2 1/2 years and am enjoying every bit if it. I hope to play until I can't anymore. It's lots of fun now, just playing and enjoying the music.
I never wanted stardom or anything like that. I just wanted to be good at it, which, I think I've attained. You're really never too old to play or even start at something that makes you happy. I'm still doing it and I encourage everyone to follow their dream and play.

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 1:15 am     Re: Am I Getting Too Old

Alan I am the same age as you, I did however go through some major Health issues which on each occasion "stunted" my progress. I had to re-learn things I had played for years.I actually started playing steel in 1970. The memory of chord grips takes time to re-learn, it doesn't take long to forget them. My last lot of major Surgery was this June 28th. When I was able to, I got back to my steel....what you put in is what you get out. Don't worry...it's not a race for you, you "will" get here Very Happy

Micky "more scars" Byrne U.K.

Sho-Bud and Carter universals.
www.micky-byrne.co.uk

Lyle Dent

Little Rock ,Arkansas
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2016 6:46 am    

As we age several things are in our favor. We have much more time to practice, more disposable income unless you restore old cars. Pedal steel and amp builders are making equipment we now can carry without hernias. The web is full of instructional information for steel with Skype technology. Hopefully we now have the patience it takes to learn this wonderful instrument that as many before us have dedicated their life to.