The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do I use Audacity to record from Itunes directly ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 5:18 am    

My knowledge of Audacity is limited as I only use it when I converting vinyl or cassettes to mp3 using my usb turntable and Itunes. How can I take a backing track that I have in Itunes and record it to Audacity so I can change the key of the track. Thanks in advance.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 6:21 am    

You have to have "Stereo Mix" set as the default Recording device. Set Audacity to record from Stereo Mix. What you hear on the PC speakers will be recorded.

On many older PC's, Stereo Mix is called "System Mixer" or if you have a SoundBlaster its "What You Hear"

You didn't note what Windows OS you have, but go to the Control Panel/Hardware and Sound and finally the Sound Panel, Recording section. The Recording section is where you set the Stereo Mix as the default recording device.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 6:36 am    

You don't have to re-record it - you can import it.

MP3 files in iTunes are kept on your hard disk, and you can import them directly into Audacity. Right-click the song in iTunes and select "Get Info" to see where the file is. You'll see something like

/Users/quasar/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/The Dave Brubeck Quartet/Time Out/01 Blue Rondo aƌā‚¬ la Turk.mp3

(I'm using a Mac. It will look slightly different in Windows.)

In Audacity's File menu, select Import>Audio... and navigate to your file's location in the iTunes Music folder. Audacity will load it. When you're done processing, use File/Save As... to save it under a different name.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2016 8:20 am    

Thanks guys,,,I will give it a whirl ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 5:45 am    

When I tried to import it it said it couldnt import it because the file type wasnt supported...had to be in wav or aiff ? I think i will record it on my tascam digital which will make it wav and then import it into audacity from there and see if that works. Thanks

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 6:24 am    

Do you have "Stereo Mix" as the recording device. And, have you tried playing the song and recording in Audacity at the same time?

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 7:29 am    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
When I tried to import it it said it couldnt import it because the file type wasnt supported...had to be in wav or aiff ? I think i will record it on my tascam digital which will make it wav and then import it into audacity from there and see if that works. Thanks

You might need to install the LAME MP3 encoder or FFmpeg. www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2016 12:29 pm    

Bob, thanks for that...I will try it the next time. I got the other to work for me, but it was in real time and this would be faster for sure.
Thanks !