The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Wheel and Full Moon Closing on Broadway
Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2016 11:35 am    

I was in Nashville this weekend and was surprised to find out that two of the last vestiges of traditional country music on Broadway, The Wheel and Full Moon, are closing this week. This is really sad, as there are few clubs left with the kind of music I like. This isn't good news, but the world changes.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2016 12:34 pm    

I guess they couldn't afford to stay open, what with the big money they were paying the bands. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2016 7:14 pm    

I was at the Wheel not long ago and I saw the bass player give the drummer an enormous wad of money, was probably the pay for another show, so maybe some of the groaning you hear from the musicians there may not be totally justified. There was only one bartender at the place and I saw her take the money out of the register and it was a stack of bills almost a foot high. There seems to be no shortage of money in Nashville. Overall the town seems to have more money than it knows what to do with.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 2:40 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
I was at the Wheel not long ago and I saw the bass player give the drummer an enormous wad of money...

Well...I'll admit, 50 ones does look impressive when you stack them and then fold them in half! Winking

But on a serious note, I don't think I've ever heard tales of players or singers getting rich on the Broadway strip. But like opinions, tips vary.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 3:15 pm    

I don't know what the take is, but if you've ever hopped the joints down on lower Broad during the weekend nights, people are drinking and partying pretty hard. I've seen plenty of 10's and 20's go in the tip jars of both the band's and the bartenders.

I'm clueless as to what the split is, but make no mistake the visitor and tourist crowd is paying their way well to be entertained along the strip.

'Course since I've never played the circuit, I defer to those players who have experience there.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2016 5:27 pm    

A musician who used to play on Broadway told me it is not uncommon for some bands to make $3000 for a four hour performance, although this is not the norm for everybody. I know of a band that played at Pearls in Fort Worth years ago on New Year and made $7000 from the cover.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 4:42 am    

Sad to hear.

While the "quality" bands can still make some decent cash from tips ,if people coming in off the street to listen only nurse 1 Beer or maybe NO beer, the club can't make any money. Then we know what happens. The clubs are there to make cash from bar sales, Then, if the place is empty, no tips and no beer sales.

For me personally, I always put money in the tip jar but I don't always make a purchase at the bar. I'm sure the club owners do not want to read that ! Sad

We used to play clubs that had a small charge at the door,maybe 3 to $5, but they handed you a ticket for a free drink of some sort. So basically everyone bought at least 1 drink by coming in. This probably would not work downtown Broadway, too many clubs, too many bands !

It's a double edged sword.

Oh yeh, Dylan wrote about this back in the 60's.

"The Times they are a' changin'"

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2016 10:31 am    

I was at Tootsie's...you know the old joke "send me a request written on a $100 bill", well somebody actually did that and the band had no idea what the song was, they tried to sing the title but couldn't manage it...and all kinds of people there were sending requests on $20's.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 10:46 am    

Honeymooned in Nashville 8 years ago. Both my wife and I loved it and seriously considered moving there. (also came across quite a few ex-Jerseyites during our stay)
We wondered if those strip bands were just playing for tips or if there was some other compensation. Based on the general quality, I'm guessing they were mostly session players - or looking to become one - and these gigs were just to keep their chops up. But who knows... We went down to Austin last year and equally talented players really were playing for just tips alone. These are indeed trying times for full time musicians.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 10:58 am    

I played the Wagon Wheel once, in 72. Pay was the typical "Broadway Wages" at the time $15 for four hour gig. $15 whether you were Jack Stoner or Buddy Emmons, didn't matter.

I filled in at Deeman's Den, one night, and same "Broadway Wages".

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 11:10 am    

I was told there is a certain minimum amount that the bands are paid by the bar, it isn't very much. I have been there recently some nights when I was the only person in the club, so I guess that keeps them losing money on gas, taxi etc, and keeps the bands from not showing up or leaving on slow nights.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 12:47 pm    

"Thanks for all the posts about the Wheel. We have a strong love for country music and the real honky tonk experience. The Wheel name and owners are changing but please trust us that it will only improve. The new owner will be announced on Monday and if you love country music as much as us, you will love the new owner. He plans to close down for a short time to make some much needed improvements to the building, but will reopen before you know it with some of the same bartenders and bands as now. Please trust we won't let the Wheel legend die......."

I understand Alan Jackson is the new owner...

Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 2:41 pm    

You understand right, John. Looks like this much-anticipated loss may actually turn into a win.

We're not seeing a lot of that in Nashville these days so this is (at least potentially) especially sweet.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 3:26 pm    

Wonder if they'll be allowed to play Wagon Wheel there Question

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 4:13 am    

I was in nashville this weekend and never left music valley drive. for the first time, I never went to broadway. the bands at, the scoreboard, the palace and john a's were boiling over with talent and pure country music. steel guitars and fiddles, one group had 2 steels. 2 fiddles was the norm.
I was backstage at the opry saturday nite and it reminded me of a wake and going thru the airport. security and not much laughter get the next act on and get them off.

country jack....

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 7:44 am    

I recently read that Allan Jackson just bought a club on Broadway.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2016 8:39 am    

You read right, Erv...
http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/08/22/alan-jacksons-good-time-bar-coming-lower-broadway/89129022/

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2016 4:31 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
A musician who used to play on Broadway told me it is not uncommon for some bands to make $3000 for a four hour performance, although this is not the norm for everybody...

Figuring that equals about 150 people forking over almost $20 apiece, I'd have to agree. Very Happy

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2016 3:34 pm    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
A musician who used to play on Broadway told me it is not uncommon for some bands to make $3000 for a four hour performance

LMAO...no comment on that Rolling Eyes ... as far as "The Wheel" and other bars are concerned, they come and go, old ones close down, next day new one opens at the same spot... nothing new