The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel seats with adujustable legs
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 9:28 am    

Are there any pedal steel seat makers who use adjustable legs which can be telescoped to give the seats various heights? stevet

Dave Stroud

Texas
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 10:07 am    

I've been researching the different pedal steel seats out there since I'm about to pull the trigger on one... I know that Joe Naylor's seats have an adjustable legs option for an extra $60.

http://www.steelseat.com/pricing.html

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 12:41 pm    

And they'll ALL make them to custom lengths...

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2016 1:26 pm    

I use a folding piano seat "adjustable height" and $20. metal briefcase from harbor frieght.
Get the upgraded one with better foam.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 8:38 pm    

I've always played on a variable-height saddle-style drum throne. More comfortable than a seat and a wide adjustment range.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 7:31 am    

I really don't see any advantage in the alternate ideas for steel seats.
I have the Cadillac in steel seats, the Steeler's Choice with folding back, side car and power strip.
The ultimate in comfort and convenience. Very Happy

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 9:49 am    

Other than a folding piano seat is very light weight and costs $50.
My steel seat with side car and back rest was pretty heavy loaded with my stuff.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 10:03 am    

How do you get your "stuff" in a folding piano seat? Rolling Eyes

Dan Rollans

Little Rock, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 4:55 pm    

Good thread. I own and operate Steelers Choice. My dad,Kenn Rollans, showed me the ropes on building our seats. Over the years, we tested the water with incorporating adjustable legs into our seats. We came to the conclusion that the expense to build would be too much to pass on to customer. By sticking to Dads design and instructions, Steelers Choice is still a leader in our wonderful world of steel guitar.
But, a few years back, a fellow for forum member posted information on adjustable leg inserts that fit perfectly into the legs on the Steelers Choice seats. I have not purchased or tested these inserts myself. So I can't endorse them as a success or failure. I have relayed the information and website where to purchase these inserts to several customers. I have not had any feedback good or bad on there functionality. The price for the inserts from the source website is rather inexpensive. For more information please email me and I will forward the web info to you.
One more note: Steelers Choice has been in business since 1978. Over the years we have had very few people ask for or require adjustable height. I can build your seat to your specifications,height,width,depth,etc...
Please visit www.steelerschoice.com or call me at 501-912-6526. 7 days a week 9-9 central time.
Dan Rollans
Steelers Choice
BTW. Thanks Erv!!!

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 11:12 pm    

Personally, I want something that can be adjusted as not all my steels are the same height even with the legs of the steels telescoped.
I can see a big advantage with a piano seat Ken describes and the drum throne Jim mentions.

Cost is also a factor as is the weight of a loaded up steel guitar seat. I have a small ultra-light aluminum case I can put things that would normally go inside a Pedal steel gutiar seat.

I have no doubt that The Steelers Choice seats and those of Joe Naylor are very well made (many players buy them) but for my needs, less is more. steve t

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 2:37 am    

Steve... my Stealseat has adjustable legs... I can screw out an extra inch.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 7:25 am    

My underarm guitar player even likes the Steeler's Choice seat. When he first sat on it he said: "WOW". Very Happy

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 7:33 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
How do you get your "stuff" in a folding piano seat? Rolling Eyes

Ken Metcalf wrote:
I use a folding piano seat "adjustable height" and $20. metal briefcase from harbor frieght.
Get the upgraded one with better foam.

Rolling Eyes If you want an adjustable height seat Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 23 Aug 2016 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 7:46 am    

A metal briefcase with better foam? Whoa!

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 7:52 am    

Please read the thread Erv about adjustable height seats and it will make more sense to you. Rolling Eyes

This seat and case is 5 years old, costs $70 very lightweight and has adjustable height as mentioned in the subject of the thread.
Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me Laughing

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2016 7:56 am    

Late gig last night! Very Happy

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 1:23 pm     steelseat.com

I have been selling adjustable height seats for about 6 or more years. I made about 5 or 6 true before I settled on what I have been selling.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com.
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Roy Dick

Tahlequah okla. USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 4:55 pm     steel seat.

love my steelers choice
Fessenden SD10, Peavy Nashville 112, Fender Fat Strat, Crate glx 212, Crate GLX 65, Peavy foundation bass, Epiphone flat top Taylor flat top Epiphone Led Paul Epiphone Shreraton Hilton and Goodrich pedals one understanding wife

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2016 5:15 pm     Adjustable levers

I

Photo of adjustable legs and a couple more options.

I started this after requests for them. Same as adjustable back rest angle,swivel and many more options.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 5:41 pm     Seat Height

Ain't that what a saw is for... Customization...

That was my solution. Good Luck with your's.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2016 10:33 pm    

I would think legs attached to a solid platform that adjusts up and down would be a more elegant solution for height adjustments, and much quicker than adjusting each of the 4 legs!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 6:52 am    

Charley,
I cut 'em off twice and they're still too short! Whoa!

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 7:13 am     Leg adjusters

People have asked for telescoping legs like a walker. That solution will hot work. A walker does not have to be exact since the walker will flex a level it's self where a seat is ridged.

Test stack 3 nickels under one of the legs of your seat. Try setting on it.

I even had a customer that claimed I had cut the legs on his seat. When I looked at the legs his wife had put felt stick on things so it would not mar HER floor. Sure enough one had can off. There was nothing wrong with the seat.

I checked many solutions.

I have several customers that have told me that they work for levers on uneven stages.

I have at least one customer that now has his seat tilted from the front to the back.

Many of the options I now have came from customer requests. This subject asking for adjustable legs. I started offering this and not one of the people on the form that was asking for them bought them. I kept track for the first couple or three years. I had sold several sets but none to the people with all the ideas.

The swivel and adjustable back angle on the other hand both went to the people that had ask IN PERSON got the first.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 7:35 am    

My first steel seat was a Sho~Bud.
It was a little too low for me.
I just added more padding to the seat and recovered it with fabric.

Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2016 7:56 am     That is a solution

Erv that is a solution but not adjustable. I have had 3 or 4 that have different height steels. At least one that plays steel at the low setting and plays the key board at the maximum height.

I have found that one steel play says HE would not have a certain option and the next player says I would not have a seat without it.

The swivel option is the best example. Many say there is not I could play setting on a swivel seat. Several customer tell me they wished the had had a swivel for years. Most switch from E9th to C6th by swiveling from one set of knee levers to the other. Others with a bad back love simply for getting up. It was actually designed for THE steel guitar players favorite keyboard. Roy uses it in his studio to swivel from the keyboard to his recording equipment. Yet others swivel from one instrument. Drummers also love them.

There are many uses for steelseats than steel players.

Sewing seats, Computer seats, Photography studios and Photography people that travel, recording studios, bar/counter stools, tall seats to make it appear that a guitar player, bass player, harmonica players, etc. Just some of the people using them.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com