The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedents
Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2020 11:27 am    

So what would be the Normal basic COPEDENT on a E9th 10 string with 4 floors and 5 knee levers?
To add to the standard 3&4 Emmons setup like is on most guitars standard off the shelf with normal setup and Copedent.

What Changes would be good standard to add with the 4th pedal?? The 4th pedal could be the 0 pedal or the 4th pedal.

and what changes would be good standard changes for the 5th or Up knee lever?
Looking for everyone's opinion.
I KNOW EVERY ONE DOES THIS DIFFERENT. And I am looking for ALL opinions on this,
Thanks To each and everyone that replies to this.
GO, Go , Go.....

Last edited by Jimmie Hudson on 4 Oct 2020 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2020 12:08 pm    

There is no best.

There are half a dozen relatively common configurations, and many others.

The floor pedals can be Emmons or Day, with the fourth pedal to the left or the right, so that's 4 permutations.

Four knee levers can be arranged in 24 different configurations, most of which will make sense to someone, somewhere.

The vertical lever usually lowers 5 but it doesn't have to.

The customer is always right.

Greg Milton

Benalla, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2020 7:48 am    

Hey Jimmie,

The half step lower on strings 5 and 10 seems to be the most popular for the 5th lever and is something I know I couldn't live without.

For a 4th pedal I've experimented with several at the 0 position - my current permutation is raising string 6 a whole step, which I use often with the A pedal as well as on its own. Other things I've tried there are lowering strings 3 and 6 a half step, and raising string 6 a half step and lowering string 3 a half step (for Mooney-type licks, which Norm Hamlet used). Of course the most common use of the 4th pedal is the Franklin change - lowering strings 5, 6 and 10 a whole step.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2020 8:30 am    

Levers: G raise on the vertical, 1-2-7 raise on LKR.
Pedals: A-B-C-Franklin

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2020 8:42 am    

With the exception of interchanging LKR and RKL to put the E and F levers on opposite knees, my basic 3+5 E9 setup is the same as the one listed on the forum for Buddy Emmons:

I would go with Buddy's setup completely, but I find it more useful for me to put the E and F levers on opposite knees, as per Paul Franklin - you can read more here - https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/007769.html. I use the string 5 G#=>F# lower with the E lever a lot and it is more comfortable to me to squeeze both of them inward, hence why I have the E lever on RKL instead of RKR.

If I have a 4th pedal, I generally put the Franklin pedal (lower 5, 6, 10 a whole tone) on Pedal 0 because I tend to like my ABC pedals shifted slightly right for strictly ergonomic reasons. I also sometimes raise string 1 a whole tone on LKR.

For the music I generally play on E9, this general setup approach makes the most musical sense for me.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2020 9:57 am    

Greg Milton wrote:

The half step lower on strings 5 and 10 seems to be the most popular for the 5th lever and is something I know I couldn't live without.

Same here. I didn't think I'd use that left vertical much when I installed it, now it's a major part of my playing Winking

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2020 4:05 pm    

Below is the 'standard' copedent for an E9 Zumsteel Encore. Very similar to what Dave Mudgett posted, and, IMO, pretty close to what I would consider a default 4/5 copedent nowadays, except maybe for the location of the fourth pedal. Apologies for the scan quality.

Jimmie Hudson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2020 4:37 pm     yes

Thomas Stone wrote:
Below is the 'standard' copedent for an E9 Zumsteel Encore. Very similar to what Dave Mudgett posted, and, IMO, pretty close to what I would consider a default 4/5 copedent nowadays, except maybe for the location of the fourth pedal. Apologies for the scan quality.

With this setup it looks like 3 Pedals and 5 knee levers would work really well for most players.
The 4th pedal May be a little more than most players really have to have. Thanks for the reply.