The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old standards on E9th like Mr Tuttle performs..wonderful !
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2016 6:00 am    

I spent years and years on guitar learning to play chord melody style "standards"....Misty, Moonlight in Vermont, etc, etc...like Johnny Smith, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel, etc....never to their level, of course.
I used to attempt to play them on c6th and within the last few years started working them out on E9th. Getting some tabs from Erv Niehaus here on the forum really opened some doors for me and I learned and continue to learn so much from those. Seeing Bob Tuttle perform these on youtube has provided extra motivation...he does them soooo well. I didnt want to hijack his thread where he posts his latest pop standard tunes, but wanted to say how much I enjoy them and comment that if you like what he is doing but dont quite have the chord grips on E9th, that getting Ervs tabs has helped me tremendously...cant play them like Bob or some of the others but enjoy trying. Another one who does great on those tunes is Fred Justice, but he doesnt have the time to post youtube videos...too busy building great steel guitars for the rest of us !!
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2016 6:11 am    

Larry,
I just want to thank you for the kind words.
Bless your heart. Very Happy
Erv

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2016 8:04 am    

Well its true Erv ! Another thing I should point out is that Erv doesnt just give you the tab and say here it is...he gives you the regular music notation (in the original key it was written in) with the chords and the words, and he puts in his "fill in" chords and their names, so it makes it a true study lesson. If you take the time to analyze what he has done you learn a lot of the inversions of chords, and that, to me, is the key to being able to play chord melody on any instrument..knowing the inversions of chords. The melody should be the top string you play and by knowing the inversions you can find the right chord at a convenient position. It opens up a whole new learning experience that you can transfer to other tunes you want to play. I always marvel at home much time he must spend doing these tabs for us...but it has to be a work of love for him !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2016 7:42 am    

Larry,
Yes, you are correct, I love what I'm doing! Very Happy

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 3:04 am    

Erv & Bob are tops in my book!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2016 7:03 am    

Scott,
Bless your heart. Very Happy