The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Garbage Bag Sound Baffle
Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 4:26 am    

Here's a tip you probably can use at some point:

Last gig the set up was really tight. I was on the right side even with the drummer (who was on a tiny riser) with my back against the wall. The only place for the guitar player's (open back) amp was on the riser at the front left of my steel. (Close enough for me to set my beer on his amp). You guessed it - I'm hearing loud guitar and almost no steel. 2nd song - a friend in the audience comes up and tells me I'm too loud. (I already figured as much, but I couldn't hear myself.) My amp is off the stage just to my right angled at about 45. I jump down, turn it straight toward myself and tilt it back so it's aiming right at me. Got thru the set.

At 1st break I go to the car looking for something to use as a baffle on the guitar players amp. All I find is a black garbage bag I had used for an impromptu umbrella. I hung that over the back of the guitar amp and - walla - no more loud guitar - in fact, it baffled it almost too much.
It wasn't sealed in any way - just hung over the back with the end on the top of the amp kinda crunched under the handle to keep it from sliding off.

Cheap, portable, and readily available baffle!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 8:45 am    

If it was large enough, maybe you could have just pulled it over the entire amp... :-J

Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 9:38 am    

He might 'o got mad at me then.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 12:08 pm    

Just kiddin', Dave... Winking

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 1:01 pm    

There have been times when I thought it would be most effective to put the guitar player in the bag.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 3:51 pm    

The only thing that really made me consider trying to become an outgoing, face-making, semi-dancing "frontman" had to do with playing bass on those postage-stamp stages, with the drummer's so-called "crash" cymbal six inches from my head. and the lucky guitarist and singer were way out front, at least 18 inches further away from Crashman. What? Huh?