The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '' Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame ''
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2016 4:01 pm    

I was talking to a friend of mine a few minutes ago . Then the thought came to me . This is a ''three part question '' and i would like to see all three addressed if you will please . # 1. What qualifications does it take to be on the electoral committee for the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame ? # 2 Is there any steel players left in Ohio that could be put in the '' Hall Of Fame '' ? # 3 What qualifications does it take to be nominated for the Hall Of Fame '' ? Just curious , Thank you in advance for your help . Be kind please . Show some love please .

Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2016 6:09 pm    

Oh Well Hmmmmmm Imagine that ? Surprised

Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2016 6:22 pm     Isghof

http://www.scottysmusic.com/abouthof.htm
"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent."

— Steve Martin

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 9:05 am    

Ohio's Sonny Curtis who was with George Jones during the 60's should be inducted irrespective of where he comes from, in my opinion.

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 2:11 pm    

Wayne Hobbs comes to mind as a prospect
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2016 2:20 pm    

... as does the late Jerry Brightman, from Ohio.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 8:31 am     Sg Hof

Since the convention isnt on anymore I know Chubby Howard has been trying to get the Opry to have a hall of fame there. Just sometnig to think about. And I second Wayne Hobbs.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 9:27 am    

As with any "Hall of Fame" there are some that are not in that should be and some that one wonders why they are.

Maybe one of the HOF committee members will comment on the current status.

In another thread about where the HOF Plaques should be, I suggested the Musician's Hall Of Fame and Museum in Nashville.

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 12:31 pm     Hof

Thats a great suggestion Jack..inundate with enough mail and contact and maybe it could get done. Great suggestion!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 3:36 pm    

With both Scotty and the Convention gone, does this HOF even exist anymore? Confused

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 4:07 pm    

How about Sonny Curtis, isn't he from Ohio?

Eddie Moore

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2016 5:50 pm    

Doesn't Texas still have the Hall of Fame??

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2016 8:19 am    

Anyone know if Lloyd Maines is in the HOF? If not he should be...Stormy Smile

Mark Murphey

Nocona, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 9:52 am    

I do know that Lloyds in the Texas hall of fame.
Mullen SD -10 Pre RP, Zum Encore, Quilter Overdrive 200, Quilter Frontliner 2 x 8, Nashville 112, Nashville 1000 , Stereo Chorus 212, Marshall , etc.....- more four five six and 8 strings than I can count, and a border collie.....

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 9:56 am    

we are running out of candidates

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 11:38 am    

Sonny Curtis is a Columbus player and is a walking history book! He should definitely be in the HOF IMO!

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 4:47 am    

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Joe Casey on 7 May 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 11:30 am     The REAL Steel Guitar Hall of Fame

DISCLAIMER: I was on the Steel Guitar Convention Board (the official name of the ISGHOF committee) from Sept. 2003 to early 2015, at which time I resigned from the Board. I have been out of touch with the members of the Board since that time, at least as far as discussion of SGHOF business is concerned. The following is my personal opinion, and mine alone. Do not attach what I'm writing to any of the other Board members. But these are feelings I've had for quite a while and want to express.

First off, there is no physical steel guitar hall of fame to visit; everyone's clear on that, right? And the chances are better than certain that, excluding some wealthy benefactor donating a building and paying for the expenses running it thereafter in perpetuity, there won't be.

Secondly, no player's professional or personal lives are changed by being in a HOF. No money changes hands, no better gigs come to them, their mortgages aren't paid, their health, psyches, or marriages don't magically improve, their kids don't suddenly call at Christmastime. It's a feel-good moment that is transitory at best; a small bit of recognition in the winter of a musician's career. At one time the player was given a plaque, but in recent years the expense made that gift impossible, though one could be purchased by the player or his family.

There are now 80-odd plaques, or more, in storage somewhere in St. Louis, owned by the Scott family. What they do with the plaques is anyone's guess and their prerogative. These items could possibly be donated to any number of organizations, like the CMHOF in Nashville, or the Musician's HOF, but I'm more than skeptical that ALL the plaques would be displayed at any one time. Maybe one or two, like Buddy Emmons' or Jerry Byrd's. Or the plaques could be sold for their metallic value. Like I said, it's anyone's guess.

I firmly believe that, like so many other things in our lives, the Internet has made bricks-and-mortar halls of fame somewhat anachronistic, if not obsolete. What I've felt for years is that the REAL steel guitar hall of fame exists HERE in the Forum... in the hearts, minds, and opinions of the steel guitar community as a WHOLE. Membership in a hall of fame by general acclamation, by steel players of all skill levels everywhere agreeing that such players are worthy of honor and high regard.

Honor isn't a limited scarcity, nor is it a zero-sum game. Public appreciation of Player A doesn't mean Player B or Player C is being dishonored. Why there was so much angst and vitriol felt towards a small group of Board members (players and non-players, but all knowledgeable) sitting in a room at a declining hotel in St. Louis for 30 minutes once a year to decide whom they should "honor" was/is beyond me.

I'd see posts here wherein Forumites would say "he's got MY vote" when a deserving player's name was brought up, and I'd think "yeah, but you don't HAVE a vote." Until a moment later when I'd reconsider, because in the REAL hall of fame, EVERYONE has a vote; not just the seven in St. Louis, knowledgeable though they were.

The Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame has been mentioned here. The TSGHOF differs from the International Hall of Fame in that the inductees for the following year are chosen by the members of the Hall of Fame themselves, not a group like the Convention Board. It's a group of long-standing professionals who welcome each year's inductees by saying "you're one of us, so say we all." True, there is no building where fans can come and gawk at a plaque, unless they come to the individual players' homes and look at their music room walls. No, the TSGHOF resides in the hearts and minds of those who choose to agree with the decisions made by the player's themselves. And in the belief that a player was chosen because others, previously honored, want to share that with a worthy colleague.

The real Steel Guitar Hall of Fame exists here, as much as anywhere physical. There's no celebration event televised, where money changes hands with broadcast and advertising revenues. There's no honorarium where an inductee is handed a wad of cash. If y'all say a player is hall of fame worthy, then he is. Be happy with that, and if you run into such a player at a steel show, tell him what and how you feel, that he's one of the greats. It's that important.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 11:44 am    

Wonderfully articulate and true explanation, analogy and post Herb!👍🏼😊

Lyle Bradford

Gilbert WV USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 12:01 pm    

The internet the hall of fame. I like that. It has let me to talk to my heroes time and time again. Like Buddy, Hal, John just to name a few gone on. I still get to ask Tommy White, Paul Franklin and all the great ones here on the forum for anything thing I need to know and at the top of all of this is B0B!! I am like kid in a candy store I am visiting with the hall of famers everyday.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2017 6:11 pm    

HERB, You are such a great writer. You should be a Journalist as well as a Great Steel Picker. I admire your writings, you use words I have never heard of.
With that said, I for one think that the cast metal award plagues that the Scott Family has should be given to a museum to be displayed for the world to see. Yes, It is a good thing to have our pat on the backs for our Hero's in the computer world but nothing replaces the real thing of PRAISE in a plague. I think Scotty would want these to be displayed so the world could see what the years of his work had done. His whole ambition in life was to expose to the world our Steel Guitar World. J.R. Rose

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 6:09 am     Re: The REAL Steel Guitar Hall of Fame

Excellent post, Herb. No, you should be inducted.Cool

Yes, this is the place to list the many who should make the honor roll.
Is it the fact that there are many that makes us want to honor the few as best?

An ancient adage suggests not praising the talented, possibly because it reflects badly on the 'untalented.'
Professionals don't worry about such things, and amateurs don't apply, but separating the 'greats' from the rest never did either good.
Professionals know there are lots of greats. The rest aren't aware of them.

The virtual world has changed things. Whatever we do to make it more personal does good.
Herb Steiner wrote:
... if you run into such a player at a steel show, tell him what and how you feel, that he's one of the greats.

What's meaningful is what you'd say to the person, not to someone else to relay the message.

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 6:29 am    

Herb that needed to be said.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 6:30 am