The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gold Tone ABS Reso microphone system
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 1:35 pm    

Does anyone here use these have have any input/feedback to share on this product? They have two models, one is a condenser that requires phantom power(not included) and the other can be used with an amp and has a foot switch pre amp. My reso has a pickup/saddle and sounds ok but I thought it would be nice to have a more natural sounding signal and make it a dual sytem.
https://www.goldtone.com/product/abs-c-banjoresonator-guitar-microphone-system-condenser/

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 4:21 pm    

You might take a look here http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=304376 were I am asking questions also.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 5:18 pm    

I've been using the condenser version on my 8 string resonator for about 3 years and have been very happy with it. I run it through a ART Pro II phantom unit to a Roland AC-33 for brewpub gigs and to the band's old PA or to the house sound system for bigger bars, halls up to 300 people, or outdoor stages. I've never used a preamp with it. To my ear, recordings of it give the natural sound of the guitar quite well. Being a mic, It will feed back if too close to a monitor and I've been known to put a handkerchief over it on a windy stage.

I have to wonder if the K&K golden or silver bullet might be a better deal, especially if you already have a suitable preamp.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 2:12 am    

The Silver Bullet can be bought with an XLR version with the preamp / adapter box.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Michael Maddex

Northern New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 6:52 am    

Dave, I have the dynamic mic version of the Gold Tone ABS with the stomp box preamp. I like it fine, the sound is clear but it is not loud. I get the best results not using an instrument amp, but by using an impedance matching transformer that also changes the 1/4" plug to XLR. I plug this into the PA or mixer.

To plug into the PA, a DI box will work just as well, but I can keep this little adapter in the mic carry case.

Besides getting a good, clear sound, I like this setup for the obvious reason that I am not tied to a mic stand. If it were combined with another pickup like you seem to be suggesting, I think that it could be super.

HTH. Have fun in your search!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2016 10:31 am    

Dave, don't have the unit myself but in my travels over the past several years it seems to be about a 50/50 split regarding the thumbs up vs. thumbs down on the Gold Tone ABS.

Dobro pro and teacher who also has a website store Jimmy Heffernan used to sell the Gold Tone unit on his website, but he no longer does. I haven't communicated with him about it and I would be curious why he now stocks instead the Myers "Feather" and "Grip."

Myers website:

http://myerspickups.com/dobroresonatorguitars.html

Jimmy's website, scroll down when you get there and you will see his spiel on the two different Myers units:

http://www.jimmyheffernan.com/

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2016 11:18 am    

I'm leaning towards the Myers Feather now. I wonder what's best for reso, 3" or 6"? Very Happy

John Ed Kelly

Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2016 11:12 pm    

I posted this in another thread, as well:

I have just started practicing with a 4 piece acoustic guitar group, as an adjunct to the jazz group i'm playing with. It's a band-within-a-band, so to speak.

Even now I notice that I have a volume problem (lack of, that is), so I have been following a couple of the SGF threads with interest.

One thing I decided was, that purchasing a commercial mic was just not for me, with respect to the $$ in would need to spend. Aussie dollars converted from US$ is outrageously expensive. I rang two shops for prices and was knocked sideways - not only could I not get a look at those brands discussed here - It seems that I would probably have to commit myself sight unseen (and ear, unheard) to any of them.

So...I looked through my boxes of ''stuff'' and found a pair of TDK HP100 over-the-ear headphones. I don't know where they came from (an airline perhaps?) and I don't know how much they are worth, but they work quite well, a speaker is just a mic in reverse.

Here's some pictures of the ''set-up'' - for want of a better word - and also a picture of the amp I'm using - it's a 90W Aussie made job, by Jade.

I'm not expecting to use a rubber band permanently, and maybe I'll cannibalise the headphone and use just the one earpiece - it's a work in progress.