The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Don Williams "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend"
Jon Voth

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 6:46 pm    

A while back I was driving home from rehearsal and heard a song I'd never heard on the radio "My Love for You Will Never Die". It was so sweet, and had prominent steel that was very straight forward (easy to work out) and alternated from the vocals. I thought this could be a song I could learn to sing and play with my band without too much effort.

Using the internet I found it was Don William's "Some Broken Hearts Never Mend" and the steel player was none other than Lloyd Green. I don't think this was a big hit but anyways It's so beautiful and has become one of my favorites and just wanted to share that.

Jon

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 6:53 pm    

Yeaboy! What a combination with Don Williams' mellow voice and delivery and Lloyd Green's beautiful steel playing. Lloyd always seems to know what to play to complement the song.

It was a big hit for him. Got lots of radio play.

My old friend who passed away a few years ago used to sing this tune. Only person I ever got to play it with. I always looked forward to getting to try and play it properly.

I still practice the solo parts though.

Lloyd was on a lot of Don Williams' recordings. You're My Best Friend, for example, has some very nice steel.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 11:03 pm    

That song was perhaps the first I ever learned to play. Lloyd's minimalistic steel and dobro playing on nearly all of Don Williams' records is as tasteful as it gets.

By the way, the album "Visions", the origin of "Some broken hearts...", is quite unique. With most artists, half of the songs on an album (sometimes more) are mediocre, soon forgotten fillers, but not in this case. There are eleven tracks, and all of them are superb. I've played it so many times I wore out my original copy, and by now I know all the lyrics by heart. My absolute favorite listening for long drives, I sing along all the time...

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 1:35 am    

yeah the steel work by Lloyd was simply perfect in that song.. Always a favorite of mine ... One of those tunes where you think you can nail Lloyds parts perfectly, and never can no matter how hard you try..... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 3:57 am    

I was listening to the Pete Townshend/Ronnie Lane "Rough Mix" project back in the late '70's when a certain song "Til The Rivers All Run Dry" caught my ear. Turns out the dobro player was Eric Clapton!

Couple of years later as I began to play pedal steel, I found my way back to the original by Don Williams with Lloyd Green on dobro - and was completely floored by it.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 7:39 am    

This post reminded me of a couple pictures I took at Scotty's in '90
or '91
This pic is Jeff Newman, Speedy (crying) and Lloyd.

So much fun was had at Scotty's.
This is a picture of Buddy playing upside down
It was that convention the previous picture was taken:

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 7:46 am    

Just chiming in to say that I too have long admired Don Williams's music and the tasty steel parts by Lloyd.

Chris

Larry Rafferty

Ballston Spa, NY
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 1:21 pm    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgijdMkyE4c

Click on the link above to see Lloyd playing with Mike Aldrich. One of Lloyd's favorite dobro players.

They laughed when I sat down to play, cause' somebody pulled my chair away...

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2021 2:32 pm    

Very nice. Thank you for posting that, Larry.
Speaking of Mike Auldiridge, This album Mike did with Jeff Newman in '79. One of my faves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhEV0yrhBSc