The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A couple of Windows 10 oddities
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 10:41 am    

This is with a Lenovo Win 10 laptop.

I have it constantly on the power supply. In the power settings, I have it to turn off the monitor after 1 hour of no use. I have it set to never go to sleep when I am on the power supply. Yet, it seems as though the computer goes to sleep. I have to push a key, roll the move aggressively, or both to get the display to come on. When I get it to come up, it always opens file explorer. Even if I wasn't using file explorer before it "slept". I have found nowhere where there is a setting to do this. I looked in startup in task manager, and there is nothing listed to start in file explorer. Is there any other place I should look.

Well, I said a couple of issues, but I can't remember what the other one was. DAMN STROKE!!!

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 2:22 pm    

If I understand correctly, it sounds to me like it might be doing as you have it set to do; once the monitor is off, something will be required to turn it back on, e.g., mouse, keystrokes, etc.

The business about opening Explorer doesn't sound right, however. I'd expect it to bring up whatever you were doing with it when the monitor turned off automatically, e.g., if you were showing the desktop, that's what I'd expect to see when you re-activate the monitor. If it's not doing that, it doesn't sound right to me.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 4:53 am    

My unit was doing similar things, including completely conking out, needing to force shutdown (shudder).
I took it to Bubba the computer guy (that I bought the unit from) and he made these settings; haven't had trouble since.
Hope this might help.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 8:37 am    

Charlie... That's how I have it set. I'm not positive that it is actually sleeping or just the monitor was off.

Dave... I pretty much only have explorer open when I am using it. I'm fairly positive that it is not open when I leave computer. It really puzzles me. I ran Malwarebytes thinking it might be malware, like when download something and it changes your default browser, or redirects you home page. Nothing came up.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 8:40 am    

Dave... This just started in the past month maybe. I haven't done anything to make it start. I'm beginning to think it is "frustration" malware. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 8:40 am    

Good luck.
The oddities I found were like re-arranging my pictures into odd galleries. Mostly appearance things, like less color choice in saturation,
for those of us who decorate.
Fewer choices may equal fewer mistakes for the software, so who knows, and it depends on what they'll do next.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 2:07 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Dave... This just started in the past month maybe. I haven't done anything to make it start. I'm beginning to think it is "frustration" malware. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That IS odd. Have you tried Googling it, to see if anyone else has seen this behavior?