Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 10:48 am    

Didn't sell.

Last edited by Alan Brookes on 23 Jan 2018 6:49 pm; edited 8 times in total

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2016 7:11 pm    

It's pretty easy and cheap to get new nuts that are properly filed for 10 strings. Had that done to my old Melobar years ago, helped a heap.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 17 Feb 2017 10:49 am    

Still available.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 8:45 am    

Hi Alan, if you don't mind, I'll give a few more details on this guitar because it's a sleeper a serious Steel player could make into a great guitar. If you don't want the input just ping me and I'll delete it...

The 88 model was built as an EZ play instrument but the components were from the professional Powerslide X 10 model set up (Powerslide was a trademark of Melobar until dropped by the new owners of Melobar and taken by Peavey), so what you actually have in this guitar is a George L E66 steel guitar pickup with the case simply blank. The neck is solid Alder with no laminations from the head to the bridge, Grover Keys, The gray letters on the fretboard are stick-on, simply remove them and clean the fretboard with alcohol and you'll have a standard looking fretboard, Replace the nut and saddle with steel or brass (myself or any luthier can do that for you for around $65), the Proform body was designed for steel players (specifically Buddy Emmons and Jeff Newman) so you could push it into a comfortable position and get the claw position working on the right hand, same body is what David Lindley stated was the best sounding Melobar because there is a steel density plate on the back of the neck adding sustain.

So it actually can be pretty simple to turn it into a serious professional guitar that someone out there could really use.

my two cents,

Ted

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 11:38 am    

Thanks Ted. The instrument is still available.

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 12:11 pm    

I'm looking at it as a candidate to build a 8 string double neck Telobar out of, but we'll see if somebody needs to use it as a single neck first, that's a great price.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 26 May 2017 10:44 am    

Price further reduced. If it doesn't sell I'll keep it.

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 26 May 2017 5:56 pm    

If it will help, I'll throw in a nut and saddle cut 6-8 or 10 for $45 (twenty off the usual price). That E66 pickup on that guitar, grovers, great condition, steal of a price. Also can recondition it with keys up and put a painted solid body on it - keep in mind, letters peel off the fretboard. That should go to a good home.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 28 May 2017 1:33 pm    

Ted Smith wrote:
If it will help, I'll throw in a nut and saddle cut 6-8 or 10 for $45 (twenty off the usual price). ...

If it doesn't sell I might take you up on that offer, Ted, and turn it into a useful instrument for my own use. Cool

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 1:21 am    

Alan, I have had one just like yours for years and have been pleased with it. Great price. Stevet

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 10:14 am    

Yes, I've had this one for years. Unfortunately I'm having to thin out my collection to pay off debts and move into a smaller place. Embarassed

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2017 9:53 pm    

Is it still available ?

Thank you

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 12:37 pm    

Yes it is. Sorry I didn't notice your post from several weeks ago. I had assumed no-one was looking for a Melobar at this time. Embarassed