The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  70's MSA question
Ned Ramage

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 1:24 pm    

I have a mid 70's MSA Classic D10. I bought it new. It has a volume and tone control next to the output jack and SuperSustain pickups.

I've always liked the C6 tone but have never found a great E9 tone. I've never really used either control, both always stay full on. Should I bypass the two pots? Would it brighten up both pickups?

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 1:32 pm    

That is what is being done to mine. The tech rebuilding mine called and said it sounds best with the pots bypassed. Jerry said it brightens it up.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 1:56 pm    

You might try a different pickup on the E9th neck, also.

Dave Manion

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2016 3:37 pm    

I got rid of the pots in my 70s MSA and although it's still "thick sounding, it has a pretty sweet E9 sound.

Keith Murrow

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 11:58 am    

I bypassed the volume and tone controls on my '74 Classic (stock Supersustain II pickups) fifteen years ago and I love the tone. It opened up the top end and really sounds great, in my opinion.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, it doesn't take long to wire the pickup directly to the input jack, so you should be able to give it a try with no $$ and very little time investment. If you don't think it sounds better, just hook them back up.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 11:04 pm    

'74 Classic with SS pickup(#1) with volume and tone.
Based on my experience with a bypass switch on other guitars, I'd expect the MSA to improve with the electronics removed. However, there are times when I use the volume knob to taylor the gain on an overdrive pedal(pre-volume pedal). It would be nice to have both. I've seen bypass switches added to guitars here on the forum. An added bypass switch seems like the best of both worlds.
J

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2016 2:17 pm    

I agree with Erv - bypass the volume and tone controls, and try a different pickup. On my (early 80's) MSA D-10, I really liked the Supersustain II pickups (before mine went microphonic).

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Ned Ramage

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 8:53 am    

Thanks for the advice. I'll disconnect the pots and see what it get.

I have a Lace Tonebar 10 on my Zum. I like it. Has anyone put one on a MSA like mine? How difficult is it?

I also have the pickup that was replaced by the Tonebar which one would be the easier replacement? I've never taken the pickups off and the Zum was like that when I bought it.

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2016 10:50 am    

Ned, for me at least, changing pickups is one of the least pleasant things I have ever done with a steel guitar. Since you live in Tennessee, perhaps is there someone close to you who can do that for you (they may have to build a different carriage to hold it. I have a Lace pickups on one of my 12 string MSA's and I like it. Sometimes I think trying different pickups is a kind of hit or miss proposition - try a few out and see which one sounds best to you. Also, I think it takes the human ear some time to adjust and get a good feel for whether you'll like it or not.

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Greg Johnson

Greencastle, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 5:33 am    

I have a 73 and I replaced the pup with a E-66 really brightened it up... I have had people tell me it sounds more like a Emmons now....
Quilter TT
Evans FET 500
Fender Twin 65 RI
American Takimine

Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 6:18 am    

Maurice Anderson said that he used an E-66 pickup on his guitar.

- Mary Oliver