The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Why I Play Solo Gigs
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 6:49 am    

The other day I performed at a larger venue with entertainment scheduled all afternoon.
Being the first act I arrived early to set up. I was just about ready to sound check and tune up
When the next performers arrived… with tons of gear; big speakers, stands, snake and soundboard
with a sound person. (Their floor monitors were larger than my main speakers)
After a 15 minute lively discussion about where to place their speakers, I was well aware that
none of them had any experience with sound reinforcement. I thank God that I had setup early,
because I staked out the best spot in the shade. I used the time before my performance to relax and
get some coffee, wash my hands, and set out my CD’s for sale.
Then they wanted a sound check before I played, so I sat behind my steel guitar and smiled while
The “sound person” turned on the system… the three singers all had wireless headset mics.
I heard all the usual questions asked… “is the switch on?” “are the batteries good?” “Testing, TESTING”
Then the inevitable loud SQUEEEELL… of FEEEEDDDDDBAAACKK….. “I need more monitor”
The audience was arriving and they were still testing the mics, (The singers did have very nice 3 part harmony)
Then as soon as the last piece of duct tape was laid down over the mess of cables, I started playing.
I said to myself, “THAT”S WHY I PLAY SOLO GIGS”

Last edited by Dom Franco on 14 Aug 2016 12:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 7:26 am    

The band I'm in got an opening slot at a larger festival in our area. The headliner took forever with their sound check. We (five of us) set up our equipment, a few simple request for more of certain things in the monitors and we were good to go..Their sound crew thanked us for having our stuff together and being professional.

werner althaus

lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 7:44 pm    

I like this post.IME any act that knows how to balance their sound doesn't need much of a soundcheck, so naturally a solo performer will have the edge here because he has little to balance (maybe vocal against his instrument but that's it) while many bands don't know how to do that. Those are usually the bands who , instead of relying on their backline to hear each other, make it the soundmixer's responsibility to balance it out. The arrival of In-ear- monitors and headworn mics has made this problem a lot worse since balancing 5 musicians whose ears are plugged up, armed with mics that are at a fixed distance regardless of vocal dynamics (remember mic technique???) presents a fairly complex solution to a problem that doesn't exist if you simply achieve a decent stage sound with your backline. I usually just unplug monitors or flip them on their face when I see them so the soundguy can't put anything in there. Bring an appropriate backline, keep monitors for the things you can't hear any other way and keep the # of mixes down to a minimum and your soundcheck will take no time at all. Smile Smile

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 1:17 am    

OK, my anecdote: We (4 piece, no drums) were to be the second of two bands. We knew we'd share the stage and pre-arranged with the other band that we'd arrive first, set up our stage and of course the PA to share. We did all that, sound checked the other band and sat back with a beverage.

The other band played their first set, took a break with us, played their second set and then cleared their stuff off with great haste. We rearranged our back-line, did a quick sound check ... and then the host informed us about the Hungarian dance troupe that was to do a show in-between bands. Twelve dancers turned up, national costumes, the lot. The stage was a fair size for a 4-piece band but when you have twelve people dancing reels, it gets tight so we had to pull the backline and PA down off the stage. Wherever possible, we left cabling, just hanging it over the side of the stage. We managed this in ten minutes.

Hungarian folk dancing is lively, lots of stamping of big boots, which damaged the stage floor to the point that it became too uneven for safe dancing. So the troupe abandoned their show early. My guys had to rush back and put everything back in place and play longer, to fill the entertainment gap. Halfway through the second set, the stage team arrived to repair things for the dancers. We subtley hinted that we weren't going through all this again and then played for two more hours!

The host gave us a 100 bucks extra for the hassle so all is well that ends well!

\ paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Frank Agliata

Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 4:00 am    

Shocked

Thanks for the warning Paul. Fortunately there's not much demand for Hungarian Dance Troupes in Jersey, but I'll be sure to avoid sharing a stage with them . . Wink

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 6:40 am    

My pet peeve is bands that want the house turned up...

Two things.. the band is in control of what they want to hear in monitors. The sound man is in control of the house. When the band starts playing, if people are moving back or leaving, it TOO LOUD period.

And those fancy shmancy high dollar mics plugged into "automatic" EQs,... thrown them AWAY and used the EARS God gave you..

Ok... I'm done...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 8:38 am    

Don't have my repertoire up to scratch for solo play yet.

I'll let you know when I can joe pass my pants off then I'll be ready.

I think if I were to get that good a band would be optional on certain songs. Until then thank goodness for a band.

Although I do hate the fact that recently I was hired for a gig. Given a 15 min sound check an I spent that time setting up, tuning up and getting the right seating position. So sound wise I had a nightmare hearing the singer. My monitor was also off.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Miles Lang

Venturaloha
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 11:19 am    

As soon as I get my backing tracks together....

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 5:24 pm    

I was hoping to see something about playing solo I could use some pointers.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2016 2:54 am    

Quote:
Don Barnhardt
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016 5:24 pm Post subject:

I was hoping to see something about playing solo I could use some pointers.

Don, what type of questions do you have about giging solo?

I use background tracks that I make myself, and I play steel guitar and sing along with the tracks.

Here is my usual setup... I have larger amps for other settings, and I have smaller amps for little rooms.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2016 4:39 pm    

Dom...I would like to be able to make my own backup tracks. I have a Tascam multichannel recorder, band in a box, and a couple of drum machines but apparently I'm too dumb to figure them out. What I would like to do is find a simple system where I could use a snare and possibly a high hat, bass, and rythm guitar. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

werner althaus

lincoln, NE
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2016 7:30 pm    

Don Barnhardt wrote:
Dom...I would like to be able to make my own backup tracks. I have a Tascam multichannel recorder, band in a box, and a couple of drum machines but apparently I'm too dumb to figure them out. What I would like to do is find a simple system where I could use a snare and possibly a high hat, bass, and rythm guitar. any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Digitech trio plus will be your band in a box, just play the chords into it, select the style and off you go with bass and drums. Even has a looper.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 4:12 am    

Don:
The digitech Trio could work, but only on simple songs that repeat the same chord pattern. Intros and endings are almost impossible with it. I sold mine.

Have you had no success with band in a box?
It is very easy. Just type in the chords and pick a style...

OR: If you play guitar, just strum through the chords of the song and record on your Tascam as your backing track.
Dom

Gary Reed

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 4:57 am    

Dom,
What are those 2 powered PA monitors you are using?
BTW: oustanding performances you have !

Last edited by Gary Reed on 14 Aug 2016 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 4:58 am    

Software for backing tracks... ChordPulse

http://www.chordpulse.com/

$21.95 download.

Drag and drop chords, multiple rhythms, etc.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Gary Reed

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 6:58 am    

Sure wish there was a ChordPulse for Mac. Sad

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 7:55 am    

Thanks for the feedback fellers. I do have a digitech trio I may b unrealistic in my expectations. I guess my best bet is to take the time to learn how to use my Tascam. I hope I'm not too old to use it by the time I figure it out.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2016 12:45 pm    

My "PA" consists of Two Acoustic AB50 amps

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Acoustic/AB50-50W-1x10-Bass-Combo-Amp-112267130.gc?country=us&currency=usd&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CIj-48riwc4CFQKMaQodcscHWg&kwid=productads-adid^78244844802-device^c-plaid^143204807562-sku^112267130@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

They work great for small to medium venues.

They are supposedly designed for an acoustic bass guitar, but with the 10" and tweeter they are full range. (Why do they have 2 XLR microphone inputs?) They are more like a powered PA speaker than anything else. Great 3 band eq and a separate 1/8" CD/aux input.

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2016 4:58 am    

I used to make my own backing tracks, but now I use Band in a Box exclusively. It's pricey, but well woth it. The real tracks are unbelieveable. The tech support is a phone call away. I have well over 1500 songs. I put the tracks on an i pod and play them through a Carvin AD 100 Acoustic Amp. It has three separate channels...backing tracks in one, steel or guitar in another and vocal, if desired, in the third. I haven't found anything I like better. Then, again I haven't looked. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jim Smerk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2017 5:04 pm    

Scott Duckworth wrote:
Software for backing tracks... ChordPulse

http://www.chordpulse.com/

$21.95 download.

Drag and drop chords, multiple rhythms, etc.

You can grab a free version of this software HERE. I own this software and really like it for quick practice, but to create backing tracks with it to use live....well, that would depend on your Midi generator....