The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking For A New Tuner, Puzzled
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 5:39 pm    

I have been using a Boss TU12H for years and I am having on stage issues lately more so on the large strings. I am wired direst out of my Hilton pedal. Tried everything and nothing seems to help. The only tuner I seen on the market that is user friendly and is in HZ is Korg G A 1. The Peterson looks like the way to go but I don't understand it much. I have been using the "Old" Newman tuning for years. (440). My ears are happy with the tuning.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 6:10 pm    

The Buddy Emmons tuning chart is ALMOST identical to the Newman, other than being in cents
http://www.buddyemmons.com/ttchart.htm

Roy Dick

Tahlequah okla. USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 6:33 pm     tuners.

Peterson strobe flip. is my choice. not that hard follow instructions to set tuning choice. I have mine set to compensate for cabinet drop. makes sweet sounds
Fessenden SD10, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Fat Strat, Crate glx 212, Crate GLX 65, Peavy foundation bass, Epiphone flat top Taylor flat top Epiphone Led Paul Epiphone Shreraton Hilton and Goodrich pedals one understanding wife

Terry Niendorf

Boise, Idaho
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 9:01 pm     Tuners

The Peterson Strobe is amazing. Easy to stay in tune all night. I too used Newmans 440 for years, and if you like that you will be sweet happy with the strobe. Has pre-sets for pedal steel and a short learning curve. Call the factory and you might negotiate a discount, and get a free hat ot tee shirt. Might as well get the leg mount bracket while you are at it. Good luck.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 2:47 am    

I don't like the premise of a tuner set to NON-ET, so, unless the strobe tuners have a readout of how many cents the note is from the target, the tuner is inadequate.
BTW, if you have a smartphone, Cleartune displays Hertz, but you wouldn't like it because it actually displays the frequency, and the notion of "I tune my Es to 442“ is revealed as the utter nonsense it is, because 442 is slightly sharp of concert A.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 3:28 am     Looking For A New Tuner, Puzzled

Lane, What type of tuner are you using? The Newman tuning I am using is his original tuning at 440. I wonder why he decided to use 442. Seems like your ear would tell your left hand where to be to be in tune.... I guess he had his reasons. Talked to him a couple times. I wish I would have thought to ask him that.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 3:56 am    

I use Cleartune.
Jeff said that to his ears A=440 resulted in a slightly flat-sounding guitar, so he moved his whole tuning up to A=442.
I also believe in setting your own tuning for each guitar, because many aspects vary by guitar: cabinet drop will affect how much you'll change strings; resonances will change what sounds "right"; personal taste will affect how much offset.
Your TU-12 also has the cents scale, BTW: thats the curved scale (if it's still working).
Instead of trying other people's different tunings, make your own, assuming you have a needle-based tuner.
1) set your tuner to ET, A=440
2) tune your Es to 0
3) tune the guitar by ear (if you're not sure how to do this, I've got a video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F9p4iKWKisY )
4) compare each note against the tuner, writing down each value
5) repeat 2-4 just to make sure the numbers are the same
6) enter the results of step 4 either in a copedent chart (I recommend this option) or into your tuner's program.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 5:12 am    

Here's a screenshot of my Cleartune, Android Marshmallow

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 5:35 am    

The Boss TU12ex has a readout in cents, and is more accurate than the old TUs. Only half as thick too
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 10:31 am    

Hey Lane, I use my Cleartune all time but mine doesn't hold very long. Will go up to pitch and then fall off. Does yours do that? Mine is an Iphone App.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 10:50 am    

I run Android. Do you use the plug-in adapter?
I find mine as sensitive as standalone tuners.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 1:18 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
I run Android. Do you use the plug-in adapter?
I find mine as sensitive as standalone tuners.

No Lane, I don't have the plug in mike if that's what you meant. Just use the mike in phone. That may be the problem why it won't hold the note. I can tune with it, it just won't hold very long and keeps surging I would call it. I did have the tempered settings on mine but lost it all when my phone crashed and had to get new one. They worked great too. Would put it on the money.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 1:47 pm    

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002PC88X2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471902395&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=peterson+adapter+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41hlVG5iRyL&ref=plSrch
Only twelve bucks.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 3:36 pm    

This is the tuner you want -- http://www.petersontuners.com/products/stroboplus/

Set to the OE9 preset sweetener it is pretty much the same as the Newman settings at E=440 ... so you don't need to refer to a chart or remember any hertz settings for each note - it does it all for you. Just hit the string and tune until the strobe stops moving - Done !!

It also recharges like a cellphone so you can just plug in a USB cable and plug it in to whatever you like, including to your vehicle 12V.
It also has C6th, Universal and E=442 sweeteners plus a few other variations.

So easy to use and very feature rich ! -- also available as a smart phone app.

I use this tuner, and also the stroborack tuner as well - and great customer support. Also future proof with regular software updates etc ...
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 7:20 pm    

I a have one of those Paddy and you are so right. Very good tuners and easy to use. Around $120 bucks I think but well worth it. I keep mine at our Opry is why I use the siphoned app at times. I do have to sharpen the 5th and 6th strings just a tad for my ears, maybe 5 cents but other than that, everything else on the money.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 4:25 am    

I use a Peterson strobe HD and like it,I got a Samsung Galaxy S7a few weeks ago...What would I need to get this in my phone?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 24 Aug 2016 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 4:42 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Jeff said that to his ears A=440 resulted in a slightly flat-sounding guitar, so he moved his whole tuning up to A=442.

This an old trick that soloists in orchestras use (especially flute & French horn). If you watch a brass section tune they will studiously sound the given note, then when they think no-one's looking they'll push in a quarter of a inch. It's fine until everyone cottons on; then you get "pitch inflation" and players with older instruments can't get up to pitch, so they call an amnesty and start again.

But I know exactly what he meant. At the rehearsal for my first ever gig I had to play Kind Woman in A at the nut, and it sounded as flat as boots even though my A was 440 same as the keyboard. Lesson learnt. I think it's because the ear can accept a little sharpness but hates anything below the waterline.

Am I right, Lane, that the Cleartune shows cents and Hertz? I think in Hertz (and no, Es can never be 440, although they can be 330) but most folks speak cents so it would be easier to compare what others are doing.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 5:15 am    

Stu, check the Play Store. I think Peterson was rolling out Android versions, but it might not have all the features of apple or standalone. Unless the Peterson displays deviations from the target, it wouldn't appeal to me: I think it's better to program the brain than the tuner. That said, if I liked the program the tuner approach, I'd have a Peterson. Their devices are only exceeded by their service.
Yes, Ian. It displays deviations from ET (or whatever temperament you're running: it supports many temperaments) as well as actual frequency. It doesn't do the silly not-Hertz of the Newman chart.

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 5:20 am    

Paddy Long wrote:
This is the tuner you want -- http://www.petersontuners.com/products/stroboplus/

Set to the OE9 preset sweetener it is pretty much the same as the Newman settings at E=440 ... so you don't need to refer to a chart or remember any hertz settings for each note - it does it all for you. Just hit the string and tune until the strobe stops moving - Done !!

It also recharges like a cellphone so you can just plug in a USB cable and plug it in to whatever you like, including to your vehicle 12V.
It also has C6th, Universal and E=442 sweeteners plus a few other variations.

So easy to use and very feature rich ! -- also available as a smart phone app.

I use this tuner, and also the stroborack tuner as well - and great customer support. Also future proof with regular software updates etc ...

I second this I love mine and I've found other useful applications for the tuner as well.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 6:50 am    

In fairness to the silly not-Hz tradition, I'm guessing that in the days of crude take-it-or-leave-it ET tuners the only way to achieve a tempered tuning was to keep recalibrating, and old habits die hard. I speak as one who has had nothing to do with tuners until I took up pedal steel and wanted to find out what is really going on.

People don't always change their way of thinking just because the technology's moved on.

Dave Little

Atlanta
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 6:56 am    

If you have an iphone, get the Peterson tuner app -10 bucks. You do, however have to get their special hook up cable to plug in direct (which you need when playing out). Seems like it was under $20.
PS They may have an android version.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 8:21 am    

I used a Boss TU-12 for years with a tempered tuning chart.
Then I bought a Peterson StroboPlus and now I'm hooked.
I mounted it on a little shelf attached to right rear leg on my pedal steel and I use one of the tempered tunings pre-programmed into the tuner.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 5:16 pm     Looking For A New Tuner, Puzzled

I ordered a Peterson Stobe HD today. Been watching some videos of it on You tube. I am impressed. I like the idea that it has the Newman 440 tuning and the Newman 442. Thank You my fiends for the advice!!!! God Bless!!!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 12:59 am    

I'm gonna call Peterson today and see if their Android tuner has the"sweetened E9th"patch that would be a great thing for me to have,I'll also order the cable that goes to the guitar. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 5:08 am    

I will always try a reasonable priced tuner realizing I can always use them for guitar if I don't quite like it for the pedal steel guitar. My old standby like so many players is the TU12 Boss tuner.

However, one tuner I do like very much is the Guitar Fetish GFS-90 that sells for $45.00.
Has true bypass and a huge readout that I don't need my glasses to see it. The case on the GFS tuner in black. I plugged my TU-12 into the GFS tuner, then made a tic mark with a silver pen at 442 and 436, etc. I mount the tuner on an I Phone holder with a zip tie. Fits nicely on the leg of the steel. Guitarfetish.com

I even use a Snark clip on doing the same tic mark thing. 😎