The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What to do? Austin Sept 3
Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 3:22 pm    

I am going to be in Austin on Sept. 3. There will be a large number of people with me, who are from out of state. They will all be coming for the Ut vs. ND game. They have requested that I find them some musical events, and other fun, during the day. Any suggestions on where to find some good music Saturday afternoon?
Thanks.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 6:48 pm    

Hey Jana, looks like Redd Volkaert is playing the Continental Club at 3pm... he's always a hoot. Not sure of your friends' tastes... plenty of live music in Austin, for sure. The White Horse, Ginny's Little Longhorn, and the Broken Spoke are reliable venues for good music if you're into the country side of things.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 8:32 pm    

I'm doing an early show with the Melancholy Ramblers at the Broken Spoke, 6-8pm. Not hard-core country, kind of a groovy, hard-to-categorize folk group. Fun stuff, though. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 5:32 pm    

Perfect. Herb, can't come to Austin, and, not, stop to say hello. Wouldn't miss seeing you. Holiday weekend, and football game, so should I make reservations?
Thanks, Stephen. Had I been given more notice, I'm thinking, a ND pub crawl, would have been the thing. Something else, The ND team is staying in Round Rock. You will be bombarded with Irish fans. Can you suggest some good places for lunch in RR? Also, is this the weekend for the Co-op meeting? That's for me, not the Irish fans. Thanks.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2016 7:00 pm    

Jana... and James
Don't know much about eating in Round Rock, Loessberg is the one to ask as that's his town.

The Spoke gig does not require reservations, it's in the front of the place in the restaurant area. No cover, decent Texas-type food, and a country band to dance and listen to from 9-1. The Melancholy Ramblers entertain in the front from 6-8. Dance lessons start at 830 in the dance hall.

The co-op meeting was last Sunday. Too band you weren't around as it was a great jam session with a bunch of pro-level players.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 6:02 pm    

Jana, sorry I got back to this too late to contribute more... but there are eateries in North Austin/Round Rock that are nice... The French Quarter Grill is near IH35 and Parmer, nice fine dining if you're into the 30$ entree thing... Chuy's is in north RR off IH35, fave Tex-Mex... Rudy's BBQ is a staple, always good... plenty of choices. Hope y'all had fun.

Jana Lockaby

Kaufman, TX
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2016 7:24 pm    

Thanks, you guys.