The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MSA D12 lacquer $1,350 OBO (price drop)
Mark Smilor

Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 9:26 pm    

Nice lacquer MSA D12 for sale. I really love the feel of this guitar but took it out for a gig for the first time since March and realize, it sounds awesome, feels great but Im not getting any younger for sure. Im going to try to fill in as much as I can with this guitar as a few folks on here have owned it. It was loaded up by Tom Bradshaw but when I got it, it needed some minor upkeep and had it set up and normal routine maintenance. It was originally a 10 pedal 10 lever guitar and I had some work on it. The vertical levers were removed and it originally had a split Franklin change on 0 pedal and RKL. I had that changed and now the Franklin change is on the 0 pedal entirely with 10,6 and 5. One of the vertical levers had the 2nd string D# to E raise and this was moved to LKR along with the F# to G# raise on the first string. The E raise and lowers were on the right and were moved back to the left and the LKL now has the half stop on it. Most of the tuning nuts were replaced with new ones and although they do not need to be replaced now, I have extras to include. The roller nuts were custom made before I received it and are perfect. My favorite change on this whole thing is an extra LKL that you move your knee forward to reach. It drops the 3rd string from G# to G giving you a minor on strings 3,4,5 but also raises string 9 to E so you get an octave lower with the extended E9th with 12-9 being E,G#,B,E and the A and B pedals work the same with this grouping. On the E9th you have 0 pedal and Emmons setup on 1,2,3 (in this case 2,3,4) and standard knee setup. On the C6th, the 4 pedal starts at 6-10 as standard. There is a pedal where 4 (in this case 5) would be that raises 4th string from E to F, 9th from C to D and 11th F to G. On a standard C6th it would be strings 9, 7 and 2 but there are 2 higher strings that are F and D. The controls have been bypassed but there is a working fuzz unit on the D12 and have had some fun messing around with it and making noise. I cant remember off hand but can provide the copedent but since there are 8 knee levers, the C6th has 4 and E9th 4 and can chart it out if needed. Comes with the plastic molded MSA case and rod bag. It has the humbuckers in it and sounds really great. The D12 was given a nice setup and plays like butter and I love the way it feels and sounds. $1,500 + $100 shipping OBO. If you have any questions, please reach out and I will gladly address them. Thanks

Last edited by Mark Smilor on 26 Aug 2016 7:08 am; edited 6 times in total

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2016 9:51 am     Msa S10

Sent a PM.

jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 9:45 am     Msa D12

This Is My Old Guitar . I miss It.... Miss all the E9 Extd stuff it has .
Guitar has a GREAT Tone !!! But IT IS HEAVY .... Not Fun To Haul to Gigs.

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 12:58 pm    

You are right about that. After I got it back from having work done, it plays and sounds awesome. I used to take it out a lot and think I got used to the weight. Started taking out another guitar the last few months and playing this one at home. Decided to take it out last weekend and realize its a great guitar for playing at home or recording but man... Didnt realize how heavy it was.

jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 2:50 pm     Msa D12

It looks like the two vert. Knee lvrs have been removed . Is that true ??

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 7:35 pm     Jeff's old D-12

I thought that looked like your old D-12 MSA. Loaded but heavy. Whoever gets it just needs a dolly.

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2016 8:01 pm     Re: Msa D12

jeff reynolds wrote:
It looks like the two vert. Knee lvrs have been removed . Is that true ??
yea, when I had it done, I had the 1st, 2nd and 7th raises on RKL and the vertical had the 2nd string raise so there was no point in leaving it on. The C6th vertical is something I would not have used so I said may as well remove that also. Having the E's moved back to the left was my main concern. It didn't make it any lighter though. I almost had the 2nd LKL removed but I really liked that 3rd string lower/9th string raise.

jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 7:38 am     Msa D12

I want this guitar back .
Lets make a deal .

Call me 601-260-5206

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 18 Aug 2016 8:22 am    

Thanks Jeff,

I called and left my number. Talk to you soon

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2016 6:49 am    

Sale pending.

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 24 Aug 2016 1:08 pm    

Sale fell through. TTT

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 1:28 pm    

TTT for price drop

Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2016 5:38 pm    

Pm sent
Fender guitars
Fender amps

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2016 3:24 pm    

This used to be my very custom D12 10+10, set up for me by Tom Bradshaw.

One feature it has that's not been mentioned accurately is the roller nuts, they aren't gauged, but don't need to be, each nut is on a post which can be raised or lowered with an allen wrench, so each string is exactly the right height, and if you change gauges on a string, just adjust that string's roller nut height, and you're back in perfect height business.

Sorry the verticals have been removed, they had custom removable pads so you could still close the case.

Great guitar for a stay-at-home study steel. It IS heavy!

Joseph Sandland

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2016 3:35 pm     Msa. D12

Hello Mark, I'm looking at posting for the MSA D12. Would you have any interest for trade. I have 1950s Gibson console Grande Triple 8 with original p-90 pickups. I just head home new Grover machine heads put on 24 total 18 to 1 ratio. If interested, can send pictures thanks. Joseph Portland Oregon

Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2016 4:13 am    

I bought the guitar and yes it's heavy... Not that much noticeable than a solid d10.
I'm about ready to sell it. I hate to admit that I can't mentally get around having 12 strings.
I have this guitar set up in church and leave it there - I actually had to take off the bottom 2 strings is it to be able to play it.
If sell or trade for an all pull sd or d10.
Fender guitars
Fender amps

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2016 4:06 pm    

I bought new, a 1975 MSA D-12 and like a nut, sold it in So-Cal. I miss it, but yes, it was a bit on the heavy side. After I let it go, my Chiropractor's business collapsed. I miss him too. Very Happy

Mark Smilor

Post  Posted 26 Sep 2016 5:53 am    

Do'h,

I just realized I never requested to close this one. My apologies for forgetting